Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2021, 07:36 PM   #71
extracomputer.1
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
I wonder if people understand that comics have been "woke" since the 60's. They were defending the Civil Rights movement, talking about how racism is systemic in the country including its authority figures, tackling sexuality and issues with how backward thinking some of this country is...those are so called "woke" topics.

As for them not wanting to use the piece of art at the start of this thread in prints...well why would you want to use a piece that makes Wonder Woman look like a weak submissive bound in her own lasso? It goes against the strength of the character.
Definitely a lot of truth there especially for the racial stuff but I think the complaints here are more about them jumping off the cliff here. Kind of like animal rights activists when they tried to get all fishing banned and many were even fighting for flies and other insects. Think almost all would agree animal cruelty is wrong but things can be taken too far and that’s when it gets stupid.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:55 PM   #72
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdlovelace View Post
I’ve always wondered how many comics are actually purchased by customers/readers from comic shops or other retailers. That would be interesting to see. It would be even more interesting to see how many would actually be purchased if there weren’t tons of variant covers or tons on speculators buying up multiple copies of certain issues.
Cost per copy vs. price per copy has been an increasing illusion in the print industry. Non linear economies of scale and all that coupled with the irrelevancy of physical media.

The comic books aren't what got mainstream John Q Public interested in comic books. The books have long been solely propped up by the dedicated and die hards. Good selling books are only gravy for the retailers.

Producers turned their eyes towards licensing shows/TV/merchandise long ago. If a book gets bad social media "press" it is just a risk to the much more massive piece of pie.
Production houses could care less if anyone actually likes the books as long as they bring attention to what they are really selling and when they no longer do they will drop the books and shops/retailers like flies.
Comic companies stopped caring about actually making comics long ago and actually selling them isn't too much of a priority either.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:08 PM   #73
bdlovelace
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by extracomputer.1 View Post
Definitely a lot of truth there especially for the racial stuff but I think the complaints here are more about them jumping off the cliff here. Kind of like animal rights activists when they tried to get all fishing banned and many were even fighting for flies and other insects. Think almost all would agree animal cruelty is wrong but things can be taken too far and that’s when it gets stupid.
Exactly. That’s why we have legitimate complaints about what’s happening. I think it’s clear to some people that the Radical Left takes things too far and when that happens, the end result is usually worse, not better.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:09 PM   #74
TheLastMan
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

If I must defend the rights of women to be gorgeous then that's a hill I will gladly die upon.

Sex appeal isn't a one way street. Its also the reason humanity has existed for so long.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:50 PM   #75
ComicJesus
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Cost per copy vs. price per copy has been an increasing illusion in the print industry. Non linear economies of scale and all that coupled with the irrelevancy of physical media.

The comic books aren't what got mainstream John Q Public interested in comic books. The books have long been solely propped up by the dedicated and die hards. Good selling books are only gravy for the retailers.

Producers turned their eyes towards licensing shows/TV/merchandise long ago. If a book gets bad social media "press" it is just a risk to the much more massive piece of pie.
Production houses could care less if anyone actually likes the books as long as they bring attention to what they are really selling and when they no longer do they will drop the books and shops/retailers like flies.
Comic companies stopped caring about actually making comics long ago and actually selling them isn't too much of a priority either.
This is a really good point. When we look at how much the movies make, the comic sales are probably irrelevant. The people like us who have collected all their lives also probably make up a small percentage of their overall consumer number.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:49 PM   #76
ClaraVoyent
Fantastic Four

This turned into a pretty great thread. ����
Wish I could grab some chips and dip and chat with you all for a while, lots of cool knowledge on this forum!
I don't know anyone really into any of this stuff so it's been tough for a newbie. Reading guides or suggest online is just really inorganic and not nearly as fun.

Pretty interesting to hear about the changing dynamics through the years. I personally think the "issues" at hand from yesteryear are a different animal entirely to whatever stand they're taking today, and perhaps more importantly, the methods they take to do so. But whatever, it seems a sellable niche is still a sellable niche.
The notion of a non-sexy Power Girl is completely absurd to me, though. I barely know anything about the character at all, but it would be silly to say that some of her identity and reason for even existing isn't in large part due to sex appeal. Not sure why it I necessary to pretend otherwise, there's nothing wrong with that. These characters are supposed to be exaggerations in all forms.

Well, I guess the quest continues for enjoyable content. I hate seeing the neutering going on in games and other media. It makes it much harder to find something between a cartoon and a full hard R/X rated thing. I think something like Saga (which I may have mentioned previously) really hit it right, with mature themes, guns, characters that die, real stakes, etc.

Well, that was a ramble... Not even sure where I was going with all that. I guess, bottom line, some cool people on here. ����
Old 10-24-2021, 08:53 PM   #77
Sonic Boom
The Green Hornet

If DC wants to play these games, then I'll just buy more manga. They make their ladies as cute and happy as possible.
Old 10-24-2021, 09:15 PM   #78
BurningRage
Inhumans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
If DC wants to play these games, then I'll just buy more manga. They make their ladies as cute and happy as possible.
Hentai 4 Lyfe
Old 10-24-2021, 09:32 PM   #79
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Since DC is going to this modesty route, I would like them to remove all the gay and bi-sexual content they are putting into comics and TV show. Really tired of all this woke nonsense.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:20 PM   #80
saberhagen
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1976 View Post
Since DC is going to this modesty route, I would like them to remove all the gay and bi-sexual content they are putting into comics and TV show. Really tired of all this woke nonsense.
Any other groups of people you'd like to pretend don't exist?
Closed Thread