Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 09-30-2010, 06:55 PM   #321
joncorr
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
well apparently in about 3 months I am going to have to go from NA to Cork, Ireland, then to Munich, then to Singapore, then to Japan, and then back home. So obviously I am going to need some good reading material. A friend suggested reading the Dresden Files books. Anyone agree these are good to read?
The Dark Tower series by Stephen King.
that will keep you busy for a while.
joncorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:46 PM   #322
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joncorr View Post
The Dark Tower series by Stephen King.
that will keep you busy for a while.
already read that series and most of the books were really good. And then I read the ending. And then I felt like punching Stephen King. Bad bad bad bad ending.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:25 AM   #323
Screwball
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Right now, reading two books:

Frostbitten by Kelley Armstrong and
Sacred Contracts by Caroline Myss
Screwball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:29 AM   #324
Screwball
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
well apparently in about 3 months I am going to have to go from NA to Cork, Ireland, then to Munich, then to Singapore, then to Japan, and then back home. So obviously I am going to need some good reading material. A friend suggested reading the Dresden Files books. Anyone agree these are good to read?
Actually Jim Butcher is one of my favorite authors. The Dresden files is an excellent series but make sure you read them in order - I believe there's 11 of them out now - maybe 12 with a recent hardcover. He's also done another series: Codex Alera 5 books in that series (or 6 if you count the recent hardcover)
Screwball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:43 PM   #325
joncorr
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
already read that series and most of the books were really good. And then I read the ending. And then I felt like punching Stephen King. Bad bad bad bad ending.
Some people feel that way, some think it made perfect sense. I think it made sense there were hints along the way about what was going to happen at the very end. The only thing I didn't like was how the last third of the last book was rushed. At 800 pages how can something be rushed? King changed his writing style after the accident and it show most notably in the Dark Tower series. He starts to leave ends up to the reader and sometimes it works, sometimes it disappoints, but I think in the end its the right thing. Any way there is an eight book being written now. It takes place in between books. I'm not sure which ones.

Kieth,
How are you liking Under the Dome?
joncorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:14 AM   #326
Babytoxie
Ghost

I'm about halfway through Earth Abides by George Stewart. It's a post-apocalyptic novel from 1949 in which a guy survives a devastating plague and sets out to find other survivors. It pays particular attention to how the world would change without human influence, as well as how humanity would change as a result. Lots of interesting sociological discussions as well. I last read it about 15 years ago.

A major failing of the book is something that Protector2814 had mentioned in another thread: the lack of bodies. The whole issue of the millions of dead is inexplicably glossed over - same with abandoned cars. I'd think that a plague that laid everyone out in as little as two weeks would have left bodies and cars choking the streets and highways. Not so, here.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:08 PM   #327
JosephCPR
I am da law!

The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath
JosephCPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:59 PM   #328
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Just read 2 Vernor Vinge books back to back:

A Fire Upon The Deep
A Deepness In The Sky

Great Science Fiction. If you read on the Kindle be warned, Fire UponThe Deep is terribly formatted. For whatever reason the publisher decided to insert note references after just about every few paragraphs. It's a minor annoyance but I wish they would have left them out.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #329
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Read The Sledge Patrol this week.

Nonfiction about a group of Danish and Norwegian hunters in 1943, who were tasked with patrolling 500 miles of the Greenland coast to guard against Nazi hijinks there.

Let's just say the Nazis they come across far outgunned and outmanned them, but the hunters emerge victorious.

It's a quick book (about 200 pages), but has some great photographs, and it really shows the bravery and endurance of these fine men; one of the big Alliance victories of World War II (though it's also a victory most people aren't aware of).
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #330
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Finished the first Day by Day Armageddon. Great stuff, just started on the second book.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote