Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 11-29-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
hawkeyethearcher
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

crazy judge jails 46 people for cell phone ringing

NIAGRA FALLS, N.Y — A judge who jailed 46 people who were in his courtroom when a cell phone call interrupted proceedings was removed from the bench Tuesday by a state commission.

Niagara Falls City Court Judge Robert Restaino "snapped" and "engaged in what can only be described as two hours of inexplicable madness" during the March 2005 session, Raoul Felder, chairman of the state Commission on Judicial Conduct, wrote in the decision to remove Restaino from the $113,900-per-year post.

A phone rang while Restaino was hearing the cases of domestic violence offenders who had been ordered to appear weekly to update the judge on the progress of their counseling. A sign in the courthouse warns that cell phones and pagers must be turned off.

"Everyone is going to jail," Restaino said. "Every single person is going to jail in this courtroom unless I get that instrument now. If anybody believes I'm kidding, ask some of the folks that have been here for a while. You are all going."

When no one came forward, Restaino ordered the group into custody, and they were taken to jail, where they were searched and packed into crowded cells. Fourteen people who could not post bail were shackled and bused to another jail.
hawkeyethearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:02 PM   #2
CocoPUFF
ROT Minister Of Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyethearcher View Post
NIAGRA FALLS, N.Y — A judge who jailed 46 people who were in his courtroom when a cell phone call interrupted proceedings was removed from the bench Tuesday by a state commission.

Niagara Falls City Court Judge Robert Restaino "snapped" and "engaged in what can only be described as two hours of inexplicable madness" during the March 2005 session, Raoul Felder, chairman of the state Commission on Judicial Conduct, wrote in the decision to remove Restaino from the $113,900-per-year post.

A phone rang while Restaino was hearing the cases of domestic violence offenders who had been ordered to appear weekly to update the judge on the progress of their counseling. A sign in the courthouse warns that cell phones and pagers must be turned off.

"Everyone is going to jail," Restaino said. "Every single person is going to jail in this courtroom unless I get that instrument now. If anybody believes I'm kidding, ask some of the folks that have been here for a while. You are all going."

When no one came forward, Restaino ordered the group into custody, and they were taken to jail, where they were searched and packed into crowded cells. Fourteen people who could not post bail were shackled and bused to another jail.
Good! I hate sitting at the movies or trying to sell something, and people just have no courtesy whatsoever! They sit there on the phone, and act dumb and rude! Bout time someone put all those cell phone loving punks in the slammer! Maybe they'll learn to respect the ettiquete of a courtroom!
CocoPUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
hawkeyethearcher
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

unfortunately they will all probably get a pretty nice check from the city in a lawsuit
hawkeyethearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:13 PM   #4
CocoPUFF
ROT Minister Of Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyethearcher View Post
unfortunately they will all probably get a pretty nice check from the city in a lawsuit
they should have confiscated all their phones, and smashed them by making the people run over their own phones in the parking lot!
Old 11-29-2007, 05:32 PM   #5
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoPUFF View Post
Good! I hate sitting at the movies or trying to sell something, and people just have no courtesy whatsoever! They sit there on the phone, and act dumb and rude! Bout time someone put all those cell phone loving punks in the slammer! Maybe they'll learn to respect the ettiquete of a courtroom!
It was one person's cell phone and he threw the entire courtroom in jail.

That's the same as everyone being thrown out of the theater when that dumb ass has their phone ring.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:39 PM   #6
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

To be one of those people going to jail for that, will have a great story to tell people at parties.

Drunk Person A: Man i was at the movies the other night and just as the movie was getting really good, some smucks phone started to ring.

Drunk Person B: Ha if you think thats bad, i was at a funeral and in the church my cell phone went off....

Drunk Person C: Man thats nothing!!!! i was in a court room one time, and some smucks phone range. The judge went nuts and throw us all in jail.....

Drunk People A B C: Cling beers and yell....good times!
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:26 PM   #7
risingstar
Jedi Order

I love this story.

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:31 PM   #8
CocoPUFF
ROT Minister Of Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post

That's the same as everyone being thrown out of the theater when that dumb ass has their phone ring.
Well, then....I'd be pissed about being thrown in jail, but more pissed when I find out whose phone it was! He'd better be in a different cell than me when I find out who did it!
Old 11-29-2007, 07:07 PM   #9
cblakey1
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoPUFF View Post
Well, then....I'd be pissed about being thrown in jail, but more pissed when I find out whose phone it was! He'd better be in a different cell than me when I find out who did it!

My thoughts exactly!
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:05 PM   #10
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER View Post

I don't think they got the point
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote