Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 10-04-2015, 06:13 PM   #11
gomur
The Tick

Both really good players but let's keep things in perspective.

Magic > Lebron

MJ > Kobe

Between the two of them, I have to go with Kobe historically. As Vecchio1 said the ring count is very important to legacy. If he doesn't add more jewelry, then Lebron would still be considered one of the greatest of all time who put up gaudy fantasy numbers.

I won't lie, there's a lot about Bron that turns me off. Since Day 1 he's been showered with hype and accolades. His conference is weak- it's like rolling out a red carpet to the finals most seasons. And in the finals, he's had a less than stellar record. He could easily have one ring if San Antonio didn't fall asleep on one play. Then again, he was short-handed against GSW last season. The bottom line is I see so many minuses to him being the GOAT, but the media love drinking his Kool-Aid without a critical eye.

Not all his fault the attention he receives, but it's just embarrassing to read some of these "journalists'" articles.

Lebron is ridiculously talented though. No question about it. So much of his game is based on him being a physical freak so he needs to make hay while the sun is shining.

Prime Kobe against Prime Lebron would be incredible.

But I'd love even more to see Prime Kobe and Prime Michael go at it.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:14 PM   #12
d rod
Xtreme Sports Master
Administrator

2 different styles of play. Kobe is like MJ or D Wade in his prime (yes, he's no Kobe). They are finesse players while Lebron is just a freak of nature. If you turned back the clock with the fouls that were given, one has to question if Lebron would have had the mental capacity to take it to the hole after a few hard fouls.
d rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #13
monomaster1
Sinister Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio1 View Post
Team player?? Are you kidding? He has given up on teams of the past and does not make the players around him better. He takes teammates out of their groove with his 1 man show. Rings are very important, players like Malone, Wilkins, Barkley, Stockton, Nash will be forgotten by most as time goes on. Lebron GOAT...ha.
You've got to be kidding! He defers to his teammates too much it's been argued!! Get off the anti-lebron kool-aid!
monomaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:20 PM   #14
monomaster1
Sinister Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post
Both really good players but let's keep things in perspective.

Magic > Lebron

MJ > Kobe

Between the two of them, I have to go with Kobe historically. As Vecchio1 said the ring count is very important to legacy. If he doesn't add more jewelry, then Lebron would still be considered one of the greatest of all time who put up gaudy fantasy numbers.

I won't lie, there's a lot about Bron that turns me off. Since Day 1 he's been showered with hype and accolades. His conference is weak- it's like rolling out a red carpet to the finals most seasons. And in the finals, he's had a less than stellar record. He could easily have one ring if San Antonio didn't fall asleep on one play. Then again, he was short-handed against GSW last season. The bottom line is I see so many minuses to him being the GOAT, but the media love drinking his Kool-Aid without a critical eye.

Not all his fault the attention he receives, but it's just embarrassing to read some of these "journalists'" articles.

Lebron is ridiculously talented though. No question about it. So much of his game is based on him being a physical freak so he needs to make hay while the sun is shining.

Prime Kobe against Prime Lebron would be incredible.

But I'd love even more to see Prime Kobe and Prime Michael go at it.
Rings and teammates and the weaker conference he plays in are out of his control. You have to have quality teammates to win rings. You have to have good management to put together quality teammates. You also can't predict injuries. All of these things are out of a single players control. I would say in Miami that Bosh and Wade were the one's that didn't perform for the titles the Heat lost, not Lebron. Last year, Irving and Love prevented the Cavs from a chance at winning. Like I said in the previous post, Lebron can play all positions effectively. No other player in history can do that.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:44 PM   #15
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomaster1 View Post
Rings and teammates and the weaker conference he plays in are out of his control. You have to have quality teammates to win rings. You have to have good management to put together quality teammates. You also can't predict injuries. All of these things are out of a single players control. I would say in Miami that Bosh and Wade were the one's that didn't perform for the titles the Heat lost, not Lebron. Last year, Irving and Love prevented the Cavs from a chance at winning. Like I said in the previous post, Lebron can play all positions effectively. No other player in history can do that.
Except Magic did do that.... and he did it in the Finals playing center for an injured Kareem. Against a tough Philadelphia 76ers team. In his rookie season. And the Lakers won. Even I forget how gifted he was.

And not to keep zinging Lebron, but when it comes to teammates being out of your control... not true in his case. He got to pick his team(mates) twice; leaving for Miami and returning to Cleveland. Because as much as "coming home" made a great story, he wasn't going back to CLE if they didn't have a solid core for him.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:09 PM   #16
monomaster1
Sinister Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post
Except Magic did do that.... and he did it in the Finals playing center for an injured Kareem. Against a tough Philadelphia 76ers team. In his rookie season. And the Lakers won. Even I forget how gifted he was.

And not to keep zinging Lebron, but when it comes to teammates being out of your control... not true in his case. He got to pick his team(mates) twice; leaving for Miami and returning to Cleveland. Because as much as "coming home" made a great story, he wasn't going back to CLE if they didn't have a solid core for him.
I also said you can't control injuries or other players letting down like 'Bosh & Wade' and 'Irving & Love' did.

I agree that you can directly compare Magic & Lebron, but heads up, Lebron is a far greater athlete. At the same height, 230 lbs vs. 260 lbs, Lebron is directly better. You can only compare the teammates Magic had that are better, than the teammates Lebron has had.

I'm a Rocket fan. I don't care too much about the Cavs or the Heat. But, I know basketball and the intangibles that Lebron brings can't be ignored because he doesn't have the rings other players have. Hell, if you go by that then Bill Russell is the GOAT. He won a 11 championships, one of them as a player coach!!
Old 10-06-2015, 06:10 AM   #17
TheLastMan
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Lebron is an athletic freak with insane court vision but his personality and on-court antics (flopper supreme) are hard to ignore. He didn't have the teammates of Magic or heck even MJ but he's played in a watered down conference. And the Warriors team that beat him isn't the toughest to win a title. Sorry small ball fans. So many historical teams would've beaten GS with ease.

I agree with D Rod that Bron back in the day might not have been as insane. WITNESS him flop... without a whistle! It would be interesting to see him and Kobe transported back to the 80s. Ultimately they both would've done well I think.
TheLastMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:18 AM   #18
Gianco
X-Force

Gianco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:28 AM   #19
wuliwawa
Doh!

Kobe! Kobe is more sexy and handsome!
wuliwawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #20
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I missed this thread the first time around. It’s a great conversation starter. Both are all time greats with storied NBA careers (James not done of course). I don’t think you can go wrong by stating your personal preference and the question of who is/was better can’t really be answered yet as LeBron has some good years left. I put my money on LeBron. He is more versatile and a much better team player. The comments about him not being a team player makes me wonder if you follow the NBA at all. He has been criticized in the past for being TOO MUCH of a team player – often deferring when he should take the shot, etc. What he did in the Finals this year puts him on a new level IMO - It was awe inspiring to watch. His performance in the finals was the best I have seen in my years watching the NBA (and I was watching MJ in college and Magic at Mich State). 2016 was HUGE for his legacy.

Let's not bring MJ into this conversation. Give it 5 years and then .... maybe

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote