Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 06-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #11
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_division View Post
what happened?
It had to do with an artist making a sculpt of one of Hughes' sketches and Allison came on the forum and stirred up a hornet's nest about artist rights and everything. I came in at the tail end and wasn't involved but it was a fun read before it was deleted.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #12
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
And for Allison to actually feel the need to refute the rumor is moronic at best. The fact that she thinks anyone might BELIEVE something so stupid is a sure sign of her conceit.
That is a bit harsh isn't it Drew?? From your post I will gather you aren't a fan of Hughes, I am not, but I wouldn't have made that crass of a comment. JMO. :tounge:
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #13
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
It had to do with an artist making a sculpt of one of Hughes' sketches and Allison came on the forum and stirred up a hornet's nest about artist rights and everything. I came in at the tail end and wasn't involved but it was a fun read before it was deleted.
Hmm, interesting. I don't see how her argument would hold water. How many times have we seen a specific artist's work translated into a sculptur? I would think the company that actually owns the rights to the characters would care more than the person that drew it. That opens up to another question I have had over the years. Why do the comic companys not care when an artist such as Hughes, Byrne, etc charge VERY significant fees for commissions when the company that owns the rights to those characters do not receive their "cut." I am sure this has been brought up in the past, but have always wondered.
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #14
Royd
Producer
Producer

All she was trying to do was to negate a rumour. She posted once thinking that would be the end of it but the rumour persisted when people again mentioned it to her at Heroes Con as she said here in a subsequent post to the group:

"Hey all;

this rumor is STILL persisting. We were just told that people were talking about Adam's $10,000 San Diego Con sketches at Heroes Con this past weekend. What worse, is that they were speculating about us walking through the airport with a "back pack full of cash" that would result from it. Again, FOR THE RECORD, sketches are not $10,000 at San Diego and never have been. Please read the post below for how sketches will be handled this year. Additionally, if anyone tries to mug me or Adam at the airport, you will be sorely disappointed to find bags of dirty laundry. We do have bank accounts, and we use them. Airport security doesn't like larger amounts of cash coming through; especially in Southern California where there is question as to how people that close to the Mexican border make that much in cash transactions. So rather than upset the nice folks in the airport, we do daily bank deposits for the days of Comic Con that the banks are open.

That I even have to EXPLAIN my business banking online is ridiculous, but there you have it. Please don't mug us. The year we are made to regret going to San Diego for whatever reason will be the last year we go.

~Allison"

If someone said something inaccurate or scurrilous about me, I know that I would want to correct it! However, feel free to believe what you will Best,

Royd

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
And for Allison to actually feel the need to refute the rumor is moronic at best. The fact that she thinks anyone might BELIEVE something so stupid is a sure sign of her conceit.
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:10 PM   #15
patman
What is a free gift? Aren't all gifts free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
She later added that:

"The auction will state that people must be present at the convention to participate in the auction. They will have to show a photo ID to be able to get the drawing, to prevent someone else from collecting it."
and here i thought i finally had a chance of getting a AH sketch without the need to fly over to a con. good luck to those bidding for a sketch
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #16
goingbroke223
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_division View Post
I think it's cheap(no pun intended) for them to put the sketch up on ebay. Why not set a price and just do a lottery instead?
because now the people who have money to throw around can bid as much as they want
no chance for some one on a art budget to save the 400.00 or whatever, go to a con, get to them and hope he gets on the list. now money talks. dont want one from him, never will kill myself to get one. this is the perfect examnple of the fans being ruled by the artist.
goingbroke223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #17
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingbroke223 View Post
because now the people who have money to throw around can bid as much as they want
no chance for some one on a art budget to save the 400.00 or whatever, go to a con, get to them and hope he gets on the list. now money talks. dont want one from him, never will kill myself to get one. this is the perfect examnple of the fans being ruled by the artist.
yeah, I know that's what they are gonna do. I think it sucks though
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #18
Royd
Producer
Producer

So why do they continue to charge only $200.00 for sketches at all other cons and they attend a lot of cons. If he really wanted to gouge the fans, he'd be using the ebay method at every con he attends but that's not the case!

SDCC is the only exception. Many artists charge a higher price point at San Diego - but believe what you will *shrug*

Royd

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingbroke223 View Post
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #19
Closetnerd
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Closetnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:55 PM   #20
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
So why do they continue to charge only $200.00 for sketches at all other cons and they attend a lot of cons. If he really wanted to gouge the fans, he'd be using the ebay method at every con he attends but that's not the case!

SDCC is the only exception. Many artists charge a higher price point at San Diego - but believe what you will *shrug*

Royd
No matter what Adam and Allison do they will not be able to make everyone happy. I think selling a few commissions through ebay is a good idea. It sets a fair market value for the commission.

I personally like the raffle system and will keep signing up until I get my Hulk commission from Adam. Its going to happen....someday.