Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC

Old 07-21-2005, 02:52 PM   #1
ashley76
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Winners of the DC Direct contest part II

DC DIRECT FINDS TWO SCULPTORS @ SDCC

Unlike other talent hunts and searches held at this past weekend’s San Diego Comic-Con, DC Direct’s A Cut Above Sculptor Search held on Thursday had a real reward at the end: a job.

The panel, which included DC Direct Creative director Georg Brewer, Shawn Knapp (Associate art director), Jim Fletcher (Senior art director), and sculptors Tim Bruckner and Barsom was a chance for up and coming scultpros to show their wares for a very real goal – a commission by DC Direct.

“We spent about a half an hour just talking about how to get started in the business, materials, thing to look out for, and some of the unique challenges of sculpting DC characters – what makes them unique and different from a sculpting point of view,” Brewer told Newsarama. “It was a general Q&A, and then we opened up to portfolio review. We had about 14 to 16 portfolios come through, so we broke up into teams to meet with each sculptor and look at their work. We pulled everything back together, and ended up selecting two, who were awarded an assignment on the spot: Byron Jungjareon and Paul Harding.

“This was a true search, rather than a contest,” Brewer continued. “But unlike other searches which would end with something like, ‘Oh, we like your stuff, and we’ll take it back and call you,’ we decided to step it up a little bit and make the offices. We’re going to get both of them rolling on new projects very quickly

“One of the guys will be doing an action figure for us in an ongoing line, and if that goes well, obviously, he’ll continue to get more work. He has really, really good technical proficiency. And the other, his work was a little more raw, it has a nice, emotional quality to it. We’re going to work with him a little more, and then figure out where we’re going to start him out – maybe a busy, maybe an accessory – something to help him through his process to get him to the level that he needs to be.

“So, we’re going to be talking to them about their upcoming work for us, and overall, we’re thrilled with the prospects of Byron and Paul working for DC Direct.”
ashley76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 02:53 PM   #2
ashley76
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

So which one did you get Byron or can you tell us?
ashley76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 02:58 PM   #3
TheMadTitan
Kindly Asked To Leave

Hope they will be sculpting a Darkseid statue/bust in the future.
TheMadTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 03:04 PM   #4
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadTitan
Hope they will be sculpting a Darkseid statue/bust in the future.
DC already has a great Darkseid.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:08 PM   #5
popeye

Old 07-21-2005, 05:32 PM   #6
jareonstudio
Sculptor
Sculptor

Hey thanks for posting that. Paul seems to know his stuff when it come to sculpting with the big boys and since I've never sculpted for DC or any other big companies I think they will try to help me go to the next step in this great career. To me this is the most generous thing a toy company like DC could do to help out a new guy with his sculpting career.
Tony, am very excited to have my foot in the door with DC and will give it my 120% in any project they throw my way. So far everyone I have spoken to at the SDCC seem like a bunch of great, down to earth type of people. Thanks for the encouragement.

Byron J.

Last edited by jareonstudio; 07-21-2005 at 05:34 PM.
jareonstudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 05:35 PM   #7
JohnCleary
Sculptor
Sculptor

Man,

Thats incredible. You even got mentioned in a press release. I'm kicking myself for not going to the con. If I knew about this DC sculptor search I wouldve definatly flew out there and entered the talent search.

Good luck again Byron and I look forward to seeing what you do for DC.

Take it easy,

John
JohnCleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 05:42 PM   #8
jareonstudio
Sculptor
Sculptor

Thanks John, its funny they were suppose to give work to just one dude and Paul definitely have the skills to take the gig but for some great reason they give out two assignment and choose me. It must have been my good looks or something.
I think they might do this again next year but with your skill John you'll get a gig from DC or other big name companies in no time. Don't you already sculpt some stuff for Bowen, Spidey?

Byron J.
jareonstudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 06:00 PM   #9
JohnCleary
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jareonstudio
Thanks John, its funny they were suppose to give work to just one dude and Paul definitely have the skills to take the gig but for some great reason they give out two assignment and choose me. It must have been my good looks or something.
I think they might do this again next year but with your skill John you'll get a gig from DC or other big name companies in no time. Don't you already sculpt some stuff for Bowen, Spidey?

Byron J.
Thanks Byron. Your work rocks and its clear DC recognized your talent and couldnt pass up on hiring you Yes I did Spidey for Bowen and I'm doing a few other projects as well.

I did contact Jim at DC and send pics of my Iron Sculptor bust. I just wanted to introduce myself. I havent heard back from him yet. I know hes very busy though so I dont expect to hear back right away. Hopefully I will though. Working for DC has been one of my goals since I started sculpting.

Anyway I know your going to have so much fun! Are you going to make an action figure? That is sweet! This will be a great start to your career. Again good luck with it and have fun!

John
JohnCleary is offline   Reply With Quote