Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 06-11-2022, 04:52 AM   #51
Shoo
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent23 View Post
and Eddie is a cool new character.
I just watched all the episodes. Was I the only one who kept getting young Robert Downey Jr. vibes, especially before Chrissy's death? Not only did he have many of his mannerisms, but he somewhat looks a bit like him, too.
Shoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 04:54 PM   #52
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Gaten Matarazzo (Dustin) explains a fan theory from 2016 that actually came true this season.

https://youtu.be/WAuN5yVFkfQ
IcedDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 12:13 PM   #53
Big Hulk
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I finished part 1 of season 4. I definitely didn't see all of what occurred coming but I think it clearly sets up how this whole show ends. I think in season 5 Eleven will have to sacrifice herself to close the upside down for good since she was the first one to open it sending One into it.
Big Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 02:17 PM   #54
Augen
The Hulk

I just got caught up (I take my time) and I have to say this season had me the most interested since the original run.

I think it had a clear narrative through line and plan and splitting the characters up didn't make them feel redundant or useless in scenarios. I'm really curious how the new ideas in the Upside Down merge with what we've seen before.

The fact next two episodes are essentially movies gives me hope for a lot of resolution.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:55 PM   #55
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Welp, I'm disappointed. Underwhelming for me, which I'm guessing means most people probably loved it.

I thought the spider form of the Mind Flayer was too obvious for it to be based on Henry's childhood spider fixation, but they went and did it. Weak. It also doesn't make any sense. The sentient particle cloud already existed in the Upside Down (as did the Demogorgons) but NOW they're all part of a hive mind? Henry's the hive? Ok, so he used his power to bring them all together, to serve his will. Never mind another dimension. Never mind other creatures. ---The show just got really small. It's JUST about 001's vengeance? That's too small potatoes for the D&D inspiration, imo... I mean, he's still just a human. There's no reason any of that fire or gunshots shouldn't be killing him. He just has telekinesis. He's not a god. Pretty sure Eleven would die from a gunshot...

Too many random/arbitrary/inconsistent decisions. Can't remember them all now, but... Four kills? Since when? Why? What significance does the clock have at all? Part of the Mind Flayer in Russia...contained, but now just...gone? Into the bodies of the deceased Demogorgons? Reanimated them? And then they were killed, so...?

Even with the endgame in sight, this show is consistent in that it just seems like it's spinning it's wheels. Most about the last two eps was telegraphed. Eleven just keeps going through the motions of grabbing and throwing Vecna, and vice versa. At least the ending sets up a lot of possibilities.

Who thinks Max is 'dead' but Vecna uses her body, or she's some other conduit/tool for the Upside Down now?

Papa was handled pretty unceremoniously imo. I thought there were a lot more revelations there to be uncovered. Guess not. Reiser's character never seemed to know what he was doing.

Too much time spent lingering on minor character/irrelevant dialog, and not the core mysteries/plot of the show.

If the Duffers knew what they were doing all along (as they've said), this should have been told in one season. Two, tops.

Why did Eddie have to die? Oh yeah... new guy. The Demobats weren't leaving. He could have easily gone to the real world and nothing would have changed. And why did Vecna have to continue with whatever the plot with the portal was? He already had a few open portals that Democreatures could have been going through? I don't see much army though, except for the bats.

Sorry, it's scattered. Just the thoughts that I could remember. There's a lot more that just doesn't add up.

Have at it.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:29 PM   #56
MrYac
Hercules

i mostly liked it, but i agree with your issues. Eddie's death was so pointless, i suppose the main reason was because his life was over as everybody would've thought he was a Satan worshipping child murderer from here on. and Vecna creating the mindflayer is so disappointing and dumb.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 12:27 AM   #57
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
i mostly liked it, but i agree with your issues. Eddie's death was so pointless, i suppose the main reason was because his life was over as everybody would've thought he was a Satan worshipping child murderer from here on. and Vecna creating the mindflayer is so disappointing and dumb.
Yeah, talk about an afterthought. That's why these eps were delayed a month? So they could CG-up Vecna waving his hand at a dust cloud?

Anyway, don't get me wrong - I liked it. But as I said previously, it could be SO much better.
Old 07-02-2022, 12:36 AM   #58
MrYac
Hercules

i was really hoping the Russians had somehow trapped the Mindflayer and that was why he was MIA this season, but nope he never really existed at all i guess. and speaking of the Russians, i guess we're never going to get an explanation as to how Hopper ended up there or where they got a Demogorgon.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 12:38 AM   #59
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Oh yeah, and Chrissy's basketball player boyfriend? JFC, he's more of a deranged psychopath than Vecna. Way over the top. Just buy a gun and start waving it at everybody? "Make her snap out of it!" lol wut? Really? What a waste of time that whole subplot was.

And the Russia part was made relevant, but just barely. "Let's kick their ass here, so we can help them there remotely, hopefully!" Hivemind powers, activate!

Too often with this show I just get the sense that the end was written before they figured out how to get there. They've got the pieces on the board and then just make any old excuse up to move them.
Old 07-02-2022, 12:47 AM   #60
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
i was really hoping the Russians had somehow trapped the Mindflayer and that was why he was MIA this season, but nope he never really existed at all i guess. and speaking of the Russians, i guess we're never going to get an explanation as to how Hopper ended up there or where they got a Demogorgon.
Yeah, it's Star Wars sequel trilogy writing here. Lazy and not cohesive. Sure, why wouldn't an Upside Down-portal-generating laser in Indiana explode and teleport you to Russia? I guess??