Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 10-30-2007, 12:05 PM   #41
kal-el
Statue Forum MacDaddy

He had to tell MLB before the World Series was over. He saw that the Red Sox were probably (and did) win and had to let them know before it was over or he couldn't opt out. That's why the timing was bad. As for where he will end up who knows. Not too many teams are going to pay him more than 25 Million a year. Plus he wants a long term deal . Thats a ton of money to throw at one player who may decide to leave after 3 years a la Texas Rangers. I can only think of a few teams with the money to do this.
1)Yankees: Don't count them out yet , George likes to waste money and he can afford him.
2)Mets: They also have the money and they are tired of always playing 2nd fiddle to the Yankees.
3)Red Sox: The have the money and now a winning tradtion, A-Rod would be a good fit.
4)Tigers: They also have the resources and he has ties to the coaching staff
5)Cubs: If they get a owner soon who is loaded and wants to spend even more money , a reunion with Lou is possible.
6)Dodgers: If Torre goes there, they have the resources to bring A-Rod back to the west coast though I think this would be a mistake for his career

Either way some team will benefit from A-Rod or will they? I'm a Cubs fan and though I'd like to see him here WHY? The Cubs sell out every game so there would be NO extra revenue from that unless they raise the price of hot dogs and beer to $10 each. So if you wanted to take your kid to ball game in Wrigley and sit in nose bleed seats and have 1 dog & a drink it would probably only cost $300 for the afternoon. It's the fans who end up footing the bill for the big contract and the fan who suffers the expense. What a double edged sword. Nothing short of a World Series win would justify bringing A-Rod to your team.
kal-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:40 PM   #42
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal-el View Post
He had to tell MLB before the World Series was over. He saw that the Red Sox were probably (and did) win and had to let them know before it was over or he couldn't opt out. That's why the timing was bad. As for where he will end up who knows. Not too many teams are going to pay him more than 25 Million a year. Plus he wants a long term deal . Thats a ton of money to throw at one player who may decide to leave after 3 years a la Texas Rangers. I can only think of a few teams with the money to do this.
1)Yankees: Don't count them out yet , George likes to waste money and he can afford him.
2)Mets: They also have the money and they are tired of always playing 2nd fiddle to the Yankees.
3)Red Sox: The have the money and now a winning tradtion, A-Rod would be a good fit.
4)Tigers: They also have the resources and he has ties to the coaching staff
5)Cubs: If they get a owner soon who is loaded and wants to spend even more money , a reunion with Lou is possible.
6)Dodgers: If Torre goes there, they have the resources to bring A-Rod back to the west coast though I think this would be a mistake for his career

Either way some team will benefit from A-Rod or will they? I'm a Cubs fan and though I'd like to see him here WHY? The Cubs sell out every game so there would be NO extra revenue from that unless they raise the price of hot dogs and beer to $10 each. So if you wanted to take your kid to ball game in Wrigley and sit in nose bleed seats and have 1 dog & a drink it would probably only cost $300 for the afternoon. It's the fans who end up footing the bill for the big contract and the fan who suffers the expense. What a double edged sword. Nothing short of a World Series win would justify bringing A-Rod to your team.
Arod is not going to the BoSox... Especially after he squashed their WS win with his news... The Yanks I doubt are going to get him back... The Mets Maybe, but I dont see that happening... Detroit... Thats a joke... Dodgers I highly doubt... Cubs are definetly in the running because arod wants to play with Lou again... and the other team that you didnt mention is the Angels... The owner loves arod and has a boatload of money... and they are a strong team as it is...

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:42 PM   #43
Sniper
Objectivo Bastardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightstar1441 View Post

Chicago is more likely due to the fact it is hitter friendly and he would be allowed to move back to shortstop.
I doubt he is going to a NL team, He is a creature of habit so going to a new league after more than a decade in the AL doesn't seem plausible.

as for being allowed to move back to shortstop, he is the best shortstop in the league before he moved and right now. He will be playing shortstop for any team he signs for, no matter who is at the position.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:24 PM   #44
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
He'll probably follow Joe Torre to the Dodgers, and maybe Rivera and Posada will go there to.
Great minds think alike. I agree, that would be pretty cool...and I think the Dodgers may have one of the few payrolls/major market that could take on this salary.
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:05 PM   #45
Parker
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

AROD did not have to opt out before the World Series ends. He had ten days after the World Series ended to opt out.

This was intentional and deliberate on his part.

I am disappointed in him
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:07 PM   #46
Collection King 13
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
AROD did not have to opt out before the World Series ends. He had ten days after the World Series ended to opt out.

This was intentional and deliberate on his part.

I am disappointed in him
Actaully its his agents fault... His agent shouldve kept his mouth shut until after...

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
Old 10-31-2007, 03:07 PM   #47
Collection King 13
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultMan View Post
Great minds think alike. I agree, that would be pretty cool...and I think the Dodgers may have one of the few payrolls/major market that could take on this salary.
He is not going to the Dodgers... I say the Angels or the Cubs...

Old 10-31-2007, 03:16 PM   #48
Alex655321
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collection King 13 View Post
He is not going to the Dodgers... I say the Angels or the Cubs...
I don't think the Cubs will pull the trigger on A-rod.

I cut and pasted an article I read about this from http://www.cnbc.com/id/20954479

A-Rod To Own Some Of The Cubs? Not Likely

Now to the part about A-Rod signing with the Cubs. The Tribune Co. has already loaded a ton of debt on to the team thanks to the signings of Alfonso Soriano, Derrek Lee and, most recently, Carlos Zambrano. To sign A-Rod before a sale is done would be idiotic. Major League Baseball wants to get this thing done by the end of the year, but all signs--the usual delay combined with the fabulous property that is--points to the sale happening earlier next year. That means that the new owner wouldn't be in position to make the financial commitment to A-Rod in the offseason.
Alex655321 is offline   Reply With Quote