Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-07-2018, 03:12 PM   #231
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWorf View Post
Maybe wait on the finished product before going off the deep end or projecting deep sinister motivations and agendas?
How much clearer can it be? I think "the FUTURE IS FEMALE" is pretty damn clear. Sinister implies something unseen or hidden ie "left handed". The "agenda" is played out as it is, it didn't work in the all female cast of Ghostbusters, it didn't work in all female cast of Oceans 8, it didn't work with a Mary Sue character like Rey or a frumpy bleeding heart like Rose Tico. If the movie stayed away from pushing social narrative and simply featured the well developed, strong female character, a good story where the character is challenged, proves their worth by overcoming obstacles.. and offered plenty of action everyone would celebrate it. I would love that, I'd be more than happy to watch a feature film of a female like Captain Marvel succeed.
However given the current status of things I'm not feeling too confident when I see "The future is female" on the cover featuring Brie "there's too many white male critics" Lasron. I will reserve final judgement after the films release. For now I'm just expressing thoughts publicly which I think is still non punishable by death.. I don't know these days. The pitch forks and torches are quickly put to action when someone isn't chanting the same mantra as everyone else.
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:32 PM   #232
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by armitage View Post
How much clearer can it be? I think "the FUTURE IS FEMALE" is pretty damn clear. Sinister implies something unseen or hidden ie "left handed". The "agenda" is played out as it is, it didn't work in the all female cast of Ghostbusters, it didn't work in all female cast of Oceans 8, it didn't work with a Mary Sue character like Rey or a frumpy bleeding heart like Rose Tico. If the movie stayed away from pushing social narrative and simply featured the well developed, strong female character, a good story where the character is challenged, proves their worth by overcoming obstacles.. and offered plenty of action everyone would celebrate it. I would love that, I'd be more than happy to watch a feature film of a female like Captain Marvel succeed.
However given the current status of things I'm not feeling too confident when I see "The future is female" on the cover featuring Brie "there's too many white male critics" Lasron. I will reserve final judgement after the films release. For now I'm just expressing thoughts publicly which I think is still non punishable by death.. I don't know these days. The pitch forks and torches are quickly put to action when someone isn't chanting the same mantra as everyone else.
Who wrote "The Future Is Female" headline on the Entertainment Weekly cover? The editorial staff? They haven't seen the movie yet.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:45 PM   #233
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
If the movie stayed away from pushing social narrative and simply featured the well developed, strong female character, a good story where the character is challenged, proves their worth by overcoming obstacles.
1) "well developed, strong female character" only according to your definition, right?

2) "a good story" only according to your definition, right?

3) "the character is challenged, proves their worth by overcoming obstacles" only according to your definition, right?
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:43 PM   #234
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWorf View Post
Back on point. I'll wait and see on Brie and not pre-judge. Look how many people rejected the notion of Keaton as Batman prior to the movie's release or Katee Sackhoff as Starbuck. Maybe wait on the finished product before going off the deep end or projecting deep sinister motivations and agendas?
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:55 PM   #235
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
1) "well developed, strong female character" only according to your definition, right?

2) "a good story" only according to your definition, right?

3) "the character is challenged, proves their worth by overcoming obstacles" only according to your definition, right?
According to your definition..who am I to be the judge of a movie?
Right?
I don't think anyone can contest Ridley Scott's character Ripley in Alien. Same can be said for Sarah Connor in Cameron's Terminator. Angelina Jolie in Tomb Raider. Uma Thurman in Kill Bill. Mila Jovovich in Resident Evil. These and plenty other female leads stand the test of time because of the tried and true formula I just mentioned. Well written, interesting stories and overcoming major obstacles with great difficulty.
It's fairly easy to identify these in a comic or movie, you don't need to be certified to give a critique.
I don't want to see a heroine or hero for that matter do the ol' "one punch and done" bit. No one does.
Neither do they want to be lectured in a medium where the general idea of entertainment is escapism.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:03 PM   #236
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
I don't think anyone can contest Ridley Scott's character Ripley in Alien. Same can be said for Sarah Connor in Cameron's Terminator. Angelina Jolie in Tomb Raider. Uma Thurman in Kill Bill. Mila Jovovich in Resident Evil. These and plenty other female leads stand the test of time because of the tried and true formula I just mentioned.
This is the first that I've seen anyone claim that Angelina Jolie's Lara Croft or Milla Jovovich's character in the RE series are "strong" characterizations (and not referring to physical strength). They're male fantasies.

As for "tried and true formulas", I guess you just want the same tropes served to you repeatedly. No one should ever attempt anything new or different.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:17 PM   #237
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
This is the first that I've seen anyone claim that Angelina Jolie's Lara Croft or Milla Jovovich's character in the RE series are "strong" characterizations (and not referring to physical strength). They're male fantasies.

As for "tried and true formulas", I guess you just want the same tropes served to you repeatedly. No one should ever attempt anything new or different.
Why would people.. especially men watch a movie where Tomb Raider is played by a hot woman in action when they can watch an action film where Tomb Raider is played by a Melissa McCarthy floundering her way through? Why would they want to see someone like Gal Gadot play Wonder Woman when she could be replaced with a frumpier actress with a few extra pounds?
Old 09-07-2018, 06:25 PM   #238
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Why would people.. especially men watch a movie where Tomb Raider is played by a hot woman in action when they can watch an action film where Tomb Raider is played by a Melissa McCarthy floundering her way through? Why would they want to see someone like Gal Gadot play Wonder Woman when she could be replaced with a frumpier actress with a few extra pounds?
Lots of erroneous assumptions here:
1) You're assuming that all men find women attractive
2) You're assuming that all men are superficial
3) You're assuming that all men don't find Melissa McCarthy attractive
4) You're assuming that all men want to watch only one type of "action" movie

Your ignorance is astounding. If Sammo Hung can be an action star, why can't Melissa McCarthy be one?

Old 09-07-2018, 06:35 PM   #239
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Lots of erroneous assumptions here:
1) You're assuming that all men find women attractive
2) You're assuming that all men are superficial
3) You're assuming that all men don't find Melissa McCarthy attractive
4) You're assuming that all men want to watch only one type of "action" movie
No there's lots of what I like to call REALITY.
1.Discounting homosexuals which make up 2.2% and are the minority. I can't say nor do I care. If anyone wants to chime in for posterity, be my guest.
2. For the most part they are. Any guy telling you otherwise is a lying sack of sh!t
3. The amount who do are in a very niche category
4. All Action movies tend to have one thing in common....action.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:38 PM   #240
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Your ignorance is astounding. If Sammo Hung can be an action star, why can't Melissa McCarthy be one?

Have you seen him do his thing? I love Magnificent Butcher and some of the films he's in. He's actually a talented martial artist AND funny. Melissa McCarthy is funny but she aint no Sammo Hung. Maybe if bust her chops and learns Kung Fu that would be another story.
Not everyone can be all things, you have to know your role. I know if I were in the biz I'd be the Curly Howard type not the Zac Efron type actor and I'm ok with that.The world needs a John Candy as much as they do a Salma Hayek