Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > CS Moore Studio

Old 04-24-2007, 02:50 PM   #21
heykool69
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

I don't know what was the price for the original AIX. But i doubted it if it's now worth below cost. So original owner are still getting their's worth. It's traumatizing for flippers. But for me, I'm glad I was able to get my hand on this newer version of base & color scheme.
heykool69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:52 PM   #22
rico1701
It's not the years, it's the mileage

For me, whether it says AP or what that means isn't the point at all. The company found a problem and are fixing it without any questions. That's all that really matters in the end. Customer satisfaction.
rico1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:57 PM   #23
GangstaRoranous
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heykool69 View Post
I don't know what was the price for the original AIX. But i doubted it if it's now worth below cost. So original owner are still getting their's worth. It's traumatizing for flippers. But for me, I'm glad I was able to get my hand on this newer version of base & color scheme.
Me too. I am very happy that this new version was done. There is/was obviously a demand for it so I don't get the complaining. Are people really that worried about the secondary market value? It is very simple in the end, if you don't like it...don't buy it. If you don't like the way C.S. Moore does business, then don't buy their products.
GangstaRoranous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:09 PM   #24
Johnneeukca
New Republic

The original is going for over $350.
Johnneeukca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:14 PM   #25
heykool69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnneeukca View Post
The original is going for over $350.
Sorry. What i meant was retailed.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:16 PM   #26
heykool69

We're gonna hear about this again when the Magdelena AP is release
Old 04-24-2007, 04:27 PM   #27
feeter
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

If a company released twice as many AP as the Regular run I bet some people would still pay more for it HAHA
feeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:01 PM   #28
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

sdbuzz,
I hate to inform you but many companies have recalled pieces that have flaws. How many times has BD done it? Don't be saying, well, they're not AP's. It doesn't matter. Because an item is a regular edition or exclusive, it makes it ok to sell defective product? The bottom line is that they do what they can to fix the situation.
As far as releasing items, you do not know what his agreement is with the license owner. They dictate how many you have to do if it's in the contract. Before you start slamming someone, make sure you get the facts straight.
Problems occur constantly. I get them. I make plenty of mistakes and all I can do, like manufacturers, is try to fix them. Everyone won't be happy (like you for instance) but one has to live with it. It is your right to be upset but making assumptions against him is uncalled for.
Say that you're upset and say that it's not fair or that you will never collect his product. Just don't slam without all the facts and make it personal.
d rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:11 PM   #29
ComputerFly
The Phantom

Hey sd, take a break dude, I don't think any of us here are being 'fooled' into thinking this statue is something it's not. We all realize this isn't some special 'precious' pre-production cast of the statue, that was hand-checked by the artist. We all realize it's really just a variant on an existing statue. I do agree that Clay should change the naming convention to something less than Artist Proof. Despite what his definition of it is, to a lot of us, it means something totally different.

Clay takes care of his customers, that's what the praise is for. Unlike the manufacturer you mentioned, who left 850 customers with something that was not as advertised.

Have a nice day
ComputerFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:13 PM   #30
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbuzzcut View Post
A few thoughts regarding the Aphrodite IX Artist’s Proof statue debacle…

For all of those who keep saying over and over again what a class act Moore Studios is (because they are replacing defective statues, as would be expected of any merchandiser who ships defective products), consider this:

If this had been a TRUE Artist’s Proof edition, NONE of these defective statues would have been shipped to customers. A true Artist Proof piece is supposed to be released at the same time as the regular edition and is more valuable than the regular edition because it receives very special handling from the artist himself. The artist is supposed to verify the reproduction process is as perfect as possible, and faithfully captures the original and is not in any way defective. Had Clayburn Moore himself carefully examined all of the statues in this Artist’s Proof edition as he should have, none of these statues would have found their way into collector’s hands. This is why Artist Proof editions are usually limited to 10 or 20 pieces, because of the amount of time the artist must spend inspecting the statues. To those of you who ordered an Artist Proof statue in good faith, you didn’t get what you paid for. Even the ones he signed that were defective weren’t caught.

To those of you who think it’s okay because Clayburn Moore shouldn’t be expected to personally inspect 500 pieces, I reply, “Then don’t call it an Artist Proof edition” so that you can “legitimately” release another 500 pieces of a limited edition you sold years earlier.

Moore has re-released an existing limited edition statue (sometimes years later) as an Artist Proof or with a slightly different paint job, reducing the value of the original edition for those that had purchased the original edition in good faith. Yes, Bowen releases a couple variants of a statue but they are all released at the same time and the collectors know in advance there are variants, and make their buying decisions accordingly.

Consider the release of another 50 bronze Barbarian statues. The original edition was supposed to be strictly limited, yet here comes another 50. How does an artist keep releasing statues from a strictly limited edition and keep their status as a class act? If a fine art painter released more reproductions of a painting above and beyond the original edition number they would lose all credibility with the purchasing public.

If you disagree with this, A) you don't know the meaning of "Artist Proof" or "limited edition" or B) you were able to get an Aphrodite statue from this release, having missed out on the original regular edition.
Lately I've been trying to keep my mouth quiet since a Mod is supposed to be neutral. Of course, I also feel that it is my job to keep help out people who are misinformed and state incorrect "facts"

An artist proof is NOT an item which receives "very special handing" from the producer. A true artist proof piece is an un-numbered piece which is meant as a replacement for any numbered pieces which are broken before they reach a retail outlet. Once all numbered pieces are accounted for and the producer won't receive any further returns, these un-numbered pieces receive the letters "AP" on the bottom to denote the fact they are outside the regular numbered run. In any case, neither numbered pieces NOR APs are initially inspected by the producers. Only upon receiving a return, and replacing it with a newly number AP, does a producer inspect anything. The reason why there are usually "10 or 20" APs (not sure where you got those numbers anyway) is because a company only produces a small amount of replacements for the regular run. An APs increased value has nothing to do with anything besides some people thinking they are rare and hence worth more. The fact of the matter is that there are more APs of a piece than any single #. My 249 of 500 is more rare than an AP of that piece when you think about it.

What you are referring to (even though you don't know it) is a Manufacturers Proof, which are pieces the factory produces to be inspected by a producer to confirm the sculpt/paint/packaging are ok for final production. These pieces are often very limited (maybe 5 of them). Sometimes when these hit the public they will be marked "MP" or sometimes #0/whatever number.

As for Clay re-releasing an existing piece with a "slightly different paint job", perhaps you failed to notice the entirely new base which comes along with the piece. Clay is also not in the business of making sure that older pieces retain their value. There was obviously enough demand for another 500 of these pieces, and Clay filled it. In fact, I would go so far as to say that Clay was classy enough to change the piece as much as possible to AVOID releasing the "same" statue over again. This is also the reason the piece is being called an Artist Proof, to further try to distinguish it from the previous release.

Is this piece a "true" artist proof? No. But neither are Hard Hero pieces or ANY company releasing numbered APs.

Regardless, the fact that you are complaining about the piece being called an AP, when YOU don't know the meaning of AP, is a bit ironic. I suggest a little more research and a lot less attitude the next time you decide to post about something you don't understand
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote