Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-27-2021, 11:32 PM   #571
Starscream77
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankierock View Post
I really do like this…but with 5000 being made I’m thinking it will be available after market for cheaper down the line.
well duh. if the character isn't that important to you then thats the move. but that will be minimum 6 months post release so for some they'd rather just get it when it starts to ship.
Starscream77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 02:51 AM   #572
Frankierock
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream77 View Post
well duh. if the character isn't that important to you then thats the move. but that will be minimum 6 months post release so for some they'd rather just get it when it starts to ship.
Ok so wait..you’re telling me as a collector in this day and age when statues are skyrocketing in price and have massive shipping costs they can’t and will not wait just 6 months to pay what could be substantially less? If you told me it could take a few years as opposed to 6 months well than I might have agreed with you.
I get there will always be people who must have it in their possession day one. I would just rather wait a few months and get that same statue much cheaper.
By the way that also doesn’t mean the character isn’t important to me..it’s just being smart.
Frankierock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 09:32 AM   #573
Starscream77
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankierock View Post
Ok so wait..you’re telling me as a collector in this day and age when statues are skyrocketing in price and have massive shipping costs they can’t and will not wait just 6 months to pay what could be substantially less? If you told me it could take a few years as opposed to 6 months well than I might have agreed with you.
I get there will always be people who must have it in their possession day one. I would just rather wait a few months and get that same statue much cheaper.
By the way that also doesn’t mean the character isn’t important to me..it’s just being smart.

YUP. many of us have been doing this for years already because like u said ...its smart! I got my SS iron man MK3 for over 300 less what everyone else paid retail for it because I found a lucky deal and waited a few years.

if simby is like anything else in this range I'd say you could save maybe 100-130 within 1 year or so after it comes out if u get a deal. no tax, less shipping, cheaper cost on secondary market because SS has it in stock. To some thats worth it, to some meh why wait a year and have to hunt for the right person not being an idiot thinking they can still get original retail price for it.
I dont see us disagreeing on this point btw
Old 08-28-2021, 12:18 PM   #574
tonytiger
The X-Men

Quote:
YUP. many of us have been doing this for years already because like u said ...its smart! I got my SS iron man MK3 for over 300 less what everyone else paid retail for it because I found a lucky deal and waited a few years.

if simby is like anything else in this range I'd say you could save maybe 100-130 within 1 year or so after it comes out if u get a deal. no tax, less shipping, cheaper cost on secondary market because SS has it in stock. To some thats worth it, to some meh why wait a year and have to hunt for the right person not being an idiot thinking they can still get original retail price for it.

This only works for high ES and outdated statues..Good luck finding a sideshow rogue EX for less $1200.00... You could be dead by then or maybe a better one comes out.
tonytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 01:13 PM   #575
kvsm23vs24
Frackin!

Well yea. That’s why we talking about a statue with a 5000 ES
kvsm23vs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 08:07 PM   #576
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

Honestly I don’t care I POd because it’s only Statue I ordered this year and don’t plan on buying anymore this year . Confident this is a knockout .
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 07:32 AM   #577
Divo
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Never understood the intentional "waiting game" strategy in regards when ordering from SS, or your local supplier. I mean when you consider SS reward points, you are getting a discount with literally every purchase. If you follow SS social media events, rewards can potentially increase substantially, rendering the "waiting game " strategy less cost effective, & possibly not worth the hassle/time. I have not paid full price for any Sideshow statues in years.

Don't get me wrong. Save anywhere, and everywhere you can, by any means. But, if your collecting scope is large (as in many statues), The "waiting game" strategy can get pretty hairy/time consuming, as desired statues start overlapping, and you have to start scrambling.

For myself, in the majority of cases, it's simply not worth the time or effort. And after many years, time, & money with "this thing of ours", I have found a deeper understanding, appreciation, and focus on the type of sculpts i want to collect. The result? Very few regrets.

P.S. To back the "talk", here's the 'walk". I presently have Sideshow Surfer, Symbiote Spidey, Bats who laughs, new Cap, & Tweeterhead Catwoman on order, either through Sideshow or my local supplier. ALL are discounted. Just find a way, or keep waiting for another day.
Divo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 08:31 AM   #578
Frankierock
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divo View Post
Never understood the intentional "waiting game" strategy in regards when ordering from SS, or your local supplier. I mean when you consider SS reward points, you are getting a discount with literally every purchase. If you follow SS social media events, rewards can potentially increase substantially, rendering the "waiting game " strategy less cost effective, & possibly not worth the hassle/time. I have not paid full price for any Sideshow statues in years.

Don't get me wrong. Save anywhere, and everywhere you can, by any means. But, if your collecting scope is large (as in many statues), The "waiting game" strategy can get pretty hairy/time consuming, as desired statues start overlapping, and you have to start scrambling.

For myself, in the majority of cases, it's simply not worth the time or effort. And after many years, time, & money with "this thing of ours", I have found a deeper understanding, appreciation, and focus on the type of sculpts i want to collect. The result? Very few regrets.

P.S. To back the "talk", here's the 'walk". I presently have Sideshow Surfer, Symbiote Spidey, Bats who laughs, new Cap, & Tweeterhead Catwoman on order, either through Sideshow or my local supplier. ALL are discounted. Just find a way, or keep waiting for another day.

Totally understand where you are coming from here.
But SS points don’t always add up to deep enough discounts.
So I personally have 2 XM pieces on order (Captain America and Cap Marvel) 2 Queen Studio pieces..both Spideys..and some more from another vendor..those items are all close to $1000 a statue..I pay no Tax and shipping is around $100-$$140 (sometimes less) per item..and I even had a few from said vendor With FREE shipping on other products..the Tax alone pays for it’s itself. (Ohh and every dollar you spend gets you points to use later as well)

So I think this is where a large problem is with SS..they are a much larger Vendor than the one I am using, they also Make their Statues.
So how and why is it that other vendors are willing to take a little bit of a loss and get us statues with free shipping and discounts here and there…but the big boy who created statues with huge ES #s can’t even afford to give us free or discounted shipping? The answer -we all give in and just purchase as soon as we see something…(I get it…been there done that) but I feel SS knows this and takes advantage of the fact.. But I’ve become much more cautious…So now like I stated once before , I have to love the statue and the only other reason I pull the trigger as soon as I see it , well with things like the XM stuff…ES is 499….not 5000..so prices for most will only go up.
Frankierock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 10:07 AM   #579
Lestat Phoenix
Birdman

Quote:

There is no way I could wait for something I wanted for 10 dollars less a month and have to wait an entire year to get it. NO WAY.
Lestat Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 10:59 AM   #580
Starscream77
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat Phoenix View Post
There is no way I could wait for something I wanted for 10 dollars less a month and have to wait an entire year to get it. NO WAY.
I dont intend on waiting either.

but I suppose if you were a serious collector with ALOT of pieces coming in(not ME) then I could see it making sense to focus your collection on other areas first and coming back to this one down the road and getting it cheaper. its not going anywhere with that ES.