Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 07-15-2021, 10:09 PM   #121
lighterheaven
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
Cho isn’t the sculptor.
I'm well aware of that. (please refer to post #91)
What I'm saying is, when transforming his art from 2D to 3D, by directing the sculptor, I think he should think of making it more detailed and more intricate, instead of imagining it as his usual 2D stuff.

So maybe direct the sculptor to do more detail on the face instead of picturing it as his usual 2D art.
lighterheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:40 PM   #122
Otter
Justice League

I think this portrait is the best representation of his style in any statue so far released... at least that I've seen.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:44 PM   #123
Otter
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighterheaven View Post
I'm well aware of that. (please refer to post #91)

So maybe direct the sculptor to do more detail on the face instead of picturing it as his usual 2D art.
See? A 3D representation of his art is exactly what I am wanting. I'm okay with the lack of realism.

But now I understand what some people don't like about it. And it strengthens my resolve to purchase it (I am sometimes discouraged by others' comments... especially if it's a costly piece, I tend to look for excuses not to buy).
Old 07-15-2021, 10:51 PM   #124
lighterheaven
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
See? A 3D representation of his art is exactly what I am wanting. I'm okay with the lack of realism.

But now I understand what some people don't like about it. And it strengthens my resolve to purchase it (I am sometimes discouraged by others' comments... especially if it's a costly piece, I tend to look for excuses not to buy).
Well there are several attempt to transfer Cho's art to 3D. I think Supergirl and Harley statue from DC Collectibles are good examples, they did more details to the face.. not adding realism, but details. It's different.
Old 07-15-2021, 10:57 PM   #125
Yojimbo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkilledButton View Post
Don't bother, I read a lot of posts on here and I've never once saw anything from this person that wasn't a complaint... About something....
I mean, he’s not wrong
Yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 11:25 PM   #126
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Well there are several attempt to transfer Cho's art to 3D. I think Supergirl and Harley statue from DC Collectibles are good examples, they did more details to the face.. not adding realism, but details. It's different.
I also like the Cho Wonder Woman. And there are a few Jungle Girl pieces in a smaller scale that I like.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:01 AM   #127
lighterheaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
I also like the Cho Wonder Woman. And there are a few Jungle Girl pieces in a smaller scale that I like.
Yes, Cho's WW is also a good example. Sometimes the sculptor adds some details that can enrich the sculpt itself, even though it's not in the 2D artwork.

The key is, the sculptor needs to know/capture Cho's style perfectly, so he can add the details without changing the overall style and feels.
Old 07-16-2021, 03:40 AM   #128
SkilledButton
Nightwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
I mean, he’s not wrong
... Of course he is wrong.

To say this statue is garbage and has to be redone from the ground up? C'mon...

Is the portrait needing some work? Absolutely... But just because someone doesn't like something, doesn't mean it's trash and needs to be scrapped. Truth be told, I don't like this statue at all, it's just not my taste and not something I'd buy... But it's subjective, which is what the guy fails to grasp when he jumps from thread to thread -----ing about how bad every piece in existence is. If everything is bad and no studio can produce anything worthwhile then change hobbies, simple as that.
SkilledButton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:58 PM   #129
Otter
Justice League

Quote:
For me Cho's art is all about linework, and therefore shape. This statue has it. I guess I don't understand what you mean by detail.

I had Batgirl on pre-order, but cancelled it. I though it got the closest to evoking Cho of the DC Collectibles, but the character didn't really fit my collection, and I thought a masked face wouldn't do Cho justice. I didn't think Supergirl looked like a Cho piece at all, and Harley not enough.

The DC Designer Wonder Woman almost got there for me, but the portrait wasn't quite there in the production piece, and again the character doesn't fit my collection. Dynamite's Jungle Girl was in my cart during pre-order and again after release, but again it just wasn't evocative of Cho's art enough.

This screams Cho to me. I don't need to be told it's based on his art, it's obvious. I also love that it's his character (in as much as an over-worked trope "jungle babe" can be). My only hesitation is being unfamiliar with XM. Do their prototypes translate well to production pieces?
Old 07-19-2021, 06:13 PM   #130
lighterheaven

Quote:
For me Cho's art is all about linework, and therefore shape. This statue has it. I guess I don't understand what you mean by detail.
Well there are extra small details that needs to be done in order to translate 2D art into 3D art. It's too long and difficult to explain here, but you can see Fariboles statues, and compare it with the 2D art they based their statues from. There are intricate details that are added to the statues that are not in the 2D, in terms of forms and shapes.

I myself make concept arts for statues (the recent ones are DC licensed statues) and I can see how the 3D sculptors added details that I didn't, on the sculpt and it works perfectly.

Quote:
I didn't think Supergirl looked like a Cho piece at all, and Harley not enough.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that, but that's normal. It's personal taste and preference, and also considerations. For me Supergirl and Harley looks like Cho's piece.

Quote:
This screams Cho to me. I don't need to be told it's based on his art, it's obvious. I also love that it's his character (in as much as an over-worked trope "jungle babe" can be). My only hesitation is being unfamiliar with XM. Do their prototypes translate well to production pieces?
Yes it does, I think it does, however it needs that extra details that made the translations from 2D to 3D works better.
But this is obviously Cho's statue, yes. It's just that I think the face and hair can be better

As for XM, yes, their prototypes translate really really well to the production pieces. I know them personally and they are passionate on making sure that they deliver, as one of the owner is also an artist.