Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 07-16-2021, 10:14 AM   #1
ruzzell
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Nubia and the Amazons

Finally Nubia is getting a solo comic book series! After being introduced back in Wonder Woman #204 in 1973, Nubia as Diana’s twin black sister was relatively forgotten. As part of the Wonder Woman 80th anniversary event DC is bringing her back in several comics including her own title in a mini series starting in October!

“After the thrilling events of Infinite Frontier, Nubia becomes queen of Themyscira, but the new title also brings challenges. With the unexpected arrival of new Amazons, our hero is forced to reckon with her past and forge a new path forward for her sisters. Little does she know, a great evil grows beneath the island and it’s up to this former guardian of Doom’s Doorway to unite her tribe before paradise is lost forever!”

Also hoping we get some new Nubia merch. Just saw that Funko is planning a new Pop based on Nubia’s original appearance.

ruzzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:40 AM   #2
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Twin Black Sister ? from same Father ? Zeus ? or Nubia was sculpted from the sand on the beach of Tymascira (i don't know, if i wrote it right) as well ?
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:41 AM   #3
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I do not know if I will be purchasing this but I am really glad that DC is doing this mini series. Nubia was always a character I thought that DC totally missed the boat on. When DC finally realized there were people of color in the 70's, This could have been a character that DC could have put a better focus on. Other than her 2 to 3 appearances in Wonder Woman and in SuperFriends #25, she was no where to be seen.

I am hoping that DC does treat this character well and with respect. I almost wish that Bendis would use her instead of Hyppolyta in the Justice League title but I do like what he is doing with Hyppolyta.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:47 PM   #4
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

I'm looking forward to this series! I'm a bit behind on my DC books, but I will probably catch up around the release of this issue.
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:23 PM   #5
ruzzell
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
Twin Black Sister ? from same Father ? Zeus ? or Nubia was sculpted from the sand on the beach of Tymascira (i don't know, if i wrote it right) as well ?
Yes, in the original comic Nubia was formed from the same clay as Diana (albeit a darker clay) and had the same powers and heritage.
ruzzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 02:38 PM   #6
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzzell View Post
Yes, in the original comic Nubia was formed from the same clay as Diana (albeit a darker clay) and had the same powers and heritage.
Oh, that's great. A Black Character with real potential, if you ask me. I have another question, now. What happened to Hippolyta ?
Old 07-16-2021, 05:56 PM   #7
mmk123

With Wonder Woman currently traveling through various realms after Dark Metal, the current DC Universe does not know where she is (though they do not think she is dead). Hyppolyta is currently taking her place in the Justice League.
Old 07-16-2021, 06:54 PM   #8
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

I'm no Wonder Woman expert. I just read WW: Odyssey, vol. 1 and WW: Earth One, vol. 1

And those are it... For now. As you can see, i'm quite the opposite of expert, i'm a WW Noob.

I read as such in Earth One, vol. 1; Hippolyta could never leave her duties to her Amazonian sisters in Tymasicira as The Queen. It was forbidden for her to leave the island. She was The Eternal Queen of Amazons. Then again, that was an elseworld tale and Hippolyta was the Wonder Woman in Goyer&Robinson JSA in World War II era before Flash Point and new 52.

I guess, DC can do whatever they want.
Old 07-16-2021, 07:46 PM   #9
mmk123

yeah, it was back during George Perez's run that Hyppolyta was allowed to leave the island. I have not read his run in years but I do not think that the Amazon's were so much required to stay on the island but rather chose too.