Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 08-26-2006, 04:25 PM   #51
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1
Relatively small? I didn't think there have been that many titles released yet.

What's the story with that Japanese version of Equilibrium. Are HD-DVDs region coded. Is this player region free?
The DVDForum has not yet adopted a region coding standard for HD-DVD.

However, the player is not region free for SD-DVDs.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:26 PM   #52
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkfan
Technology is too hard (and expensive)to keep up with!
The same can be said about collecting statues.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:52 PM   #53
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
There is definitely that much of a difference.

Does your friend subscribe to any HD cable (or dish) stations? If so, go visit someday and have him show you a movie being broadcast in true HD, then switch immediately to an SD station. You won't believe the difference you're seeing.
I believe Cable and Dish HD broadcasts are compressed so technically they really can't be considered "True HD". You can notice this when the picture begins to break-up during really fast moving scenes (action sequences).

Apparently, Local OTA (Over the Air) HD is an uncompressed signal w/o the flaws of Cable/Dish.

Quote:
The difference between HD-DVD and SD DVD isn't quite as dramatic, but it's definitely worthy of the upgrade. It's about the same difference as DVD compared with VHS actually, which should give you some idea.
Definitely have to disagree with you on this.

DVD and VHS were light years apart....especially when some films were remastered in HD and then downconverted to DVD standard. Colors, Detail and SOUND simply blew VHS away! Hell....just being able to watch films anamorphically was reason enough to convert.

Now the difference between HD-DVD and SD-DVD for me was night/day....especially with films that I would frequently watch.

Serenity perfectly illustrates this with the intro landing sequence, speeder chase and the film's final space battle. The sound is unmatched and the PQ is simply crisp, clear and practically flawless.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:53 PM   #54
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
That seems very strange to me, but I guess I could beleive it. I've just read about so many bugs with the HD-A1, I assumed it was logical to think that they will eventually work them out and begin to produce more well-oiled machines in the future, as most products do. Either way, the player is so affordable that I really am tempted... The quality of content available has really been the only thing holding me back. Once some biggies like LOTR, Pirates/Caribbean, etc, come on the scene I'm sure I'll probably give in. Or, if you just want to send me an HD-A1 in trade for a PF Logan, I'm sure I could live with that.

It's really not that strange. Most of the bugs, from what I can see, are software related and being addressed by the firmware releases. They have not skimped on the actual hardware if you listen to the experts and the box is extremely well constructed. Following generations may cut some corners component wise to increase their bottom line. That's the way I'm reading what's out there and it does make sense if they are going to make money on each machine, something which they apparently are not doing now although they won't discuss it.

Sure I'll send you an HD-A1 for Logan. PM me your address and ......
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:56 PM   #55
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
That seems very strange to me, but I guess I could beleive it. I've just read about so many bugs with the HD-A1, I assumed it was logical to think that they will eventually work them out and begin to produce more well-oiled machines in the future, as most products do. Either way, the player is so affordable that I really am tempted... The quality of content available has really been the only thing holding me back. Once some biggies like LOTR, Pirates/Caribbean, etc, come on the scene I'm sure I'll probably give in. Or, if you just want to send me an HD-A1 in trade for a PF Logan, I'm sure I could live with that.

You could always buy it and try it out for a few days.

If you don't like it.... then just return it.

Best Buy has a 30 Day Return Policy
Wal-mart has a 90 Day Return Policy (Carries HD-D1 ...same machine)
Costco has a lifetime Return Policy (YMMV)
Old 08-26-2006, 05:01 PM   #56
Andy Bergholtz
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyrocket786
I believe Cable and Dish HD broadcasts are compressed so technically they really can't be considered "True HD"...
LOL, I was wondering when someone would bring this up.... Yes I completely agree, I was mostly just trying to make a point.

Also, you're right about the comparison to HD/SD dvd and VHS/DVD, my comparision is too bold in that respect.

Zurb, that's mainly what I meant about bugs--- the software. I'd like to be able to buy a player without having to constantly update it's firmware.

*edit*... Just read your other thread about the firmware, I guess it's not too terribly inconvenient to install. Are they pretty quick about getting the udated CD's to you?

Last edited by Andy Bergholtz; 08-26-2006 at 05:09 PM.
Andy Bergholtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:38 PM   #57
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

Quote:
LOL, I was wondering when someone would bring this up.... Yes I completely agree, I was mostly just trying to make a point.

Also, you're right about the comparison to HD/SD dvd and VHS/DVD, my comparision is too bold in that respect.

Zurb, that's mainly what I meant about bugs--- the software. I'd like to be able to buy a player without having to constantly update it's firmware.

*edit*... Just read your other thread about the firmware, I guess it's not too terribly inconvenient to install. Are they pretty quick about getting the udated CD's to you?
It varies. My last upgrade CD was on backorder and took a few weeks to get to me.

Usually... someone on AVS has an ISO/NRG available to download for each firmware update. Just download, burn and upgrade.

Currently.... the download for V2.0 is a beta version and not the offical version available via the ethernet update. So far, no V2.0 CD has been released yet.

I'm going to update via the ethernet later today.

The CD update takes about 10 mins.
The Ethernet update takes about 30-35 mins.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:43 AM   #58
P1X4R
Producer

i'd prefer burning an ISO image and installing from it than upgrading via a network connection. what if you got disconnected in the middle of the process? would it be kinda like flashing your computer's BIOS? you'd be in a serious jam if that happened, no?
P1X4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:00 AM   #59
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1X4R
i'd prefer burning an ISO image and installing from it than upgrading via a network connection. what if you got disconnected in the middle of the process? would it be kinda like flashing your computer's BIOS? you'd be in a serious jam if that happened, no?
Ed, burning to disc is not possible right now from the Toshiba sidte although the image has been made available elsewhere. I think Toshiba is considering setting this up as a lot of folks have asked for it. Seems to be a no brainer and a lot cheaper than sending CDs to everyone who asks for one. I know I'd be more comfortable doing it this way than over the ethernet connection.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:11 AM   #60
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Can someone tell me how these cable channels are showing films in HD when most of the titles are not even released on HD-DVD yet?
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote