Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Iron Studios

Old 05-08-2021, 05:55 AM   #461
Iacon13
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Your pics are awesome and your statement is 100% correct! Congrats! Love your image of Moonknight along side DD!
One day it will happen for me.
Iacon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:47 AM   #462
Xenoburger
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Regret not picking this up. Too many more important pieces coming out recently for my collection though.
Xenoburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:32 PM   #463
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Heads up to those interested...looks like a decent print to go with this piece. Available on Greymatterart.

Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:43 PM   #464
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
Heads up to those interested...looks like a decent print to go with this piece. Available on Greymatterart.

I actually have a Daredevil original by Mitch Breitweiser I still need to get framed to go with mine.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 03:15 PM   #465
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
I actually have a Daredevil original by Mitch Breitweiser I still need to get framed to go with mine.
Oh, nice...I'd say you're probably set then.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:44 PM   #466
pdenham
Teen Titans

Finally got around to building a proper riser for this.

Was originally using a storage crate I'd had for books, shored up in the middle with a 2"x4" and draped with some spare black velvet (sorry that I don't have a better camera than the phone)

Despite trying to keep the new one as simple as possible, I still had to half-azz it. I had the posts cut when I bought 'em, from one 4' piece of Red Oak, and each piece was off. I had to trim them again with a hand saw at home- and they still weren't perfect.
it seems sturdy and that's what's most important.

I was going to stain it, to match the cabinet, but there are two different types of wood, and pine is tough to stain well. I'm thinking now I'll primer and spray it black, with a poly satin sealer, instead.

Love this piece.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:35 PM   #467
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Finally got around to building a proper riser for this.

Was originally using a storage crate I'd had for books, shored up in the middle with a 2"x4" and draped with some spare black velvet (sorry that I don't have a better camera than the phone)

Despite trying to keep the new one as simple as possible, I still had to half-azz it. I had the posts cut when I bought 'em, from one 4' piece of Red Oak, and each piece was off. I had to trim them again with a hand saw at home- and they still weren't perfect.
it seems sturdy and that's what's most important.

I was going to stain it, to match the cabinet, but there are two different types of wood, and pine is tough to stain well. I'm thinking now I'll primer and spray it black, with a poly satin sealer, instead.

Love this piece.
I need Sideshow to do another DD Lifesize Bust to go with this now.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 07:39 AM   #468
pdenham
Teen Titans

With Thor here now, the time came to finally box this back up and put it in storage for a while.

My initial intention with this post was to gush about it again. In the six months I had it displayed, my appreciation of it only increased. I can now safely say this has become my favorite 1/4 (or smaller), and probably in the top two or three of every statute I've owned since I started collecting.

Instead of that though, as I was disassembling it and trying to pack it up, I was reminded of the fiasco that had been my experience with Hawkman.

I don't know what secret formula IS uses, but their statues- from 1/10 to that massive 1/3 Hawkman- have all been brittle AF.
No other statues chip as consistently as IS' do when I'm seating, or removing, their pegs.
Or even just looking at 'em the wrong way, it seems.

As gingerly as I took this apart and wrapped everything back up, there was still a tiny piece of broken angle wing sitting there when I was all done.
WTF?! How the hell did that get there? When did that happen?
Fortunately the piece it broke off of is sculpted to look distressed anyway, so I doubt I would have known If I hadn't already seen it. But it's distressing because it reinforces my perception that IS product is terrible if you rotate you collection like I do.
Every time I pull this out and then pack it back up, it's likely to degrade a little.

I've heard the "cold cast porcelain" that XM (and LBS) use is supposed to be considerably more brittle than the polystone mixture that companies like SSC use.
Is that what IS is using too? Or did they arrive at their own specialized formulation that sucks harder than anything else?
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:05 AM   #469
Mister H
Gen 13

I regret not buying this one. The definitive Daredevil IMO. I keep hoping they will do a 1/4 Moon Knight.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:53 AM   #470
Master Pizza
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
With Thor here now, the time came to finally box this back up and put it in storage for a while.

My initial intention with this post was to gush about it again. In the six months I had it displayed, my appreciation of it only increased. I can now safely say this has become my favorite 1/4 (or smaller), and probably in the top two or three of every statute I've owned since I started collecting.

Instead of that though, as I was disassembling it and trying to pack it up, I was reminded of the fiasco that had been my experience with Hawkman.

I don't know what secret formula IS uses, but their statues- from 1/10 to that massive 1/3 Hawkman- have all been brittle AF.
No other statues chip as consistently as IS' do when I'm seating, or removing, their pegs.
Or even just looking at 'em the wrong way, it seems.

As gingerly as I took this apart and wrapped everything back up, there was still a tiny piece of broken angle wing sitting there when I was all done.
WTF?! How the hell did that get there? When did that happen?
Fortunately the piece it broke off of is sculpted to look distressed anyway, so I doubt I would have known If I hadn't already seen it. But it's distressing because it reinforces my perception that IS product is terrible if you rotate you collection like I do.
Every time I pull this out and then pack it back up, it's likely to degrade a little.

I've heard the "cold cast porcelain" that XM (and LBS) use is supposed to be considerably more brittle than the polystone mixture that companies like SSC use.
Is that what IS is using too? Or did they arrive at their own specialized formulation that sucks harder than anything else?
Maybe it's just luck because I've moved my Daredevil several times(at least 5) and always removed the angels before putting him in a new spot. No chips or damage of any kind.

Also I believe I'm up to 18 Iron Studios statues now(only two 1/4) and only one arrived broken. Their packaging has come a long way since that broken piece. Meanwhile my XM are 2 for 2 arriving with broken parts but luckily they were just a piece of a base and a swap out arm.

And another piece broke off the same XM base a couple of months after owning it but I've chipped only two IS pieces in my collection. But I've also managed to break or damage Kotobukiya and Bowen, yet my 3 Sideshow pieces remain unharmed. I guess what I'm saying is there really is no rationale to how these statues will break, only that they can be broken.
Master Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote