Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 09-20-2006, 08:50 PM   #1
demonhunter
Kingpin

How Important is Smoke Free Environ for Buying Statue?

Hi guys,

There is this store in the city centre that has some old statues like Moore's Shi, Witchblade, the WonderWoman flying on clouds with dove, etc. They are in glass display cabinets but not air proof, they are open panels.

But the store owner smokes a lot there.

How important is a smoke free environment for buying a statue.
How badly can the smoke affect the statues?

Thanks.
demonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:58 PM   #2
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

That is so weird to hear. In California you have not been allowed to smoke in stores for years!
Old 09-20-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
vetteman
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Well if the piece has always been boxed and sealed, then it really doesn't matter. It is pretty air tight. As for a piece that has been displayed for a period of time, it is a huge factor. The smoke dries out and cracks the paint. I'm sure it can discolor it aswell.
vetteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:22 AM   #4
Mastermold
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteman View Post
Well if the piece has always been boxed and sealed, then it really doesn't matter. It is pretty air tight. As for a piece that has been displayed for a period of time, it is a huge factor. The smoke dries out and cracks the paint. I'm sure it can discolor it aswell.
Smoke colors everything else so I would imagine it would the statues too.
Mastermold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:18 AM   #5
UnicornPegasus
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

There's a comic shop in Austin that is in the same strip mall as a Pool Hall and they used to allow smoking in there. But the ventilation system was all connected so the entire store reeked! I, being allergic to smoke, couldn't be in the store for more than a few minutes before I started having trouble breathing. Anything you bought in there, comics, toys, statues, were all permeated with an undying stench of tobacco. It was putrid. Then, irony struck. The place caught on fire and they had to move down a few stores farther away, and renovate. Which coincided with the banning of smoking in public places too. But we still have yellowed stinky comics from them. And my Emma Frost DS figure still kinds smells funny.

Smokers suck. Sorry, but they DO.
UnicornPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:53 PM   #6
darthrobbler
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I avoid anything that has been smoked around for my collection.
darthrobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:21 PM   #7
riderV3
ROT Minister of Scientific Emergency Management

Like Vetteman said, smoke cracks paint, and the smoke-dust will fall and accumulate on your statue, totally NASTY!!!!!
I received two packages from smoker before, and let me tell ya, I feel fvcked up!! When I opened the package, the smell hit me like a ballpin hammer, then, the item is totally covered under a layer of smoke-dust, that one was a blister card figure, so it's easy to clean, but the other one is a bust, and it took me FOREVER to clean that up and still got smoke dust on it....
NEVER EVER buy a statue from a smoker!!
riderV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:53 PM   #8
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicornPegasus View Post
There's a comic shop in Austin that is in the same strip mall as a Pool Hall and they used to allow smoking in there. But the ventilation system was all connected so the entire store reeked! I, being allergic to smoke, couldn't be in the store for more than a few minutes before I started having trouble breathing. Anything you bought in there, comics, toys, statues, were all permeated with an undying stench of tobacco. It was putrid. Then, irony struck. The place caught on fire and they had to move down a few stores farther away, and renovate. Which coincided with the banning of smoking in public places too. But we still have yellowed stinky comics from them. And my Emma Frost DS figure still kinds smells funny.

Smokers suck. Sorry, but they DO.
Amen to that. Whoever created the cigarette was the most God Awful, retarded, doofus phile, lame brained, self-centered, tootsie roll eatin, slap jawed faggot, fart nosed buffoon in existence. You shouldn't feel sorry for saying what you said. You have every right to. Cigarettes are non necessities. Transportation is a necessity. Did you know there is 5 billion more cigarettes in the world than all transportation put together? Damn shame. If I am banned from this site for saying what I just said, oh well!
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:27 AM   #9
vetteman

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
Amen to that. Whoever created the cigarette was the most God Awful, retarded, doofus phile, lame brained, self-centered, tootsie roll eatin, slap jawed faggot, fart nosed buffoon in existence.....Cigarettes are non necessities.
Woh there! Since you are on this forom, I imagine that you collect statues. I didn't realize that paying $200 for $5 worth of resin was a necessity either. I don't smoke (except for once and rare while Huka with my best friend), but seriously. Lay off on the insults towards smokers and the "lame brain" who created them however many hundreds of years ago. This hobby is just as fivolous. Do what you enjoy and keep the ignorant and uncalled for insults to yourself.
vetteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:39 AM   #10
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I don't think my Sideshow PF Doom exclusive will give me cancer. Unless he's got something pretty wicked in that chalice to throw on me.

Seriously, I don't think insulting whoever created cigarettes is offensive or out of bounds in the least. I was a smoker for almost 20 years, and there is absolutely no good that has come from the creation of cigarettes, and don't anyone try to say "Well, states and such get more taxes from cigarettes!" If there were no cigarettes, there would be more people alive to pay taxes. That's a fact. Cigarettes, gas chambers, sawed-off shotguns: there's only one thing they're good for.

Last edited by rilynil; 09-22-2006 at 02:54 AM. Reason: My grammar skills erode after 1 a.m. :(
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote