Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 09-15-2020, 07:58 AM   #1
samhain81
The Masters of Evil

UK Collectors input please, on VAT & Delivery

Haven't ordered for a while from Sideshow, or anyone International, but did so recently for something from Sideshow, for a product which is 3rd in the line of 2 other products I already have.

Waitlist converted. Great. Checked the postage £150. Lol, what?

The previous items earlier last year cost me £60-70. What is with the rise of price? No explanation whatsoever, just a random estimation.

I thought to myself, okay well at least it's being shipped by DHL who I have been fortunate with with £50-60 vat bills.

Custom & VAT Bill for this came to £160?

What in the Christ Almighty of ****, £300+ for shipping and vat, when last year It was less than £150 for both.

I did the calculations, and including shipping the item came to about $700, so 20% of that is 108 approx, plus handling fee maybe.

Have I missed something? I need to know where these figures are being pulled from because if this is the new future, then stick a fork in me.

Any input would be appreciated, as I can't get hold of DHL, and they probably wouldn't give two squirts anyway If I did get through.
samhain81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:22 AM   #2
kpz
Frackin!

Feel your pain mate, most of my recent purchases have all been from Europe so thankfully none of that nonsense. I do however have one big statue sitting in the US that I may have to arrange my own delivery due to shipping+customs. Its becoming a bit of a joke. My missus bought me the SS Galactus from a buyer in the states last year and didn't clock onto custom charges, cost me 400+ just to release it.

As for Sideshow I think they changed the custom codes. I have 4 preorders with them and the shipping/customs is only dawning on me now... fook.
kpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:47 AM   #3
stevo84
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I am in the UK and I only order from UK distributor because Vat is included and the site I use is free delivery I have to wait a little longer but its worth it. When I do the math on it I save money due to free delivery. I bought a superman premium format and it cost me about 700 quid direct from sideshow it was on the site I use now for 465 pound.
stevo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:48 AM   #4
Squirtle
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

The customs code changed so now VAT is closer to 20% which is actually correct. We were lucky in the past couple of years that it was wrong.

The increased shipping cost I am not sure of the exact reason but from reading these forums even domestic shipping has gone up quite a bit.
Squirtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:50 AM   #5
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

Yep I've been saying it for months now, not really worth ordering direct anymore.

The £ is rubbish right now, shipping prices are just going up and up and theres not even the relief of 5% import fee's anymore.

Also as prices creep up they get to that magic $1000 price point where you also have DUTY added not just the 20% customs...

Also the 20% customs is on shipping aswell as the item price...

After i paid £650 in shipping and taxes on my Prime 1 Gurren Lagann from SS...i figured yeah i'm done with importing stuff.

And the 2nd hand market is so amazing atm, people can't wait to sell stuff cheap so they can fund the next thing...
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:52 AM   #6
stevo84
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

In short don't import use UK or EU distributors.
stevo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:54 AM   #7
SkilledButton
Nightwing

I am not in Europe but I know sideshow uses harmonized code 3929.40 (Statuettes & Other Ornamental Articles of Plastic) for customs. I would call DHL and ask what code they are using to compare but unfortunately it is about 20% of the purchase price + shipping, which is insane to anyone who doesn't live in the states.

I have to be extremely picky with what pieces I collect because the taxes entering the country are brutal. Have to factor that into the cost of doing business and prevents me from POing too many before they land.
SkilledButton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:06 AM   #8
Lonewolf65
Luke Cage

Samhain, just out of curiosity what was it you had ordered?
Lonewolf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:53 AM   #9
Cinzano Bianco
Doh!

Using my reward points and gift card balance from all my PCS cancellations then i'm done. Brought a tear to my eye every time I use to open a fedex letter or DHL mail
Cinzano Bianco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:52 AM   #10
Foreverdusting
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo84 View Post
I am in the UK and I only order from UK distributor because Vat is included and the site I use is free delivery I have to wait a little longer but its worth it. When I do the math on it I save money due to free delivery. I bought a superman premium format and it cost me about 700 quid direct from sideshow it was on the site I use now for 465 pound.
Which site has it for £465?
Foreverdusting is offline   Reply With Quote