Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-17-2021, 09:14 PM   #501
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I just don’t get why new collectors think it’s a cool concept to make more of an old statue. Ummmm....no. That’s not how collectibles are supposed to work. I sympathize, I do. There are plenty of statues I missed out on (Psylocke variant, various Bowen pieces) - but I would pay after market if I wanted it bad enough. That’s how this game works. Get lucky to be collecting at the time or decide if the after market is worth it to ya. Meanwhile, jusy cross fingers and toes another version gets made. Lord knows with both companies it has taken forever for Storm to get love.
The poll you're referring to said nothing about re-issuing the old Storm piece. It specifically stated a new Storm. At some point collectors should learn to read before going on the defensive.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:14 PM   #502
SDguy

Quote:
I just don’t get why new collectors think it’s a cool concept to make more of an old statue. Ummmm....no. That’s not how collectibles are supposed to work. I sympathize, I do. There are plenty of statues I missed out on (Psylocke variant, various Bowen pieces) - but I would pay after market if I wanted it bad enough. That’s how this game works. Get lucky to be collecting at the time or decide if the after market is worth it to ya. Meanwhile, jusy cross fingers and toes another version gets made. Lord knows with both companies it has taken forever for Storm to get love.
I think the problem, especially in the FB posts about that poll, is that a wide range of collectors are all being lumped together and posting there. Everything from those that flat out DO want a reissue of the XM Storm, to people simply wanting to get a new Storm, different pose, design, outfit, everything. The most confusing are the collectors that are somehow thinking a new different Storm will without question turn out as good, as well received, and increase in value as much as the first one. On one hand they keep saying, fine, fine, a new different one, but then are constantly referencing the original with price, pictures, etc.
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:28 PM   #503
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
The poll you're referring to said nothing about re-issuing the old Storm piece. It specifically stated a new Storm. At some point collectors should learn to read before going on the defensive.
Yes, that poll doesn’t say it, but there have been numerous posts from people saying they want them to just make more of that exact statue. That’s to what I was referring. Just lumped two things in one
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:49 PM   #504
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Yes, that poll doesn’t say it, but there have been numerous posts from people saying they want them to just make more of that exact statue. That’s to what I was referring. Just lumped two things in one
Yeah, it wasn't super apparent, but when you actually click into the description he says he wants a new one made and only XM could make one as lovely (or something like that) as the original. Yet people were angry and biting the guy's head off for simply wanting a second Storm piece because they didn't read and automatically assumed he meant the OG re-issued.

I have the OG and I bought her for $879. I still want them to do a new one because I want one that is in a different costume.
Old 02-17-2021, 10:17 PM   #505
FJC
Midnighter

I'm definitely down for a classic Storm if XM makes one. Especially if she turns out as good as the Lee Storm did.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:11 AM   #506
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Yep, she went up for made to order in April 2018. If I remember right her PO period was two weeks and then they cut it off. I received mine in December 2018.

What's hilarious is the people who claim "you had plenty of time to order, so suck it up and spend $3,700 on an aftermarket piece."

EDIT: Just checked. The PO period was 4/4/18-4/18/18. ES was set in July 2018.
Yup, I reposted some old posts a few weeks ago in the XM Storm thread that we had just TWO WEEKS to order her. Many people can’t decide or have budgeted if they they can get a cheaper costing SS statue well after shipping.

Also, when you look at the ES of Marvel statues released around Storm and even since then, most of them are in the ES 300-500 range. Thanos has more. Most of them don’t. When you look at Storm’s 420 in 2 weeks compared to other statues available for longer, Storm was relatively successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBear View Post
[center]XM Studios News

"The Goddess of weather, Ororo aka Storm from the X-Men will be up for PO tonight on our website!”

"Retailing at SGD990, the XM Storm statue features 2 display options; 1 attacking with her powers and 1 completely different mood
where Storm is relishing and enjoying her powers. This project was delayed as we wanted to find a way to create the cape to link to
the hands for closer accuracy to the comics and we are happy to say, mission accomplished! We've also taken many feedback on paint
scheme (Thank you to all who provided valuable feedback) and ultimately decided on this striking combination of white and light accents
of silver/grey.

As with our new PO system, Storm will be open for 2 weeks for online orders and final ES determined after we consolidate orders from
distributors, keeping this piece made-to-order, based on demand so don't miss out on this beautiful piece! Enjoy the photos and stand
a chance to win a special Art Print signed by the XM core art team simply by making 1 comment, tagging a friend and sharing this post!
1 lucky winner will be chosen from the comments list!"
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 09:50 AM   #507
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
Yup, I reposted some old posts a few weeks ago in the XM Storm thread that we had just TWO WEEKS to order her. Many people can’t decide or have budgeted if they they can get a cheaper costing SS statue well after shipping.

Also, when you look at the ES of Marvel statues released around Storm and even since then, most of them are in the ES 300-500 range. Thanos has more. Most of them don’t. When you look at Storm’s 420 in 2 weeks compared to other statues available for longer, Storm was relatively successful.
Exactly. And then I've seen the argument about "oh if they make another one the ES will be higher and so then people won't value it as much because they only value the rarity, blah blah blah."

Magik (the only 1/4 licensed Magik ever made) and Scarlet Witch both had a normal (longer than 2-week) order period and both of these pieces have a smaller ES than Storm's 420. Theirs are in the 300s.
Old 02-18-2021, 02:56 PM   #508
Demona
Martian Manhunter

If/when companies make another 1/4 Storm - I just hope they look beyond the Lee and Byrne looks. I know people love them, but there are plenty of statues to be had with those looks. And great statues too!

We need some modern love. That goes for characters like Cyclops too. With Sideshow hopefully giving a modern day looking Scarlet Witch, perhaps the art direction is getting more modern moving forward??!!
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:36 PM   #509
COI

Has there even been a decent Byrne version made (licensed)?
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:45 PM   #510
COI

I tend to think it's better for the hobby overall not to reissue pieces and not to go back to the well too many times on one character that isn't Batman, Spider-Man or Iron Man. With those characters, demand is so high that the pieces will get gobbled up, regardless.

It does suck for people who missed out, but we all miss out on stuff. No one wants to see a statue they already have get reissued, or a better version of a character getting released too soon. There's a balance to be struck. And unless you only collect a single character, there's always other stuff to buy if you miss out on something you want.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote