Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 06-08-2013, 02:57 AM   #221
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
The brown suit definitely has a more earthy tone to it. Not sure if I agree it feels more "genuine" because of that though, after all it is a wet suit and they come in many colors, most of which are bright. The red is more in line with Domino's suit from Thunderball which is what I feel inspired the piece in the first place so that's another aspect that I prefer. Though she was a brunette.

While I understand how some are passing this off as a simple paint variation they really do look like two different girls. The blonde does indeed look a bit Swedish.
I think I simply meant that the regular wet suit just seems more...... traditional? I don't know, I just buy the regular girl as looking more like a pro I guess.

I agree that they do look like two different women.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:48 AM   #222
superboylives
Mephisto

It's funny, but I tend like the regular version more to. The red does pop on the exclusive and so does her blonde hair, but some how she seems more fake(for want of a better word) to me. Like a model modeling scuba gear vs a woman that actually knows what the gear is. Don' t get me wrong, the exclusive is stunning, but I just prefer the regular version. But if it cost more than $400 I won't be getting any of them anyway.
superboylives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:54 AM   #223
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Her hands and fingernails are unbelieveable looking! So real! Wow!!! When are these Honey Tap beotches supposed to be released anyways????
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:30 AM   #224
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechirico7 View Post
I like the regular version more.
Same here. That's a few of us now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper245 View Post
This piece is nothing more then a paint variant from the regular version. The sculpt and pose are exactly the same as the regular. This variant will cost GG very little in additional cost to produce since they will be using the same mold as the regular version. All they have to do is pump out 100 extra pieces beyond the ES of the regular and paint them the variant color scheme. If the sculpt or pose was different then the regular version then I could justify a price increase because a new mold would be needed.

This is a $500 piece tops any way you slice it and anything beyond that is just plain old greed imo. GG knows that collectors salivate when they see a very low ES and SDCC Exclusive in the same sentence. Add to that a sculpt of a sexy chick and they saw major dollar signs and jacked up the price to capitalize on it. There is no doubt that this piece looks outstanding but it isn't a $700 piece especially when there are no license fees to recoup and very little back story has been released from GG to tie it to anything substantial. If the regular releases are priced in the neighborhood of this variant then I don't see this line doing well at all unless they all have a very low ES.
This is why I'm very interested in the regular price and edition size. I guess Gentle Giant now knows that there are I would assume at least 50 people who will pay premium price for something like this. I assume 50 because some went to flippers and I would guess another 1/4 to 1/2 for actual SDCC sales.

Quote:
The brown suit definitely has a more earthy tone to it. Not sure if I agree it feels more "genuine" because of that though, after all it is a wet suit and they come in many colors, most of which are bright. The red is more in line with Domino's suit from Thunderball which is what I feel inspired the piece in the first place so that's another aspect that I prefer. Though she was a brunette.
Remember Domino never wore the suit in the movie. Only in promotions. Bond wore the suit. That's why I wish they did more with the homage. The red suit is nice and all. But I have a hard time agreeing with what Gentle Giant is doing pricing this variant unless the normal is priced at $100-$150 less. This to me is not how you start a statue line.

And the normal suit is almost a nude. Kind of like a woman's tights. Compared to the red, which is also see through. It's still cool but just not as I guess dangerous looking as the normal. She's too glamorous with the red lipstick. But maybe I'll change my mind after seeing real SDCC pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
Her hands and fingernails are unbelieveable looking!
I thought it was a photoshop at first. Her hands are really detailed.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:39 AM   #225
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

GG should have put up the regular edition Whisper at the same time as the SDCC exclusive. There wouldn't be all the this rampant speculation on the price. And some of us would like to see this line get off the ground.

How long until regular Whisper goes up for pre-order?
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:56 AM   #226
Rhye
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

She's already poping up on ebay:
http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/SDCC-201...item3f25e1acf9
http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/SDCC-201...item27d396350f
Rhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:01 AM   #227
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Yep. Many people are PGM members for the express purpose of flipping. That 's what happened to a large share of the Japanese edition Babydoll that was available to the PGM members.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:40 AM   #228
Vallos
Jubilee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy
Personally I find it refreshing that there is still a company that offers something TRULY LIMITED despite demand screaming at them to do otherwise.
The more I sit and ponder on this, the more I get upset for not putting my order in. The hefty price tag initially had me exasperated to the point where I could not think straight. I simply could not logically justify buying it at this price. As time moved on, I started seeing the limited run of 100. That number kept flashing in my mind more prominently than the price tag. I was becoming enamored with owning a rare item with such beauty and intricacies, that I started looking for ways to budget my finances to put my order in.

I was not able to formulate a plan before the statue was sold out, but I surely would have made room for it had I had more time. For me the biggest thrill I get collecting is owning something rare and unique, and I'm truly upset at myself for forgetting that.
Vallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #229
Shoo
Hercules

Quote:
[*]The vibrant eyes and glossy lips on the Ex as opposed to the dull eyes and dull lips of the regular.

I don't think her eyes are dull at all. If anything, I think the Ex looks like she's wearing colored contact lenses. Her hair also smacks a bit of a dye job imo. Like others have said, the reg seems more like a genuine pro as opposed to a model.

Also, the red suit being see-through somehow doesn't seem as realistic to me.

Don't get me wrong, the Ex does really pop out more and I understand the appeal (the ES helps, too!). it is a terrific piece. I just prefer the reg.

I was looking forward to this line, but I'm afraid they're going to price me out.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #230
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

I wonder if you can mix and match the tank/hose for the scuba gear if you own both versions
SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote