Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Blizzard / Weta

Old 02-20-2022, 07:30 AM   #101
BlackestNight
Sailor Moon

Want to be positive but the Eye blast head sculpt is unusable. I never planned on displaying it, but still disappointing to be something that is literally garbage.

Still fully on board as the regular head looks in line with proto to production pieces.

Not sure what Weta is thinking with the QC knowing the internet will rip this apart.
BlackestNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 07:33 AM   #102
T1OOO
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackestNight View Post
Want to be positive but the Eye blast head sculpt is unusable. I never planned on displaying it, but still disappointing to be something that is literally garbage.

Still fully on board as the regular head looks in line with proto to production pieces.

Not sure what Weta is thinking with the QC knowing the internet will rip this apart.
I would have to see it lit up before judging it.
T1OOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 08:20 AM   #103
StefanCo
Birdman

Is it me or does the regular portrait looks good in those better pictures?
StefanCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 09:49 AM   #104
EStark
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
Posted by Stewart Murray on FB. Again, ignoring the ----ty lighting, my biggest issue is the narrowness...

Narrowness can be achieved with any phone.
Take a photo of someone from 8 feet away, then another from 1 foot. There you go, his face is narrower.
EStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 10:44 AM   #105
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EStark View Post
Narrowness can be achieved with any phone.
Take a photo of someone from 8 feet away, then another from 1 foot. There you go, his face is narrower.
If you are talking about lens distortion, from REALLY close up (like inches away), then yes, you can achieve some weird proportions. None of these these new shots look that close to me though.

If you are just talking about the simple size of an object relative to distance from camera... not really what I'm talking about here.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 10:59 AM   #106
EStark
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
If you are talking about lens distortion, from REALLY close up (like inches away), then yes, you can achieve some weird proportions. None of these these new shots look that close to me though.

If you are just talking about the simple size of an object relative to distance from camera... not really what I'm talking about here.
You don't need to be inches away. Take a selfie at arms length, Your face will be much narrower and longer than it actually is.
EStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 11:30 AM   #107
RPG_FAN128
Mephisto

This whole ZSJL line can be a wash, no one would care. The real tragedy would be if Weta bombs that Tomb Raider Anniversary statue. That's the only piece that matters. </s>

Joking aside, I'm still waiting for some *slightly* higher quality pics/vids before freaking out or passing judgement.
RPG_FAN128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 11:37 AM   #108
SDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EStark View Post
You don't need to be inches away. Take a selfie at arms length, Your face will be much narrower and longer than it actually is.
I'm not talking about selfies either, which is mostly due to angle.

If you want to blame the narrowness of his face in this pic on lens distortion, that's cool.

SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 12:46 PM   #109
terence dawn
Frackin!

Angry

Have looked through around 10 in hand posts by different collectors. TBH, that eye blast head sculpt quality could never be explained by lens distortion or anything. Neutral head is merely acceptable too, at least useable. Now I lean to the theory that weta do have different lines produced in different factories, which might explain this huge modeling and painting discrepancy in this ZSJL black suit sup. Was on fence before for the iconic pose, but now definitely gonna pass on this.
terence dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 12:52 PM   #110
MPCanes
The X-Men

I’ve noticed a few of Wetas headsculpts have been absolute train wrecks in production - their Tomb Raider was pretty awful (imo) as well. It almost looks like it’s using some sort of material that isn’t capturing detail correctly/the same as the proto from a paint perspective.
MPCanes is offline   Reply With Quote