Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 07-15-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
JAWS
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

SIDESHOW/WETA THE DARK LORD SAURON REVIEW

First off, sorry about the B & W photo. It's all I had still in my files and I don't feel like taking another photo.

Let's get right to the review.

Helmet Sculpt - 5 out of 5 - Well it's Sauron all right. It's armor and it looks like armour. Nice.

Paint - 5 out of 5 - Again it looks like Armor. I have read that some people got statues that were far too black. Well mine looks great.

Body Sculpt- 4 out of 5 / Pose - 4 out of 5 - Total - 4 out of 5 - Them are some skinny legs Sauron has got there. Looking a Saurons body from the side his legs look fine and would give the sculpt a 5 out of 5 BUT from from straight on they are just a tad thin. However you should almost never look at him from the side because Sauron is ment to be displayed high and looking straight out at you. At this pose he is PERFECT!! But he is limited to only looking great at this angle. Some of this is due to the skinny legs and some of it is the pose itself. But it looks fantastic when placed how it supposed to be. His cape in the back is also perfectly sculpted.

Weapons - 5 out of 5 - Sauron's Mace looks great but I LOVE that he has real weapon, "The One Ring", on.

Lasting appeal - 5 out of 5 - Sauron is hardly in the films but this statue is just amazing and one of my fav. pieces in my collection. It is the one that gets the most comments when people look at my displays.

Overall - 4.5 out of 5 - If The Lord of the Rings films had a place in my heart like Indiana Jones and Conan do then this could very well be my fav. piece in my collection. But Indy and Conan were there for my childhood and LOTR was not. So this gets ranked third. But that is saying a lot because he beats out some of my Star Wars PF and my Jaws Statue both of which also hold special places in my heart. Add to that the fact that Sauron is only seen for about 45 seconds in the film and that should tell tou how much I love this statue.
JAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
jollyskeleton
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

i've seen this in person before too, and its mighty fine! congrats!
jollyskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:10 AM   #3
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Location: In a country where inequality, oppression, corruption & racism reigns supreme
Thanks for the review. Would have loved more photos though.

I bought mine a few years back and only barely inspected him. DIdn't even move him from his foam case. He's up in storage somewhere and am looking forward to the day I get to really appreciate the dark lord for myself.

COngrats!
derekrodneysim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:16 AM   #4
johnclone
The Enchantress

Great review, totally agree on everything, I am very pleased with mine and display it at the exact same angle
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:57 AM   #5
oddball
Kindly Asked To Leave

one of my favorite pieces ever! one major flaw, no magnet to hold the helm on. i, like many have had to make repairs on the points when the helm fell to the ground.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:30 PM   #6
Vracula
Jedi Order

crazy piece,big azz mofo,9500 edition size is too much and really killed it's value otherwise this would have reached balrog grail status quickly!.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote