Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 03-30-2021, 06:51 AM   #2151
SkilledButton
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_J.Warren View Post
You guys always scare me with your PAX system builds. I think they look nice once they're done but the inside of those shelves are nothing but honeycomb cardboard. I once looked at them at IKEA and it took me all but five seconds to consider something else. Have anyone on here ever had a PAX unit collapse?

Edit: BTW, my intention wasn't to make you doubt this at all. I'm so very sorry if it did. I was just re-reading this and my comment came off very cold and aloof. Tons of people have used the PAX system over the years and as long as you're using the support rods you'll be safe. You'll be happy with it once you're finished. They end up looking really nice.
My PAX display is new and I don't have any problem with bowing or weight. Before I put a single statue on it, I made sure it held my own weight without bending or bowing and once I was satisfied, I felt really confident it could hold up a few statues with half the weight added. I'll admit, I'm fairly paranoid, so I put two steel bars on each of my shelves... gives me peace of mind.

So far so good /knock on wood. I would definitely never put a statue in one of these units without the shelves being reinforced though... And everytime I see someone use glass shelves, my stomach turns in knots. But a reinforced shelf should hold a few hundred pounds, which is more than enough for a few 1/4 statues.
SkilledButton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:38 PM   #2152
Bubsy
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_J.Warren View Post
You guys always scare me with your PAX system builds. I think they look nice once they're done but the inside of those shelves are nothing but honeycomb cardboard. I once looked at them at IKEA and it took me all but five seconds to consider something else. Have anyone on here ever had a PAX unit collapse?

Edit: BTW, my intention wasn't to make you doubt this at all. I'm so very sorry if it did. I was just re-reading this and my comment came off very cold and aloof. Tons of people have used the PAX system over the years and as long as you're using the support rods you'll be safe. You'll be happy with it once you're finished. They end up looking really nice.
It's one of those things where if it's about to collapse, you'll likely see it weeks in advance if not months. It's not like an avalanche where one chain reaction and the whole thing comes down. You'll start to see bowing first and eventually the shelf will snap, but there needs to be a lot of concentrated stress or the laminate completely peels away or it gets wet.
Bubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:52 AM   #2153
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljaat View Post
I switched out all of the plastic pegs for metal ones that hold more weight. I didn't want to take the chance of it at all. With them rated at 275lbs (and with the metal bracket I have in back), I have no worry about 100lbs on a shelf. Statues are only getting heavier now days.

https://www.homedecorhardware.com/hf-282-24-720.html
Just FYI for anyone else wanting these. I ordered them yesterday. $5 in pegs, $11 in shipping LOL. They took my order no problem, then updated me today that they are backordered 6-8 weeks. Not cool. Requested a cancellation even though they have a 2 hour window cancellation policy. If they refuse, I'll just file a PP claim.
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:24 AM   #2154
Ljaat
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
Just FYI for anyone else wanting these. I ordered them yesterday. $5 in pegs, $11 in shipping LOL. They took my order no problem, then updated me today that they are backordered 6-8 weeks. Not cool. Requested a cancellation even though they have a 2 hour window cancellation policy. If they refuse, I'll just file a PP claim.
Yeah, that's not cool. I also laughed at the shipping being more than the cost of em. Sorry to hear you had issues with them, hopefully they give you no fuss with the refund.
Ljaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 02:59 PM   #2155
SDguy

Quote:
Yeah, that's not cool. I also laughed at the shipping being more than the cost of em. Sorry to hear you had issues with them, hopefully they give you no fuss with the refund.
Did a lot of online scouring, and it looks like these just aren't available in the US. Finally found some through Ebay UK. Still 3 week wait, but better than 6-8.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:06 PM   #2156
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo84 View Post
This one? You mean the white bar going horizontally across?. The link you sent me was a grey metal bar though?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubberma...0WHT/100003748

This link? Oh, I think I understand now it literally goes over the shelf itself. Now I get it that's the back of the shelf in the picture. So when it screws in does it screw into the back or the sides of the cabinet? Inside I mean ofc
Quote:
The desc in the link says white for me. It's the ones I bought. No screws needed. It slips over the shelf and isn't loose. I mean, if you wanted I suppose you could screw it onto the shelf but that's just extra work.
For anyone else like me that has both white and black/brown PAX, those metal tracks come in black too

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubberma...0BLA/100212779
Old 04-07-2021, 04:25 PM   #2157
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
For anyone else like me that has both white and black/brown PAX, those metal tracks come in black too

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubberma...0BLA/100212779
Yes, those are the tracks that I used. Just cut them to size and screw them on. It keeps those shelves perfectly straight.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:37 PM   #2158
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
Yes, those are the tracks that I used. Just cut them to size and screw them on. It keeps those shelves perfectly straight.
The 25" ones are actually perfect for the smaller units (shelves are 28"... no cutting required). Not sure if they make the larger (70" I think?) ones in both white and black too....
Old 04-07-2021, 10:03 PM   #2159
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
The 25" ones are actually perfect for the smaller units (shelves are 28"... no cutting required). Not sure if they make the larger (70" I think?) ones in both white and black too....
I bought the black ones. They do come in the larger size. I have the 93" x 39" black PAX. The shelves are around 37" wide. I have a angle grinder, so I was easily able to cut the tracks to size. I can't recommend the tracks enough. Especially for the wider PAX units like I purchased. Those shelves will sag with enough weight on them. With the tracks and metal pegs (I bought mine a few years ago from the UK as well), I have much more peace of mind that my PAX displays will hold up.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:39 PM   #2160
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
I bought the black ones. They do come in the larger size. I have the 93" x 39" black PAX. The shelves are around 37" wide. I have a angle grinder, so I was easily able to cut the tracks to size. I can't recommend the tracks enough. Especially for the wider PAX units like I purchased. Those shelves will sag with enough weight on them. With the tracks and metal pegs (I bought mine a few years ago from the UK as well), I have much more peace of mind that my PAX displays will hold up.
I honestly didn't think I'd need to reinforce the smaller PAX shelves, and frankly had I not had the aluminum LED channels mounted to them, I probably wouldn't have noticed the very slight sagging. But sure enough, the edges of the channels start to pull away from the shelf when the center sags even a hair.