Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 01-09-2006, 11:19 PM   #1
bat_collector
Galactus

Bat_Collector's Review of Batman: Black and White Kubert

The Batman: Black and White series is admittingly my favorite line going right now. Each new statue is modeled after an artist who contributed to either of the Batman: Black and White mini-series. The lastest entry, released on January, 2006, features a sculpt modeled after Joe Kubert's art.

The Sculpt
Compared to the other four entries in this series, I would rank this my least favorite. While the sculpt is definatley in an inspired pose (a running Batman in a crouched position, complete with flaring cape), it seems to lack a little something when seen face to face. My main problem is with the face, which seems a little too blockish and has an akward neck angle for his position. The body is a little on the thin side, but this may match Kubet's art, which I am not tha familar with.

However, the biggest concern is the "displayability" of this piece. You can't really display it sideways, as you won't be able to appreciate the sculpt. You can't display it face-first for the same reason. The best way to display is at a 45 degree angle. However, the cape may then interfer with other busts or mini-statues around it. Not an easy sculpt to display.

The Paint Job
For being mostly black and various shades of grey, this series has had tremendous paint jobs. Each one is enhanced by a remarkably good paint job, and I've heard no serious complaints about bad paint jobs done by the factory. This sculpt is no exception.

Other Points
One warning I must give is a breakage warning. Apparently my shop had to send a few of the lot back due to a breakage of the sculpt on the wrist supporting the body to the base. This is particularly amazing as its such a small piece you would not think there was a breakage danger. Check you're piece for damage before you walk out of the store with it. Also, this is the first piece priced MSRP at $55.00, a 10 dollar hike from the previous four. Its is also the lowest run of the set, at 3,800. The Bisley version, the second lowest, is at an even 5,000.

Conclusion
So, as a stand alone piece, the Kubert version is easily the worst of the lot. Yes, I even prefer the over-musculed Bisley version (the second least favorite of the line for me). However, the unique pose is eye catching, and the paint job is nicely done. I'd give it a 3 out of 5 stars. However, I would heartily recommend as buying this to complete the set. The five mini-statues work well together (check the forum for pics of them as a group), and this piece adds a unique pose and a dynamism that makes it a valuable part of the set. While you may not want it without buying the other four, definately consider getting this one if you do plan on owning more than one version.

Last edited by d rod; 01-10-2006 at 01:45 AM.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:06 AM   #2
Babytoxie
Ghost

Agreed! I love it, at it captures Kubert's art fairly well, but it doesn't work all that well on its own. Looks like it should be part of a diorama.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:40 AM   #3
Tony Coca
Teflon Don

What does he know.

Nah good Review BC.
Tony Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 06:28 AM   #4
bane
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Yep good review thanks was helpfull to me.
bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:12 PM   #5
Sniper
Objectivo Bastardo

the 10 dollar hike blows!!!
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 02:19 PM   #6
bane
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
the 10 dollar hike blows!!!

But they're still affordable , compared to their so called FS statues .
bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 02:29 PM   #7
ftrez
Nightwing

Thanks for the review.

I prefer this statue to the Tim Sale version, where the face really bothers me. Too much Homer Simpson & too little Tim Sale. Don't get me wrong, it generally conforms to Sale's artwork, but if you don't look at that statue and see Homer, you need your eyes checked.

This piece on the other hand, is a very good representation of Joe Kubert's artwork. As to displaying it, put it at a 45 degree angle if you like. Not a big deal to me. I'll put them any way they look good.

My personal favorite is the Eduardo Risso piece which is my favorite Batman Scuplt. Ever.
ftrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 02:39 PM   #8
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftrez
Thanks for the review.

I prefer this statue to the Tim Sale version, where the face really bothers me. Too much Homer Simpson & too little Tim Sale. Don't get me wrong, it generally conforms to Sale's artwork, but if you don't look at that statue and see Homer, you need your eyes checked.

This piece on the other hand, is a very good representation of Joe Kubert's artwork. As to displaying it, put it at a 45 degree angle if you like. Not a big deal to me. I'll put them any way they look good.

My personal favorite is the Eduardo Risso piece which is my favorite Batman Scuplt. Ever.
Nice points. Risso is my fav, by far, of the set.

HOwever, I love the Sale version. REally really nice. Don't mind the face so much. Look at the DC direct toy, this one is better than that at least.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:43 PM   #9
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Very nice review Bat's. I know how much you like this line which is excellent IMO.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:31 PM   #10
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye
Very nice review Bat's. I know how much you like this line which is excellent IMO.
Thanks Bullseye. I'm tryign to be very objective with all the statue reviews I will be doing. Admittingly, being objective is very difficult for me to do.