Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
lol
Black Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 02:12 PM   #103
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarko View Post
I think you misunderstand. The point made is that it is not a matter of suspending ones disbelief. It is just a hyper-realistic rendition of the world. Either one accepts that the world is not reality (which one would think is hopefully the case), or one will always struggle with the world that is shown. The fact that you find Huntress costume or maybe some others as problematic in terms of being grounded is then rather arbitrary. The DC universe was never meant to be grounded in reality anyway.

Now in regard to the examples, the point was not whether you reject or have a problem with them. Rather, the examples are to illustrate that even well accepted character designs were not grounded in reality to begin with. They are just designs that attempt to make the character attractive, stand-out etc.

From that perspective, it would be perfectly fine to say that this Huntress design doesn’t appeal to you. But, to insist that it doesn’t appeal because it is unrealistic is to miss the basis of the source content. The basis is not realism.
You're right to call me out with respect to the comparison of Gotham city and the "real world". I think I would have been better served by saying that the character designs ruin my immersion into the world setting for the Batman fantasy.

For example, Knight Rider appearing on the road to Mordor. Or Cersi Lanister going i-phone shopping in down town Kings Landing. All of these things are possible within the context of Fantasy, but they disturb the fundamental immersion into the setting which is created.

Gotham City is predominately portrayed as dark, oppressive, cold and dangerous. From this perspective alone, the choice of costume seems counterintuitive. Imagine if Leia decided to wear her Jabba costume while on Hoth....

But in the end, maybe it's just better to, as you say, suggest the costume isn't for me, and to let those who do enjoy it continue to do so without my negative opinions
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 02:20 PM   #104
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
She's looking good in the stream, thicc too!

...she is.
AC_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:51 PM   #105
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iko Iko View Post
What base? It is basically a fake piece of wood. LOL
Frankly, I love the base on this.

I'm getting kind of tired of bases needlessly eating up real estate. It constricts display options and necessitates larger boxes that eat up even more space.
And I'm really tired AF of seeing gothic architecture.
Something simple like this is totally fine with me.

The paint apps on it are quite inspired, too.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:00 PM   #106
saberhagen
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post

I'm getting kind of tired of bases needlessly eating up real estate. It constricts display options and necessitates larger boxes that eat up even more space.

I like it too, looks like she just beat the crap out of some goons in a warehouse. No rooftop or gargoyle necessary. Goes well with Batgirl and Robin too. I'm digging the reflected neon look they've been painting.
saberhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:03 PM   #107
bdlovelace
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberhagen View Post
I like it too, looks like she just beat the crap out of some goons in a warehouse. No rooftop or gargoyle necessary. Goes well with Batgirl and Robin too. I'm digging the reflected neon look they've been painting.
bdlovelace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:05 PM   #108
gra007
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:

I agree. I am buying statues for characters, not environments. This base tells enough of a story to put her in a location without it being ridiculous.
gra007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:27 PM   #109
Iko Iko
The InJustice League

Quote:

Actually, I don't disagree. BUT with that being said, one would hope the relatively simple base here would result in a cut in the price (which doesn't always seem to happen). Personally, I don't think this should be no more than $550.
Iko Iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:57 PM   #110
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iko Iko View Post
Actually, I don't disagree. BUT with that being said, one would hope the relatively simple base here would result in a cut in the price (which doesn't always seem to happen). Personally, I don't think this should be no more than $550.
Yup. I agree.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote