Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 02-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

My DVD Collection, well a lot of it anyway

This came up in another thread so I am putting up some pics of my completely, totally, and utterly chaotically "dis"-organized DVD collection. Once I get some things done around the house (and that may be a while) I plan on organizing the collection, no small task. At last count I have somewhere around 3000 DVDs of which around 400 are either HD-DVD or Blu-ray. I'd say the high def stuff is evenly split between the two although at one point it was much more heavily weighted towards HD-DVD. I've got the collection all over the house in an assortment of Bertby units and standalone shelves. I've also got a closet that is completely full of DVDs. Here are some pics:

Three of my Bertby's. Each one holds around 180 DVDs so we're looking at around 540 DVDs:

Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:13 PM   #2
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Some of the standalones. Each one is about 80" high and 9" wide. They can hold around 80 DVDs each. 7 standalones in these 3 pics so that's 560 DVDs:

Old 02-24-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

I guess we can call this "The Pile." Well it's not the whole pile but it's enough of it. Mostly HD-DVDs and Blu-rays. At last count there were 250 DVDs in the pile and this is where all the new stuff goes. It's been growing by at least 5 DVDs a week:

Here's a standalone with only High Definition DVDs and 90% of them Hd-DVDs. That's another 80 DVDs

Here's the entertainment unit in my bedroom. Darth and Leia kind of keep an eye on things. Over Darth, on the wall is my awesome 32" Sony XBR Bravia LCD. Yeah Sony sucks but I still love their TVs. Next to Darth is the unit for my absolutely awesome wireless surround sound AKG headphones. These are amazing! On the expensive side but worth every penny. Next to that you might catch a peak of my PS3 and right next to it but not in the picture is my XBox360 Elite. Under Darth and Leia you can see my HD/DVR cable box and under that is my HD-A2. I don't care if they lost the war, I still love it. Under that and just around the unit are about 40 high def DVDs and a bunch of Xbox360 and PS3 games.

Last edited by Zurbaran1; 02-24-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:31 PM   #4
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

If you've stuck around, you've suffered enough so these will be the last two pics for now. Here are two shots of the closet that is completely filled from top to bottom with DVDs. There are a lot of TV series stuck in here and I do mean alot and for most of them the complete series. Included are X-Files, Buffy, All About Raymond, The Sopranos, Star Trek The Next Generation, just to name a few. It may not look like a lot from the pictures but you are only seeing thefront row on each shelf. The DVDs are stacked three deep on each shelf. I don't have an exact count but we are looking at I would say around 1500 DVDs in that closet:

I've also got a really nice collection of Hong Kong films. If you haven't seen any HK films you are really missing out. Some really great films in there and Hollywood is taking many of them and redoing them. Probably the best example is The Departed. I absolutely love that film but it's basically an exact remake of the Great HK film Infernal Affairs. And there are two other Infernal Affair films in what has turned out to be a trilogy.

Also have a nice collection of foreign films, mostly Spanish cinema. I love the films of Pedro Almodovar and there have been some terrific films that have come out of Spain and Latin America.

My wife used to give me a hard time about all the statues I was collecting. I've really scaled way back on the statues because I've come back to the real love in my live (outside the family). And that's the Movies. I have to laugh when my wife gives me a hard time because every night when we settle down she always asks "so what can we watch tonight?" "Whatever you want." I never have to worry about not having something to watch, that's for sure.

So that's it for now. It's not everything but it's a good chunk. It's going to be a huge chore to organize but as chaotic as it is I always seem to be able to find what I am looking for. And yes, I do have doubles and triples of some films but usually that's because of different versions not because I bought the same thing twice by mistake although have have done that once or twice.

Last edited by Zurbaran1; 02-24-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

great stuff zurb...
since your a movie buff id like to ask you a question..
can you reccomend about 5 really good movies that are not mainstream...the reason is i have netflix and i cant seem to find anything i havent seen
i like drama thrillers mysteries action horror...whatever i just hate going on there and not knowing what to pick
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:05 PM   #6
mitthrawnuruondo
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

check out kung fu hustle,and shaolin soccer boony.
mitthrawnuruondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #7
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Boony. Just looking on the shelf next to me I see a couple of really good films I've enjoyed. I know a lot of people have a hate on for Aston Cutcher but I really loved his film The Butterfly Effect, great film. Like I said above if you liked The Departed and want to see where it came from try and get your hands on Infernal Affairs I. It's a fantastic HK film. Narc with Jason Patric and Ray Liotta is a super little film. Have you seen The Host? Nice little horror film from Korea and it got a bit of a buzz when it came here. Did you like The Descent? If so, check out Neil Marshall's earlier fim, Dog Soldiers, it's a great little werewolf movie. Have you seen A Knight's Tale? It's a Heath Ledger film and I thoroughly enjoyed it. A History of Violence with Viggo Mortenson was another really good flick from David Cronenberg. You might want to check out some of his earlier horror films including Scanners and Videodrome.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #8
wolverinejedi007
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Nice collection Old MAn!!!
wolverinejedi007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:34 PM   #9
protector2814
Phoenix

That's a ton of movies. I don't know if you have or are contimplating a shelf-space reorganization but what I just did with my 500 or so DVDs was to Alphabetize them. No more catagories, it just never stayed clean that way and I'd run out of shelf space for one catagory and bleed intoanother. I put 'em all in alphabetical order from Abott and Costello Meet Frankenstein to Zoolander. Left room on each shelf for additions and grow room. I've trained my kids to put it back before they pluck another. No problems finding what I want when I want.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:57 PM   #10
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

thanks zurb...ill check out narc and the departed movie i like the american version alot so ill check that out

i checked out dog soldiers awhile back after you recommended it and liked it,,,,thanks!

keep em comin!
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote