Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 09-15-2022, 05:06 AM   #1
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

The New Frontier

The Masterpiece of The Legendry Darwyn Cooke. A love latter to The Silver Age of DC Comics. Even if i haven't read many Silver Age of DC, i felt how The DC characters and that era was near and dear to The Heart of Darwyn Cooke. You just feel from The Begining of The Comics that you have something special in your hands, only someone who really loves these characters can create. I have to admit with great shame that when i was reading The New Frontier, i was kind of tipsy. I didn't know, i was about to start to read something so special. I need to reread it as sober for sure. I even got the Deluxe with extra pages for that. I still remember how good it was though, may be the sudden struck of greatness as i started to read cleared my senses.

The big bad of The New Frontier, The Living Mutant Island with its everything from evolution edge to monstrosty as it saw itself as a superior being to all other living creatures on earth and found in itself the right to destory them as lesser beings than itself was an alegori for racism, The Monster Island was the epitome of racism. The racism was an alot bigger issue at 60s and 70s which was the Silver Age of DC Comics and American Comics in general. As Hal Jordan The Green Lantern who was the most near and dear character to Darwyn Cooke's heart among all of DC characters got into The Monster Island, The Island Tried to reshape him and consume him, but Hal resisted with his famous Green Lantern Will and came out of the Island victorious and unchanged which also spoke levels to the reader.

I really liked how Batman was this dark, grim and gritty, cold, scary, resourceful vigilante. He was so cool when he was treatining Martian Manhunter with the words of ''i only need a match to take care of you'' or some words similar in meaning. Later on when he saved a kid from a cult, the kid really got scared of him as well... And Batman changed his ways with words of '' I don't want to scare children'' and became this light hearted Silver Age version of himself adopted Dick Grayson, The side kick Robin and turned into the Dynamic Duo with Robin. I am personaly not a fan of this change though lol Believe me, if this was the Batman when i was a child, i wouldn't be a Batman fan. lol

Martian Manhunter coming to earth and learning earth culture from TV was another part i really enjoyed to read. later on he blended into the American society, he don the role of a police detective and he was acting like the police detectives on tv, everyone was like what is the deal with this guy. It was hilarious.

I really need to reread The New Frontier. It was so good and a masterpiece which deserves all of my clear attantion. RIP Darwyn Cooke, you left us too soon.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 03:38 PM   #2
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

It is one of the greatest masterpieces in all of comics, no question.

Great post!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 04:44 PM   #3
protector2814
Phoenix

An absolute modern masterpiece! I reread my deluxe copy almost once a year. Cooke tied so much of the DCU together in this one. Mr. Cooke is greatly missed. When he drew practically all the DC covers for one month, I made certain that I bought every one. Loved his writing & his art.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 03:07 PM   #4
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
An absolute modern masterpiece! I reread my deluxe copy almost once a year. Cooke tied so much of the DCU together in this one. Mr. Cooke is greatly missed. When he drew practically all the DC covers for one month, I made certain that I bought every one. Loved his writing & his art.

I remember the posters in my lcs promoting this series and greedily gobbling up each issue when it came out. So great having been an adult but being as excited as a kid in anticipation of the next issue. Jerry, I have this Absolute Edition and it’s a thing of beauty and glory! ❤️
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote