Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 08-23-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
Darth Torment
What is a free gift? Aren't all gifts free?

Sculpting on a GG bust

I am working on making a custom GG Star Wars bust, using an exisiting bust as a framework.

What is the best marerial to use? Sculpey? Then hair dryier what I have applied on the existing bust? Will it stay on if I try this method? I am essentially making changes to the "face" of a bust that will require "parts" (mouth guard etc)

Do I suculpt the facial features on the bust directly but sculpt additional parts seperately?

Any help/recommendations with materials etc would be appreciated

Thanks
Darth Torment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
moore_000
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

I would use the Super Sculpey (beige) and apply the sculpt directly on the bust. The easiest way is to sculpt is to do it in layers with the face done first, then your mouth guard, mask, etc... If you don't want to stick the whole thing in the oven to bake it, then I would suggest using a heat gun. Hair dryer will not achieve the proper temperature to cure the Sculpey.
You can use Apoxy Sculpt, but this material only allow you about 2 hours of sculpting time and will cure by itself. If you are not very accurate on sculpting, I would not recommend Apoxy Sculpt because any mistakes/corrections means sanding. Lots of corrections means lots of sanding and sanding is time consuming and pain in the a$$.
moore_000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:21 AM   #3
SiMo
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

I'd disagree. I would definately use apoxie for preventig demages on the existing bust by using the heat gun. It becomes harder and resistant than sculpey, too. You can mix up small balls of Apoxie and work it out step by step, so you don't neet to hurry.

But I have to admit: I didn't try out sculpey on a resin bust yet: What temperatures are okay for resin before it's surface is gonna be attaked?
SiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
moore_000

Yes, Apoxie Sculpt becomes much harder than resin when cured, but it is very hard to work with for beginners because you only have about 2 hours after mixing the material. Try it out and you will know what I am talking about. One good thing about using Super Sculpey is that you don't like how the whole thing looked, you can always remove everything and start all over easily which is great for beginners.

If the resin does not have paint on it, then heat gun or oven at 250 degrees will not affect the resin except making it "flexible". It becomes tricking when the surface area have paint on it already. If the paint is enamel, then heat will make it bubble up. If paint is acrylic, majority of the time heating at about 220 degrees for 15 minutes will be OK. You can also cure Sculpey by boiling the whole thing in water, which I would not recommend if you are not going to paint the entire statue/bust. The boiling water had lightly "bleached" the paint off the surface on my project once. The paint was not damaged, but the colors had lighten up by few shades. I have also heard and had experience cracking from time to time with the boiling method.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:34 PM   #5
Darth Torment
What is a free gift? Aren't all gifts free?

I think going with sculpey is the avenue I will take. Curing it is my concern.

I want to make sure I don't destroy the resin on the bust.

I always thought the "boiling" method was not as good as baking..doesn't the sculpt tend to be more "flaky" and prone to breaking with the boiling method? Not that I plan on chewing or tossing it around a room when I am done, but just wondering.

If I choose to boil, is "fading paint" the only issue I face? The bust WILL have paint as I will be working with a Star Wars Mini Bust

Thank you all for your input. It is a great help.

Any other sculptors here have any thoughts on the matter?
Darth Torment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:40 PM   #6
moore_000

If your Sculpey add-on is not that thick, I would just use a heat gun at about 250 degrees for about 5 minutes on the area. Heat gun is not that expansive at about $30.00 US. If you are a beginner, I would not suggest the boiling method as it might cause cracking and it might be a nightmare for you if you don't know how to fix it.

I have done many projects using all of the methods I have mentioned. Here is the portfolio: www.photobucket.com/portfolio_000

The Hulk was solid 18+ pounds of Super Sculpey and boiled in water. There is no flaking on him and he is very sold after being boiled. He is so solid, I had to use a saw to chop off one of foot for adjustment.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:46 PM   #7
moore_000

I would not use Sculpey on sculpting as it tends to crack after baking. Use Super Sculpey.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:32 AM   #8
SiMo
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

moore_000:
These are really useful tips.
You'll never stop learning... :-)
SiMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Personally it depends on the resin you are gonna bake with the sculpty. I found that certain resins that are heated up and cooled down become more brittle down the line as if they werent baked. Some wont do a thing and others will melt. More plastic resin it is, more problems you may run into. Also found out if the resin is hollow and has a bubble in it, but you dont know it does will crack or pop. Rand into that once before.

Now you can sculpt using aves for some areas that you know you will sculpt right on the first try. Then save the Sculpty for the finer areas over the aves and bake it. I baked sculpty over aves plenty of times and the aves came out fine, even got hotter then resin and baked the sculpty faster.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote