Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 07-21-2021, 01:05 AM   #1
cocomonk22
Blue Falcon

Toys Wonderland Temporarily Closed Due to "USA Based Collectible Company"

Although not explicitly stated, rumors suggest the "USA Based Company" is Sideshow Collectibles.
cocomonk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:04 AM   #2
dao2
Cyclops

Sounds like SS
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:53 AM   #3
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

No one cares about Sideshow's actual products anymore since every statue company has the same licenses and does the same characters far better. Makes sense to me Sideshow desperately pushes out all distribution competition out as that's the only hope they have for staying relevant these days.
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:51 AM   #4
Silas Loki
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Zeppeli View Post
No one cares about Sideshow's actual products anymore since every statue company has the same licenses and does the same characters far better. Makes sense to me Sideshow desperately pushes out all distribution competition out as that's the only hope they have for staying relevant these days.
I don't know what's going on here - but I imagine if Sideshow wanted to compete with those "other" statue producers - they could do it.

My guess, SS doesn't WANT to increase quality or compete with these upcoming producers. If actions speak louder than words, it seems Sideshow is content to let its statue department (?) tick along business as usual. They know who their customers are, they know these are not people who want / are able to drop $1000s on a statue....
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:56 AM   #5
majestic1
Green Lantern Corps
Adamantium Member

I wondered what all the hate was about in Sideshows instagram comments.
majestic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:15 AM   #6
SDguy

LOL, business is business.

But "not able to provide shipping service globally" doesn't sound like SS....
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:37 AM   #7
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Hong Kong is now China. Wonder if licenses have some relation to that?
Old 07-21-2021, 11:02 AM   #8
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

It”s all about Sideshow trying to protect their profits. Sideshow controls nearly global distribution of Hot Toys products. This allows them to control the retail price and therefore their profit margin. It shows how much in many cases Sideshow jacks the prices up since these HK resellers can buy for retail in HK, and with international shipping, many times be cheaper than Sideshow.

Another example is their practices with authorized retailers. As a distributor one would think that Sideshow would want to maximize sales to authorized retailers. But Sideshow limits their preorder period, limits their allocations and I believe have been raising the wholesale price in order drive direct sales from Sideshow’s own website. That’s why some retailers like BBTS list prices above MSRP. Having their own points system and website exclusives doesn’t seem to be enough for Sideshow as the rise in popularity of Hot Toys, Sideshow looks to want to have the lions share of sales as direct website orders.

Plain and simple, Sideshow doesn’t want competition from gray market resellers. But as we all know completion can help control prices. So it better for the consumer.

The other benefit of gray market reseller is their products come from the early HK deliveries so are available months before Sideshow’s slowboat large shipment which take longer to produce.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:01 PM   #9
Master Pizza
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

If you're going to circumvent a system that benefits two major collectibles companies it's probably not a good idea to have a YouTuber peddling your site. Never visited toys wonderland but I've heard the name like a hundred times watching a certain YouTube channel and I've only been watching the guy for about 2 months.
Master Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote