Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Premium Collectible Studio

Old 10-01-2021, 02:59 PM   #511
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Zeppeli View Post
That's not a good enough reason to spend the price for this statue
Quote:
Other companies also destroy PCS in quality lol. They have far more elaborate bases too. There's a reason why Kinetiquettes Chun Li is only $200 cheaper than Hugo, but a far more justifiable purchase
I hear you and totally get what you're saying. Like 99% of the time, I'm saying the same thing. But there are exceptions to every rule and this looks like one of them to me.

Yes, that price is a super tough pill to swallow. But fans of this particular character seem pretty slim. PCS took a big chance on this and the even higher pricing is probably due to many production factors they couldn't escape for a piece with such limited and niche appeal.

My comment comes with a lot of caveats... if you're a fan of this character and wanted him for your collection and if this sculpt is your cup of tea (seems spot on to me, but fans might/probably have differing opinions)... it's doubtful this guy will ever be made again, especially in this scale.

Collectors have held their nose and bit the bullet for other pieces... this is one of the few where I see this justifiable for everyone's greater good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joppula View Post
Great comment!

If people want the T.Hawk, Dudley, Fei Long, etc etc etc. You buy this statue.

You want more Ryu, Ken, Chun and Akuma… skip these niche releases.

Again, great comment!
Thank you. On the flip side, I wonder why Hugo was chosen before a more popular side character like T.Hawk, Fei Long, or Dee Jay. But this is the current reality, so it is what it is.

Oy... so many Ryu, Ken, Chun Li and Akuma of various scales. Where so many lines have started and ended.
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 03:43 PM   #512
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

I don't think Hawk, Long, or Dee Jay are more popular than Hugo
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 05:00 PM   #513
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Perhaps. As far as I've seen, most people know Street Fighter II and it's characters pretty well. Hugo is mostly a trivial footnote to a wider/more general audience (if they even know of him at all).
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 05:30 PM   #514
ivory7777
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

the reason why they keep making Ryu, chun li, akuma because they are the safe bet. while other characters, specially male one, as much you like it, many collectors wont bother with them. eventually they will end up on a store with discount for a long time. It is very risky making them and costly if many wont buy them. we have seen that before. Hugo is also a big risk, PSC knows that and that is why they put Poison exclusive with him to drive up the sale. I wont be surprise seeing bunch of Hugo on ebay later from people who just wanted Poison.

In my personal opinion another thing that can drive up the sale is how well these characters are designed, their pose as well as the base they are on. for example, im not a fan of bison and i didn't like any of the bison statue from PCS. But recently i came across one of the bison statue and because it was well designed and the base he was on looked amazing, i really wanted to get one. unfortunately it was way too expensive (1600-1800 USD) and it was unlicensed which held me back a bit.
ivory7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 06:50 PM   #515
BurningRage
Inhumans

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLothos View Post
Perhaps. As far as I've seen, most people know Street Fighter II and it's characters pretty well. Hugo is mostly a trivial footnote to a wider/more general audience (if they even know of him at all).
Yeah I think most would want the Super Street Fighter 2 lineup characters over Hugo.
BurningRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:31 PM   #516
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Dan would outsell them all!
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:54 PM   #517
qz33
Doctor Doom

C'mon Jopp you know better.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 10:51 PM   #518
Biggunz
Loki

Can we start a NO MA’AM branch of statue forum :/ (al Bundy voice)
Biggunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 12:59 AM   #519
goatchumby
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLothos View Post
I wonder why Hugo was chosen before a more popular side character like T.Hawk, Fei Long, or Dee Jay.
Some theories:

1. Poison sold well.
2. Poison and Hugo have been a de facto pair since 2nd Impact (collectors gonna’ collect).
3. There was notable support from the reclusive and secretive big-body fighter community.
4. Joppula willed it into being.
goatchumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 01:09 AM   #520
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

Well it's also because they already had an unused sculpt of his from their canned 1/8th scale statue line. They updated it for this sculpt. If it does well I wouldn't be surprised if they do that with some others too
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote