Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-07-2020, 10:39 AM   #26631
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
All I had to read to know there is no way in hell I can watch Jacob’s Ladder is that the film influenced the video game “Silent Hill”. Nope nope. I had to play that game with the lights on and watch cartoons to clear my brain.
yes the influence is very apparent in some scenes lol

I really hope im not dissuading too many people from seeing this movie...sure there are disturbing parts but the movie is so much more than that and is worth seeing!!
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:44 AM   #26632
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Jacob's Ladder has grown on me over the years. I thought it was just stupid the first time I saw it, but now after several viewings over time I have come to like it a lot more. Still not as much as most people though. I didn't find it particularly disturbing. It reminded me of the short story I had to read in college called "Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" but of course it isn't exactly like that, just had a similar vibe to me.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:45 AM   #26633
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Haven't seen The Whip and the Body yet either but ironically I’ve had the Kino Lorber Blu-ray in my Amazon cart for some time, just haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Looks very Hammer-esque mixed with the trademark dreamy visual sensibilities of Bava/Argento that I absolutely love. Black Sunday and Black Sabbath on the other hand I have seen and are probably my 2 favorites from Bava so far.

Oh and on a side note Jacob’s Ladder is indeed a brilliant film. And Demona mentioned the Silent Hill video game so I figured I’d throw a shout out to the Silent Hill film. An underrated gem and by far my favorite film based off a video game.
the Kino version of Whip is the one I have, it is currently the best version of the movie with the most accurate colors from the original release. You're absolutley right and thats a great description, it is like a Hammer movie with all the visual flair from Bava, I think that is what he intended with this movie, especially since he wanted Christopher Lee in the movie which was an odd choice for him. I'd say Whip is definitely Bava's most dreamlike and surreal movie, I was so engrossed in the atmosphere and the visuals, I couldn't look away, I think you'd really enjoy it!

If youre going to pickup blood and black lace one day, id recommend the arrow release instead of the VCI release, the colors are much more accurate and vivid

Agreed on Silent Hill, underrated gems, especially the first one but I enjoyed both
Old 05-07-2020, 11:10 AM   #26634
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
Jacob's Ladder has grown on me over the years. I thought it was just stupid the first time I saw it, but now after several viewings over time I have come to like it a lot more. Still not as much as most people though. I didn't find it particularly disturbing. It reminded me of the short story I had to read in college called "Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" but of course it isn't exactly like that, just had a similar vibe to me.
definitely inspired by 'an occurence at owl creek bridge' like many other films of this nature. Funny you mention this, I just watched the twilight zone original series episode 'an occurrence at owl creek bridge' a couple of weeks ago

im glad to hear you didnt find jacobs ladder disturbing, i guess this sorta stuff affects people differently, but for me personally it really hit a nerve at a couple parts
Old 05-07-2020, 11:20 AM   #26635
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

apologies for triple post...

I decided to lighten the tone from my recent movies and watch an animated movie and one of my all time favorite comedies last night

Mortal Kombat: Scorpion's Revenge I've been a lifelong fan of Mortal Kombat since it first came out in 92, played every game, seen all the media. This movie was pretty much a retelling of the events of the first tournament from Mortal Kombat 1, but told through the eyes of Scorpion. It also included some elements that were not originally in MK1 but later revealed to be a part of that story (like Quan Chi being the catalyst for the creation of Scorpion, etc) Im really surprised with the amount of violence and gore in the movie, they really went to town, its is MK afterall but usually the movies and such are watered down but not here, they even included 'x-ray' bone crushing effects like in the more recent video games - 8.5/10

The Great Outdoors classic comedy with John Candy and Dan Akroyd. I dont think this is regarded as one of John Candy's best movies, but its one of my favorites of his work, im probably biased as I grew up with this movie and have a lot of nostalgia for it, but even now it still cracks me up. They did a great restoration on the blu-ray, the image quality is the best I've seen for this movie. Dan and John made a great team and really played off eachother well in this movie I thought - 8.5/10
Old 05-07-2020, 11:30 AM   #26636
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
definitely inspired by 'an occurence at owl creek bridge' like many other films of this nature. Funny you mention this, I just watched the twilight zone original series episode 'an occurrence at owl creek bridge' a couple of weeks ago

im glad to hear you didnt find jacobs ladder disturbing, i guess this sorta stuff affects people differently, but for me personally it really hit a nerve at a couple parts
If someone asked me to describe "Jacob's Ladder" without ANY spoilers I would say it is as if "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" and "Event Horizon" had a torrid love affair that resulted in a bastard child that was bitter and angry about it......
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:42 AM   #26637
ukshaun
Hercules

Guardians of the Galaxy

..and

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

I liked both movies more than I thought I would.
Compared to each other, I wouldn’t like to say which one was better.
Vol. 2 felt somewhat less focused that the first movie. Vol. 2 felt more entertaining.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:44 AM   #26638
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
If someone asked me to describe "Jacob's Ladder" without ANY spoilers I would say it is as if "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" and "Event Horizon" had a torrid love affair that resulted in a bastard child that was bitter and angry about it......
that is so accurate!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2020, 04:44 PM   #26639
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post

If youre going to pickup blood and black lace one day, id recommend the arrow release instead of the VCI release, the colors are much more accurate and vivid
Thanks for sharing your opinion on it. The Arrow version does seem to be the more popular of the two. Heard the aspect ratio was a tad off but overall it was still a better presentation than the VCI. Arrow usually does a nice job.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:19 PM   #26640
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Thanks for sharing your opinion on it. The Arrow version does seem to be the more popular of the two. Heard the aspect ratio was a tad off but overall it was still a better presentation than the VCI. Arrow usually does a nice job.
Yes I love Arrow, sometimes they miss the mark but the majority of the time they put the most work into their releases by far (sometimes it seems like they care more about some of those rare old movies than their original directors did!) When it comes to Bava and Argento though, I'll always pick the release that emphasizes the colors best

The toughest decision for me was which version of Suspiria to get, as the colors on that movie vary drastically between releases over the years. I ultimately settled (happily) on the 2018 Synapse release, which was approved by the films director of photography (I originally had Suspiria only on DVD and wow what a difference!) normally im not this picky, but with these directors the use of color is paramount