Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 08-25-2012, 10:48 PM   #351
johnclone
The Enchantress

in collecting I have learned to not get excited about things when they are previewed, because they may be cancelled, or there may be a very long wait, even years. Instead, i try to remain kind of detached until the item is actually shipping. It's not always easy though, but I think it really helps to try.
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #352
ChromeColossus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclone View Post
in collecting I have learned to not get excited about things when they are previewed, because they may be cancelled, or there may be a very long wait, even years. Instead, i try to remain kind of detached until the item is actually shipping. It's not always easy though, but I think it really helps to try.
I see where you are coming from and anyone that knows me knows you have to really push the issue for me to go all the sky is falling or come to anger, that said it just for me insults my intelligence when you get the policy line, thats what I should of said
ChromeColossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:22 AM   #353
TheAnswerMVP
Doh!

I'm green to this area of collecting, but it seems to me this line was revealed more for the company show outside investors the collector's market's interest so that they could expand their profits in other areas, not to initially sell statues. That's business, I get it, but I don't think comics, or TV shows need to be established for this line for it to sell, as I think they've got enough interest and the pop culture tie ins of the characters to popular films is better than nothing to get it started.

Seems to me waiting for some sort of series to be established is a risk, people are going to lose interest waiting around for that to happen, and then what if the series ends up being a complete failure... I think the smarter move is to release this first set then proceed with a series to establish the characters and future characters. Besides pre-order figures would speak a lot louder to outside partners than simply chatter.

I figure we won't get a price or release date until they do this series to see how successful that is, that way they can justify a higher price, and if that turns out to be unsuccessful we probably won't see these at all.
TheAnswerMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:37 AM   #354
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

While a media outlet such as comics or movies, isn't required, it can help with driving demand.

But the main purpose for this line is that it is a GG original product and therefore doesn't licensing. This is a good strategy. A good example is Sideshow's "Dead" series of zombie busts and statues. It's not based on any movie, TV, comic book or video game, but still gets decent sales based on the zombie genre. GG is looking to replicate similar success based on a hot kick-@$$ chick line.

GG can already demonstrate demand based on the Sucker Punch sales. The Sucker Punch was financial and critical flop, but there' still strong demand for statues.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #355
dechirico7
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclone View Post
Which happens a lot with Gentle Giant. The company has established a reputation for stretching release dates and also cancelling items.
True, the Sucker Punch girls, well 2 of 3, sold well, but the do have a tie to the movie, which some enjoyed. Their awesome quality definitely brought in non-fans of the movie, to purchase the statues. I'm not really sure what will happen with this line. I can see two of these being released, hopefully the two that appeal to most of us. It will be interesting to see if they all get produced. I hope they do. I am also hoping that this pushes GG to expand to other licenses.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:22 AM   #356
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Well, I'm a massive supporter of this line (from what I've seen), but.....I'm also quite pragmatic about the whole thing. If GG want's my money, they can have it, but if they drop the line I'll simply save some money and spend it with another company.

When you think about it, they only need to sell what, 500 of each? That's what they did with Baby-doll and she was attached to an outside I.P. which needed to pay for itself. So in real terms is there really any excuse for them NOT to make this line.

I'd also point you over YamatoUSA making their Fantasy girls (1/4 scale statues) and those are also not attached to any I.P. other than their "based" on the artwork of Luis Royo (spelling?), while I wouldn't say they're successful in the same way as certain Marvel or D.C lines, they are being produced and sold in very limited numbers, which must be paying the rent for the floor space they take up or a company like YamatoUSA wouldn't even do it.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #357
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Actually 1000 Baby Doll statues were made since the Japanese versions were essentially the same. 1000 units is a reasonable expectation to get some returns.

BTW the license Royo statues are the very definition of IP. You have an artists reputation and style which helps drives interest.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #358
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Location: In a country where inequality, oppression, corruption & racism reigns supreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue01 View Post
See. Now, this is how rumors get started. I will neither confirm nor deny any meetings with potential outside collaborators to bring Honey Trap to new mediums.

However, one could say that hypothetically, *if* we were being courted by several different companies interested in working with us on, say, a Honey Trap comic book, animated series or movie, we wouldn't go about revealing the backstory we've created yet until we've finalized a deal with said new partner(s) and incorporated their input. No sense in starting one story just to potentially have to go back and change things. Retconning is no fun. Just ask DC about the New 52.
Ah HA! So I'm close!

I wasn't starting a rumor, Greg. I was just grabbing some ingredients and throwing them into the pot. This is a forum no? Heck, I wasn't even serious, (hence the ) but now you said so, it's ON!!!...

I kid! I kid!
derekrodneysim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:11 AM   #359
Hunterkingxxl
Luke Cage

Hunterkingxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #360
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

LOL...there's so much coming out right now, Darth Malgus, Batman (D.C. stuff), even Yamato FFG, I don't blame GG for holding back on these...I mean, sure, I'd try to scrape the money together to get the set, but unfortunately my puny contribution won't keep their business afloat..
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote