Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 06-20-2021, 08:01 PM   #1861
tonytiger
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
Why is there a conception mix media cost less? Have you ever created a shirt, pants from scratch? The process for fabric takes more time: cutting, sewing, removing excess thread, then fitting.

Also, fabric breaking down. I have OG Thor, Cap, Hulk, Mystique and all are in great condition. I hear more of paint cracking and bubbling than fabric deteriorating. In cases of bad paint, fabric, I bet it is due to environmental factors.
Sorry fabric will break down in time (check out some old predator statues the mix media has broken down) and also is a lot harder to clean.Now for the cost? Just look in the silver surfer thread and you see one collector is on his 5th replacement do breakage etc..The more polystone the more chance of breakage in shipping and end result cost more.
tonytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:47 PM   #1862
worstgamerever
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Sideshow seems to be cherry picking a bit. Premium Format, especially for a superhero as popular as Storm, would normally have an EX. if it was a maquette, yes. But this isn't a maquette, it's mixed media - with a cloth Cape. And yet no EX. Just a little confusing. I've preordered it of course, it's an excellent statue. However I wish it had an EX as a PF or had a sculpted cape without an EX, like a maquette.
worstgamerever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:49 PM   #1863
solidgadium
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

This is a great topic. Longtime collectors can chime in on this topic. I for one have only been collecting for 17 years and have seen quite a bit. Fabric has its ups and downs and some fabrics hold up better than others. I think it has its place but personally I prefer sculpted capes. As far as pricing goes, I don’t believe fabric is cheaper. Examples of damage go both ways, remember the debacle with the Huntress PF cape? Even the replacements bled purple after some time. Prime 1 sold a couple statues with both sculpted and fabric options and both retailed for the same. A few isolated cases of damage can’t determine an entire market, IMO.
solidgadium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:35 PM   #1864
aaronica
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLothos View Post
This has been asked many times in the FB groups, but I haven't seen an official response yet.

Possibly maybe... we'll have to wait and see.
It wun be that early, the exclusive will probably be manufactured together with the normal version and release after the normal version is shipped. So the earliest is probably the spookacular in 2022
aaronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:06 PM   #1865
adee
Green Arrow

I prefer sculpted capes but I don’t have anything against mixed media pieces. I just think capes can be difficult to pose. I have seen some look really good but I’ve also seen some that detract from the statue. I think it depends on how well you pose and fuss with them.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:20 PM   #1866
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstgamerever View Post
Why is everyone double posting?
Its a software bug and the company isn’t putting out updated versions so we are sort of stuck with it. It’s just a minor irritants imo.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:29 AM   #1867
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningRage View Post
I wouldn’t expect it before the reg is released.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronica View Post
It wun be that early, the exclusive will probably be manufactured together with the normal version and release after the normal version is shipped. So the earliest is probably the spookacular in 2022
Good point. We've waited so long for this reveal that I had it in my head that this would ship in a few months lol
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:53 AM   #1868
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3E View Post
Why is there a conception mix media cost less? Have you ever created a shirt, pants from scratch? The process for fabric takes more time: cutting, sewing, removing excess thread, then fitting.

Also, fabric breaking down. I have OG Thor, Cap, Hulk, Mystique and all are in great condition. I hear more of paint cracking and bubbling than fabric deteriorating. In cases of bad paint, fabric, I bet it is due to environmental factors.
100%!

When I see some people post I wonder what they’re doing or allowing to their statues.

How many of us have old clothes that have been worn tons of times that are still intact? What’s the oldest shirt in your closet? Oh you don’t wear it that much? Cool, your statue is the same, it’s just there hanging around.

I’ve had good and bad both ways. My OG Batman sculpted cape came cracked. My XM Batman Samurai sculpted cape felt like chore to get on. I’d like to display XM Black Panther without the cape sometimes, I prefer BP with the shorter cape, not the long cape XM went with, but that huge hole is on his back, thankfully it’s not completely visible but it’s there so I just leave the cape. Just the same, my Doctor Strange’s fabric cape came with the wires ripping out of it. Doctor Doom PF’s fabric cape was annoying the way it pegged in, it popped out way too easily. Good and bad on both sides.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:00 AM   #1869
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
100%!

When I see some people post I wonder what they’re doing or allowing to their statues.

How many of us have old clothes that have been worn tons of times that are still intact? What’s the oldest shirt in your closet? Oh you don’t wear it that much? Cool, your statue is the same, it’s just there hanging around.

I’ve had good and bad both ways. My OG Batman sculpted cape came cracked. My XM Batman Samurai sculpted cape felt like chore to get on. I’d like to display XM Black Panther without the cape sometimes, I prefer BP with the shorter cape, not the long cape XM went with, but that huge hole is on his back, thankfully it’s not completely visible but it’s there so I just leave the cape. Just the same, my Doctor Strange’s fabric cape came with the wires ripping out of it. Doctor Doom PF’s fabric cape was annoying the way it pegged in, it popped out way too easily. Good and bad on both sides.
Good points. I have clothes that are over 30 years old and still look the same. 1800’s Levi’s sell for a pretty penny.

SS went the mixed media route for the realism when they came up with the PF idea. Had nothing to do with cost or breakage (they have stated this many, many times). I’m always amazed how people will just invent a narrative.

I wish I had bought that custom fabric cape for the first Superman PF. Mine is holding up fine, but if anything is going to ruin that statue it’s the GD sculpted cape. Seen a few wrecked already.

That said, I don’t even have a preference, I like both when executed well.
Tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:11 PM   #1870
ukshaun
Hercules

LOADING: Image(s)

This side on angle works rather well.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote