Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 07-11-2021, 10:33 PM   #1461
dao2
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collectorcol View Post
If that's sculpted the texture and paint is amazing.
Recon it's MM though, look really close on the right edge and there's a tiny bit of fraying.
the pouch is definitely sculpted
dao2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 02:18 AM   #1462
csutkakoma
The Herculoids

Do we know if the skirt etc. are made from real leather? I think at this price point it should be. I didn't see anything at the description.
csutkakoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 06:53 AM   #1463
Jungle Demon
Hydra

I would rather have it 3d printed and molded in polystone. I don't want to worry about flaking and fabric deteroation etc.
Jungle Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:51 AM   #1464
Liquid75
Shadowhawk

Stupid question but can materials flake if the statue is encased in a dustproof display?
Liquid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:30 AM   #1465
Dundee
Hydra

It looks to be mixed media on the prototype. I've emailed Prime 1 clarifying what materials they'll be using for the shorts during production and suggested whether they can use polystone instead and mold it into the sculpt (like the 1/4). Both real and fake leather can deteriorate, I'd take polystone any day of the week.
Dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:53 AM   #1466
Halcyon
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade3327 View Post
The back of the skirt looks sculpted, but I'm not entirely sure. If it's mixed media all over, I'm actually more worried about the back because it appears to have a leathery sheen to it. Those are the kinds of surfaces that can flake off with time. At least the front has a suede appearance, so it can be faked with a safe, normal fabric.
Yes, bcs the front is obvious other material (suede like), that is reason i looked closer at the back. And the 1/4 skirt had very good sculpt and paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collectorcol View Post
If that's sculpted the texture and paint is amazing.
Recon it's MM though, look really close on the right edge and there's a tiny bit of fraying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dao2 View Post
the pouch is definitely sculpted
Yes it is,
the straps and belt look MM atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Demon View Post
I would rather have it 3d printed and molded in polystone. I don't want to worry about flaking and fabric deteroation etc.
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
It looks to be mixed media on the prototype. I've emailed Prime 1 clarifying what materials they'll be using for the shorts during production and suggested whether they can use polystone instead and mold it into the sculpt (like the 1/4). Both real and fake leather can deteriorate, I'd take polystone any day of the week.
Ok thx, hope they will go for sculpted (skirt and belt) like the 1/4. Tassels at the front i'm less worried about.

I will post the 1/4 skirt below.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:59 AM   #1467
Halcyon
New Republic

These photo's are from original proto 'Cover Art 1/4'
Which is very good and fully sculpted.

Acc to GaryTonge, he had to look twice to see if his was real or sculpted when he got it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CoverArt-Skirt1.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	141159   Click image for larger version

Name:	CoverArt-Skirt2.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	141160  
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:35 AM   #1468
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid75 View Post
Stupid question but can materials flake if the statue is encased in a dustproof display?
Regarding leather, there are three main types: real (Full Grain, Top Grain, Genuine), bonded, and faux (aka fake, aka pleather). All can crack, but bonded and faux will do so much more easily and quickly.

Real leather is basically skin, and just like our skin it can be maintained with conditioner (moisturizer). Unlike clothing or furniture, which will see wear and tear, a piece of properly maintained mixed-media leather on a statue could last 100+ years (but that may be limited to Full Grain leather, and I doubt any statue producer would ever use that high quality). Faux leather is made of plastic, has a limited life span, and will crack, and there isn't much you can do about it. Bonded leather is adhered to a paper backing that will dry out and flake off. Bonded and faux can't really be maintained because they don't absorb moisture. They'll just age and crack.

Dustproof display doesn't really do anything for maintaining these materials...except maybe regulating the humidity to an extent.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:53 AM   #1469
GaryTonge
Kingpin

Humidity is the real problem with leather. I've got toys with pleather from when I was a kid and my kids are now playing with them, 40 years later. The pleather is in perfect condition.

Unless you live somewhere tropical without AC or a dehumidifier, you'll be fine.
GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:47 PM   #1470
VILE GUILE
The X-Men

I want it sculpted too. It's a statue and should be done like the 1/4. Mixed media clothing looks cheesy too me imo, specially the stitching when each stitch is humongous. It's just another thing you have to worry about & maintain.
VILE GUILE is offline   Reply With Quote