Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-05-2020, 01:18 PM   #26621
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Jacob's Ladder (1990)

First time watching this movie and holy **** I was not mentally prepared for this trip! I havent been this disturbed after watching a movie in a long time (the "hospital" scene will probably give me nightmares) but I also haven't felt as emotionally moved in a long time either. I definitely felt David Lynch vibes from this movie, they took a lot of visual and storytelling cues from him I think.

I read that the director removed 20 minutes of disturbing scenes from this movie after the test screening left the whole audience aghast and horrified lol considering how disturbing the remaining footage was, I can for once say this decision was probably for the best (I've seen a ridiculous amount of disturbing movies, but rarely do they ever affect me like this one. There are only 2 types of visuals/scenarios that have disturbed me in movies in the past, I cant elaborate as to risk spoilers, typically a disturbing movie to me would have one of these things, this movie had both)

underneath all the nightmarish visuals and disturbing scenes there is something tremendously beautiful about this movie as well, it emphasizes the darkness but underneath it all there is also light. Its really hard to talk about the plot without going into spoiler territory, even then I dont think I could explain it, this is a movie that has to be seen, but even considering how tremendously fascinating and thought provoking the movie is, its probably not a movie that you'll want to watch over and over (unless you're a masochist that is)

9.5/10
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 01:24 PM   #26622
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

The Incredible Hulk (2008) - Bruce Banner, a scientist on the run from the U.S. Government, must find a cure for the monster he turns into whenever he loses his temper.

This is another Marvel Studios film I hadn't seen since its theatrical release and I remembered it being somewhat mediocre. Rewatching the first 2/3, it was very good--with the subtle nods to the TV series among other things--and I considered that it maybe aged better than I thought, but then the big final fight scene started which reminded me why I rank this at the bottom of the franchise. However, I do like Edward Norton as Bruce Banner more than Mark Ruffalo. 6/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:29 AM   #26623
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Blood and Black Lace (1964) - One of my all time favorite giallo movies, and the one that is most often creditted with starting the giallo genre. By my favorite Italian director Mario Bava (Black Sabbath, Black Sunday, the Whip and the Body) Its about an upper class fashion house with a lot of seedy activity going on behind the scenes, which of course leads to the death of several beautiful models by a killer who looks exactly like DC's The Question (The Question was created 3 years after this movie came out...)

Mario Bava is definitely a more visual director (he was a painter before being a director) the way he frames shots and his creative use of lighting is legendary and inspired many directors after him, and this movie is often creditted as the first 'body count' slasher movie. Typically in giallo movies the focus is visuals and gore, with story and acting taking a back seat, the acting part is true with this movie, but they actually did a nice job weaving an interesting mystery throughout this movie. They did a great job with all the kills in the movie, there was buildup and suspense, and even some great chase scenes, that part was very well done, and the director emphasized that was his focus with this movie.

Also, I may be wrong but the 'killer twist' at the end is something that has been done a few times after this movie, but I think this movie was the first time it was done (definitely influenced one of my favorite horror movies from the 90's) Despite the bad acting (and horrid dubbing) which one just has to accept as the norm for giallo movies, this is a really spectacular movie that I can rewatch time and time again - 9.5/10

A Walk Among the Tombstones (2014) - These kinds of movies aren't really my cup of tea, but I was hanging out with my parents and they wanted to watch it. Plus it had Liam Neeson, so can't go wrong there. Overall I enjoyed it, I think if I was a fan of the genre I would have enjoyed it a lot more, but there are definitely worse ways to spend a couple hours - 7/10
Old 05-06-2020, 11:47 AM   #26624
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

^ As a fan of Giallo too (and Bava, even though Argento is my fav) that’s one I’ve been meaning to watch for a while now. Sounds like I need to bump it up the list based on that review.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:04 PM   #26625
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
^ As a fan of Giallo too (and Bava, even though Argento is my fav) that’s one I’ve been meaning to watch for a while now. Sounds like I need to bump it up the list based on that review.
I think you'll really enjoy it, as a fan of giallo im sure by now you expect sub-par acting and dubbing (might be better with subtitles instead, not sure what you prefer) so im sure you'll look past that lol but the settings and kill scenes are phenomenal

Argento is amazing as well, definitely my #2 giallo director just narrowly missing #1 spot. He noted Bava as one of his main influences of his career (and seeing his use of lighting in Suspiria, one of my all time favorite movies, the influence is clear)

if you haven't seen Black Sunday by Bava I highly recommend that too, its in black and white, but his use of shadows and lighting in the movie is incredible, you'll forget its even in black and white, Black Sabbath is nearly as good and is his first movie released in color. My all time favorite from Bava though is 'The Whip and the Body' which stars a young Christopher Lee, its his best use of lighting IMO and it has an amazing setting in an old gothic castle, its only weakness is the music they chose other than that its an atmospheric masterpiece that you need to see if you haven't already
Old 05-06-2020, 01:19 PM   #26626
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Jacob's Ladder (1990)

First time watching this movie and holy **** I was not mentally prepared for this trip! I havent been this disturbed after watching a movie in a long time (the "hospital" scene will probably give me nightmares) but I also haven't felt as emotionally moved in a long time either. I definitely felt David Lynch vibes from this movie, they took a lot of visual and storytelling cues from him I think.

I read that the director removed 20 minutes of disturbing scenes from this movie after the test screening left the whole audience aghast and horrified lol considering how disturbing the remaining footage was, I can for once say this decision was probably for the best (I've seen a ridiculous amount of disturbing movies, but rarely do they ever affect me like this one. There are only 2 types of visuals/scenarios that have disturbed me in movies in the past, I cant elaborate as to risk spoilers, typically a disturbing movie to me would have one of these things, this movie had both)

underneath all the nightmarish visuals and disturbing scenes there is something tremendously beautiful about this movie as well, it emphasizes the darkness but underneath it all there is also light. Its really hard to talk about the plot without going into spoiler territory, even then I dont think I could explain it, this is a movie that has to be seen, but even considering how tremendously fascinating and thought provoking the movie is, its probably not a movie that you'll want to watch over and over (unless you're a masochist that is)

9.5/10

I agree. I have not been able to sit through this another time since its initial viewing.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:29 PM   #26627
SONICobra
Batman

geez, can you guys put a brief description of what was so disturbing in spoiler tags? im curious about the movie now but dont know if its something i actually want to watch depending on what it is lol
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:44 PM   #26628
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
geez, can you guys put a brief description of what was so disturbing in spoiler tags? im curious about the movie now but dont know if its something i actually want to watch depending on what it is lol
ill shoot you a quick PM
Old 05-06-2020, 10:47 PM   #26629
Demona
Martian Manhunter

All I had to read to know there is no way in hell I can watch Jacob’s Ladder is that the film influenced the video game “Silent Hill”. Nope nope. I had to play that game with the lights on and watch cartoons to clear my brain.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:41 AM   #26630
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
if you haven't seen Black Sunday by Bava I highly recommend that too, its in black and white, but his use of shadows and lighting in the movie is incredible, you'll forget its even in black and white, Black Sabbath is nearly as good and is his first movie released in color. My all time favorite from Bava though is 'The Whip and the Body' which stars a young Christopher Lee, its his best use of lighting IMO and it has an amazing setting in an old gothic castle, its only weakness is the music they chose other than that its an atmospheric masterpiece that you need to see if you haven't already
Haven't seen The Whip and the Body yet either but ironically I’ve had the Kino Lorber Blu-ray in my Amazon cart for some time, just haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Looks very Hammer-esque mixed with the trademark dreamy visual sensibilities of Bava/Argento that I absolutely love. Black Sunday and Black Sabbath on the other hand I have seen and are probably my 2 favorites from Bava so far.

Oh and on a side note Jacob’s Ladder is indeed a brilliant film. And Demona mentioned the Silent Hill video game so I figured I’d throw a shout out to the Silent Hill film. An underrated gem and by far my favorite film based off a video game.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote