Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Infinity Studios / Gantaku / Queen Studios

Old 03-18-2023, 08:48 PM   #1261
Phoenixblazes
Hawkman

I have both Queen Black Widows, but honestly I’ve never liked the likeness much. Even with the outdated paint app, the Gentle Giant I have is still the superior piece imo.

Though I don’t have Iron Studios 1/4 scale piece, as I didn’t care for the base. I do have a few of their 1/10 scale pieces, and honestly I think I prefer the likeness on them, than I do on Queens. The below being from the most recent solo film.

Phoenixblazes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 11:51 PM   #1262
BigMo
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Far out, is that the 1/10 scale you just posted pics of? That likeness in so much better than both 1/4 scale pieces. WOW!!!!
BigMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 11:54 PM   #1263
BigMo
Brotherhood of Evil Mutants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I disagree, I have seen this piece in the flesh, and I've viewed it from every angle and in varied light conditions - this is one of the best factory portrait paint apps I've ever seen coming out of a Chinese factory.

That said, nobody is going to confuse this portrait with Scar Jo, but I can't fault the paint apps - in my opinion, these are one of those pieces that leaves me wondering if we need the "benefits" of silicone. As I understand it, this is pretty typical for Queen Studios polystone pieces.

I think it's the sculpt itself. I know that paint apps can definitely obscure detail, if applied poorly, but in this case - I can't imagine anything paint related alone could make this resemble Scar Jo.

I think, in spite of it failing to deliver a Scar Jo likeness, it's a very nice piece - The IS comes far closer to delivering the Scar Jo likeness, but I don't believe the IS paint apps to be on par with Queen. So, if I was going to start a repaint project, I'd use the IS sculpt as the basis, not the Queen.
You nailed it and totally agree, the QS paint app is crazy good, just check out the hands. They just didn't nail the likeness unfortunately, I suppose Queen can have the odd miss now and then.
BigMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 01:05 AM   #1264
pdenham
Teen Titans

OK, you sold me.
It's not the paint, it's the sculpt.
Or at least the sculpt as it survived in the factory casting.

The caveat I would add is that - to me- it looks like the problem area is still isolated in the eyes. What I should have said earlier is that the paint apps aren't strong enough, or considered enough, to compensate for the deficiencies of the sculpt in that area.

I honestly don't know if a studied repaint even could compensate to the degree that is needed.

I still don't feel the sculpt or paint was all that off with the prototype or prototype paints-

That's the braided version, but the differences shouldn't have been that radical.
Something got lost, somewhere.
The original prototype pics, attached below, also still look fine to me. YMMV, obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
That's one weird optical illusion, as the piece looks better with the portrait appearing to look less upwards.
Now I remember why I was so conflicted lately.
Yeah, big difference in perception of this due to viewing angle. This looks like something that is going to shine brightest on a lower shelf. Mine would be displayed above eye level, which makes me question the wisdom in following through with the order.

The pro argument is that the main body is still well done and striking, and maybe a higher angle would minimize the problems with the portrait, as you're focused more on attitude, rather than facial details.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6PFRaVA.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	160299   Click image for larger version

Name:	bPyol9A.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	160300  
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 01:16 AM   #1265
Phoenixblazes
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMo View Post
Far out, is that the 1/10 scale you just posted pics of? That likeness is so much better than both 1/4 scale pieces. WOW!!!!
Indeed, it is.
Old 03-19-2023, 02:02 AM   #1266
Silas Loki
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
OK, you sold me.
It's not the paint, it's the sculpt.
Or at least the sculpt as it survived in the factory casting.

The caveat I would add is that - to me- it looks like the problem area is still isolated in the eyes. What I should have said earlier is that the paint apps aren't strong enough, or considered enough, to compensate for the deficiencies of the sculpt in that area.

I honestly don't know if a studied repaint even could compensate to the degree that is needed.

I still don't feel the sculpt or paint was all that off with the prototype or prototype paints-

That's the braided version, but the differences shouldn't have been that radical.
Something got lost, somewhere.
The original prototype pics, attached below, also still look fine to me. YMMV, obviously.

Now I remember why I was so conflicted lately.
Yeah, big difference in perception of this due to viewing angle. This looks like something that is going to shine brightest on a lower shelf. Mine would be displayed above eye level, which makes me question the wisdom in following through with the order.

The pro argument is that the main body is still well done and striking, and maybe a higher angle would minimize the problems with the portrait, as you're focused more on attitude, rather than facial details.
It's your choice, of course, and in today's financial environment - how we spend our money is a serious consideration. But, for what it's worth, I'd get this piece. While it may, "fail" to deliver on its principle objective - it's such a gorgeous piece in and of itself.

It's such a strange situation. While the Iron Studios pieces are "better" - they are also, simultaneously "worse" in my opinion. It's almost as if, I'd be happy to own the IS 1/4 Black Widow as a companion to the QS versions, but if I could only have the IS version - I'd simply just go without owning any
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 09:05 PM   #1267
Toaster
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Imagine what JND could do with this license...
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 09:08 PM   #1268
Phoenixblazes
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
Imagine what JND could do with this license...
I personally haven’t been too impressed with all of JND’s releases. Though these Black Widows from Queen were definitely a big disappointment.
Old 03-22-2023, 04:17 AM   #1269
romakrelian
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
I personally haven?t been too impressed with all of JND?s releases. Though these Black Widows from Queen were definitely a big disappointment.
I'd happily be the judge of that if Spec would ever send it. They told me they are hoping for early Q2.
romakrelian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 05:30 AM   #1270
Phoenixblazes
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by romakrelian View Post
I'd happily be the judge of that if Spec would ever send it. They told me they are hoping for early Q2.
It seems to be taking Spec forever to receive their allotments. I’m so thankful that I have a local store in Sugo, who at the moment receives their Queen pieces only a few months after China. I think I received my Black version of Black Widow 6 months ago.