Probably my favorite episode.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 11:35 PM   #13
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
I was a little lost in episode 5 if anyone wants to dissect it for me. Or maybe I'm just looking for more meaning than there actually was.
Just watched episode 5. Did you still have an issue with it?
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 10:31 AM   #14
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Just watched episode 5. Did you still have an issue with it?
Spoiler
I just got a little lost... so was it just about cursed paintings, from that family line. But then there was the creature. And then the lead being possessed by the paintings. And the main witch in the painting... was she the creatrue? I'm not sure I understood how it all tied together.
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 07:06 PM   #15
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
Spoiler
I just got a little lost... so was it just about cursed paintings, from that family line. But then there was the creature. And then the lead being possessed by the paintings. And the main witch in the painting... was she the creatrue? I'm not sure I understood how it all tied together.
Spoiler
Have you seen "In the Mouth of Madness"? Same basic story, inspired by HP Lovecraft's short story "Pickman's Model", even though the title of the aforementioned movie is more similar to Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness".

Anyway, in both cases, you're dealing with an artist whose works (Sutter Cane's novels in 'Mouth of Madness' and Pickman's artwork in Pickman's model) have the ability to drive people mad. In both cases, part of the twist is that the work doesn't just come from the imagination of the artist, but real world inspiration. And they often portend an apocalyptic future for everyone.

Pickman was not drawing from imagination, but from creatures he knew and saw. I can't remember the exact wording, but he also commented how the images show "the darkness that awaits us all". That is, everyone will see the images, and descend into madness, like a plague. The main characters wife succumbed at the end, gouging out her eyes and cooking their son. The beginning of the end has begun - he was unable to destroy/stop Pickman's work from being shown.

Old 11-07-2022, 01:22 AM   #16
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Just finished this. Some thoughts...

LOVED episode 7. Not surprised when I saw it was Cosmatos.

Thought Dan Stevens accent in episode 4 was hilarious.

Episode 8 was mostly a Lifetime movie. Coincidence (or maybe it makes me sexist) that the female written and directed ones were the weakest? (Looked them up afterward)

Interesting that within the span of a week, I've viewed the only two examples I've ever seen of the lead character staring into the camera for an extended take at the end. (Kate Micucci in episode 4, and the movie 'Pearl')