Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 05-20-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
MACATTACK
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Does Statueforum.com affect statue prices?

I've been using this site for a few months now, and have noticed that discussions / reviews seem to affect the price that statues and busts can sell for, particularly on Ebay. The SS Doom PF is a great piece (which I do own but in my opinion is not as good as the Hulk PF) but its price has sky-rocketed to over $1000, and I do believe this is due largely to the amount of praise lavished on it through this site. The Hulk PF seems to have levelled off around the $400 mark (for the green sculpt) but I feel that it should be selling for a hell of a lot more. However, the ravings over the Doom sculpt seem to dominate how good the Hulk sculpt actually is. Other threads seem to suggest that $1000 is what the statue is worth, but I'm wondering if sellers feel they can get away with charging such large amounts because of reviewers on this site, which again in my opinion is the best site on the web and is an authority on superhero statue discussion and review. I guess that any object is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it, but I also feel that people are also using this site as a way to determine public attitudes and price accordingly? Is this a good or a bad thing?
MACATTACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
Doc Sonic
Statue Forum MacDaddy

I think this site does represent a good cross section of collectors out here. That being said, yes I believe that the attitude of the forum is a good litmus test for what's going on in our hobby.

As far as the forum "setting prices", no I don't think that is possible.
Doc Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:44 PM   #3
Poisonous
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

People's opinions set the price of a statue and people went their opinions on this forum. That's about as far as i'd stretch this place actually "setting statue prices".
Poisonous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:46 PM   #4
MACATTACK

I just feel that, say for example in some warped reality, if the general consenus was that Doom PF wasn't that great a piece, would sellers be able to justify pricing it at over $1000? It wasn't sold for even half that price upon it's release, but it's 'value' has jumped considerably, and I'm pretty sure that it's not because they have sold out, but because forum members can't praise it enough.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:49 PM   #5
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I bought my Doom exc to flip I wasn`t interested in a PF that had fabric but when I took it out to inspect I was floored at how good it looked.
Now after I inspected it and it was mint I put it back in the box and I emailed a place for a custom display case for it but they never got back to me so it sat and since then it`s taken off in price. So i`ll wait til it`s movie time and flip it I can`t pass up to chance to sell it at more than triple what I paid for it.Now it`s a great piece the best i`ve even seen but if it wasn`t for the forum I never would have bought it in the first place but the pics were very good.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:57 PM   #6
MACATTACK

"Now it`s a great piece the best i`ve even seen but if it wasn`t for the forum I never would have bought it in the first place" Lord Odin

Odin thats kind of what I'm saying. Because we own the piece it's a great time at the present because the opportunity for a profit is ripe (not that I'd sell mine, I tend to buy statues because I think they are works of art, not to flip them). As a buyer though, it's got to be a nightmare!

For example I was never into the Attakus Hulk FS (from the pictures), but I bought it based on the strength of the opinions of forum members. Now that I own it I can't say that I'm as impressed with it as some others, but I paid a lot of money for it because of the opinions of many.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:15 PM   #7
lord odin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACATTACK View Post
"Now it`s a great piece the best i`ve even seen but if it wasn`t for the forum I never would have bought it in the first place" Lord Odin

Odin thats kind of what I'm saying. Because we own the piece it's a great time at the present because the opportunity for a profit is ripe (not that I'd sell mine, I tend to buy statues because I think they are works of art, not to flip them). As a buyer though, it's got to be a nightmare!

For example I was never into the Attakus Hulk FS (from the pictures), but I bought it based on the strength of the opinions of forum members. Now that I own it I can't say that I'm as impressed with it as some others, but I paid a lot of money for it because of the opinions of many.
I`ll buy if it looks good in person or pics I don`t listen to opinions.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:26 PM   #8
MACATTACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord odin View Post
I`ll buy if it looks good in person or pics I don`t listen to opinions.
Wish I could say the same, however, there have been quite a few instances where someone has said "It looks a lot better in person than from a pic" or "the picture doesn't do it justice" and I've bought statues on that basis and the person has been spot on and the statue has been great.

I think opinions are important, and I've discovered some magnificent pieces over the years based on other reviews. However, as a buyer, I am also wary of hiking prices based on opinions, and this is where I (and I think all collectors) need to tread carefully.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:57 PM   #9
Doc Sonic
Statue Forum MacDaddy

This is off subject but I wanted to chime in that I believe every piece looks better in person.

If anyone is ever on the fence about a piece see it in person first before buying, if possible. Seeing the lines of the sculpt in 3D as well as the paint tones and how the light falls on it can't be match by a photo regardless of the quality.
Doc Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:08 PM   #10
lord odin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sonic View Post
This is off subject but I wanted to chime in that I believe every piece looks better in person.

If anyone is ever on the fence about a piece see it in person first before buying, if possible. Seeing the lines of the sculpt in 3D as well as the paint tones and how the light falls on it can't be match by a photo regardless of the quality.
I agree.