Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 08-07-2023, 02:52 PM   #31
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forps is back View Post

So, what is your opinion?
I understand what you are saying and there is a part of you that is trying to help others but we are here to enjoy the hobby as this offers an escape from the real harsh world, and giving us constant reminders in multiple threads about the real world economics of this hobby is sounding like a broken record. I think you are slowing becoming the "Crazy Ralph" of the forum

You're all doomed if you buy these things...doomed!

unless it's a Harbottle sculpt

The SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 02:54 PM   #32
The SHOGUN
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiez View Post

MEXICO is probably going to replace china for production and generally speaking the cheap production of various products will become regional. I don't know how automation will affect this hobby but i only see it making production cheaper.
the day Prime1 has their products produced in Mexico is the day i'm out, officially.
The SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 03:00 PM   #33
Zombiez
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SHOGUN View Post
the day Prime1 has their products produced in Mexico is the day i'm out, officially.
what's wrong with Mexican production?? shipping should be faster and cheaper
Zombiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 03:16 PM   #34
KiDD
Mephisto

Quote:
No, it would be the tool to CLEAR the field from all competition. Having the 1/4 on a strong grip where basically only Sideshow is selling nowadays and then stepping in 1/3, it would help her KO all competition, once and for all. To end with the joke that started some years ago. I can see only Prime1 enduring such a "war" by Sideshow along with "niche" companies like eg ECC or PCS specializing in horror or 1/3 females etc. Companies producing comic stuff or trying to step in Sideshow's realm are going to be KOed.

It would also help the marvellous sculptors she has, to give us the best representations of comic characters in 1/3 line and immortalize these sculptors forever. If LBS can sell eg 400 pieces of that Bowen-looking stuff, Sideshow can easily sell eg >500 pieces.

Sideshow would "collect" all available money (via its 1/4 and new 1/3 line) for this hobby like a vaccuum suffocating competition by not leaving any money for other companies and their offerings.

But not now. In 1.5-2y time.
You do understand that the one's suffering for less competition are the collectors, right? -.-

One company KO'ing the competition, be it SS or whoever, would honestly be a dystopic scenario - but luckily that isn't going to happen.
KiDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 04:03 PM   #35
qz33
Baron Zemo

Quote:
If it looks good I don't care where it's made or who is making it. I'd prefer it all automated made by machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiDD View Post
You do understand that the one's suffering for less competition are the collectors, right? -.-

One company KO'ing the competition, be it SS or whoever, would honestly be a dystopic scenario - but luckily that isn't going to happen.
Actually

10 years ago the main "High End" comic figure producers were only Bowen and Sideshow.

This excessive competition, and the advent of digital sculpting that has allowed it, is the #1 driving force of the massive price increases. That is because all the "producers" we give so much attention on this forum is a mirage. The shared constraint and REAL source of all these things are the same few Chinese factories.
This is a unique circumstance where more competition results in higher relative prices.

"Oh but CHOICE!!, Competition fosters more choices for collectors' particular preferences!!!!" Yeah instead of 1- 2 companies making the same characters every 3-5 years there's 7-8 remaking the same every characters every year or two just to crank something out. Not even definitive, iconic, or "artsy" just more to crank out something "new! and exciting and different!!!". I'm not just talking Batmans, Supermans, and Wolverines. How many Mai 1/4 statues ? "Why enough to satisfy every whim for the low low price of 1K!" 2 Morrigan 1/3s within the same year? 5 years for a statue delivered? A retired banker as art director?

More than anything else rampant consumption and the competition allowed by easy entry is what is truly devaluing this "hobby".
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 04:08 PM   #36
solidgadium
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I think Alterton speaks a lot of truth not only because he?s in the industry but the simple fact that collectors with $$ don?t care that prices keep inching up every year. There will always be a company like P1 and JND and any other high priced company selling their goods because there will always be people that pay. I?m sure many of us can chime in here and basically agree with that fact from personal experience.

Here?s a little fact most people don?t know or care about. When the housing market crashed back in 2008 a niche industry known as the yachting industry barely flinched. Business was good and kept increasing while other industries crashed and burned. When Covid hit and decimated many businesses, the yachting industry had record sales and continues until today and into the future?why? Because the customer base has indispensable $$. The wealthy will always be wealthy and someone will always cater to them.
solidgadium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 04:12 PM   #37
qz33
Baron Zemo

You know how you go to the section of town with all the stores and restaurants and nowadays there's like 100 places to eat all in the same 3 mile radius?

It's like that. All that competition for the same pie makes it where they can barely survive and few to none can thrive and the ones that do are by hype not substance.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 04:28 PM   #38
Forps is back
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiDD View Post

Nope. You are wrong and this is why.

This hobby is a strange "market" where INCREASED competition leads to SOARING prices for customers.

The opposite of what is expected.

The downfall of the hobby started with the emergence of XM.

Here is why.

The factories producing this stuff are rather few and the painters painting this stuff are a "niche" themselves.

With Sideshow or old PCS on the market, Sideshow could produce eg 5000 Batmans and place an order with one or two factories. The factory would give a logical price to Sideshow (her input cost) and then Sideshow would price the end product wisely.

With the emergence of XM (quiz. HOW MANY GUYS know the true origins of XM? And why Sideshow NEVER cooperated with XM and never will?) apart from all the shady things it brought into our hobby (creating an online army of pushers, sending free statues for a "review" or "photos" to anyone speaking english, getting a REGIONAL license but then creating an "underground grey market" selling its products, numerous shady practices that Sideshow left unanswered due to her fear of Tubers and what would Tubers would say or how much they would cry "Bad Sideshow, bad Sideshow", "Sideshow is a monopoly not allowing XM to sell its products even in grey markets" etc), caused also something else.

In its rush to make stuff and then push it and push it and push it via its online army, via Tubers and via a "grey" market, XM started paying factories more and also was the first one showing to the whole market and also POTENTIAL newcomers/new competitors that

"Look, guys, these idiots are paying 1.5k (with shipping and middlemen fees) for that Bowen-looking Thor in order to get him from the grey market"

"Look, potential new competitors, these sheep are shelling 1k (with shipping and middlemen fees) for that Kraven. You can make LOTS of money in this hobby".

Factories "smelled" this development and started increasing their prices asked to produce stuff. A whole "arms race" started with new companies or custom producers entering the market and paying higher prices to factories in order to get priority.

Then they raised the prices to customers leading to a process feeding on itself.

Factories raised their prices, new companies payed more to get first on the line and they then increased prices to customers.

Having eg 50 companies and custom producers in this hobby, drove prices THROUGH THE ROOF.

But it all started from XM.

Well, we are here to reverse time, it is time for Sideshow to clean the mess, to KO competition in the comic-statues realm, ONCE AND FOR ALL.

Time for her also to HUNT DOWN newcomers trying to copy XM tactics (eg getting regional license but then selling through "grey markets" in US/Europe etc, creating an online army of pushers, getting Tubers as cheerleaders etc). HUNT DOWN any individual/company/retailer not abiding the law. Enough is enough.

I bet that if Sideshow KOs competition in this field by having a total dominance on 1/4 comic scale and then entering 1/3 scale to "collect" all available money like a "vaccuum", you can easily see prices going down.. Yes, im not kidding.

Sideshow will have enhanced power when negotiating prices with factories with the latter having few alternatives.

She would also price her products wisely as to not allow again new competitors entering the hobby.

It sounds odd but this hobby is an odd hobby where LESS competition means LOWER prices.

ECC or PCS have already found their "niche" (although im a bit worried about ECC, i don't like that Dino-mania, i hate these new Dino lines, they look like stuff in paleontological museums and i also dont believe that the market for such staff is deep. ECC should go back to what it does best. CREATURES). PCS has also found her "niche" (some horror stuff and basically hot females in 1/3).

Sideshow must then go after Prime1, her only true competitor. It would be a battle for the ages. Forps would get his pop-corn and watch this epic battle.

If you read some old comments of mine, i said that Sideshow should be afraid of Prime1, not XM with the junk it produced, when EVERYONE thought that XM was Sideshow's main competitor. Even Sideshow thought the same (that XM is her main competitor) and even signed some XM sculptors (for God's sake!!!!) and so she made crucial mistakes. Check what that "crazy bast..d" Forps wrote years ago and how he predicted even Chronicle's default!!!!

I was reading it yesterday and i was amazed by how the f..k i predicted everything. Forps, the LEGEND
Forps is back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 04:29 PM   #39
Freakyguy666
Sinister Six

Quote:
At THIS point, read my lips, at THIS point, i would hedge my bets. The market has gone TOO far

At THIS point, read again or get your glasses, at THIS point, i would cover my bets.
WRONG AGAIN dummy! THE MARKET WAS UP HUGE TODAY!
You are so clueless that it is better to do the OPPOSITE of what you say!

If I listened to your advice I would have missed out on another 400point gain in the market today!

Keep giving bad advice and I will keep making money doing the OPPOSITE!

Freakyguy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 04:34 PM   #40
Freakyguy666
Sinister Six

Quote:
oh look...Forps is back

Yes that clown show also said in another thread that he doesn’t like to make money!

Who would give this genius any credibility after that statement?

Freakyguy666 is offline   Reply With Quote