Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 05-31-2015, 05:49 PM   #1
lordrycon
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

PHX CC Haul + EVS Grail!!!

Hi there folks,

After initially not intending to go to Phoenix Comic Con at all, I bought a Friday badge and went along to see what it was all about. I'm glad that I did because I had a great time.

It was great to meet Rob (Simplyrob) in person. Rob was sitting with Ryan Ottley for the weekend and ended up with an Exhibitor badge, so we did a deal and before you know it I ended up with his no longer needed Full Event Pass!

Now, on to the art and such...

I was one of the first people on the floor for the weekend, but by the time I got to Arthur Adams table there were already 11 people on his sketch list. I was after a small addition to my Batman Jam and he mentioned that not only could he not get it done on Friday, but he most likely wouldn't get to it for the whole weekend. Funnily enough the guy who was waiting behind me to get some stuff signed was someone who I met at PHX Fan Fest last December, we chatted and caught up and it turned out he was actually the first person on Arthur's sketch list and informed Arthur that he could actually do my headshot first considering it was only small. Huge thank you to Damian, I don't know if you frequent these boards but thank you.

Here it is, Arthur Adams: Two-Face.

I couldn't be more happy with how this turned out

Next I moved on to Darick Robertson, an artist who I was excited to meet again after meeting for the first time in Melbourne, Australia close to 5 years ago. He gave a me a sneak peak of a new project that he is working on and was kind enough to add a headshot to my Batman Jam for a donation to the Hero Initiative.

Darick Robertson: The Riddler.

The next person, and final addition to my Batman Jam was someone I was thrilled to talk to and has to be one of the nicest artist attending conventions. He and his wife were so kind and accommodating.

Todd Nauck - Damien Wayne (Robin)
lordrycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:53 PM   #2
lordrycon

Completed Jam Piece:

It was also a great pleasure to meet the legendary Jim Steranko. What a fascinating guy and great story teller. Jim has a way of talking to you that makes you feel like you've been life long friends. I picked up this great and iconic Nick Fury print that he had on offer.

I was also excited to meet the one and only Judge Dredd!

Old 05-31-2015, 06:00 PM   #3
lordrycon

Finally, I got to meet Ethan Van Sciver, my favourite artist of all time, for me, he is the reason I got into comics. I am beyond happy that I got to pick up the piece I have wanted more than any other piece since I started in this hobby 4 years ago.

I brought my Absolute Green Lantern: Rebirth hardcover along and Ethan was cool enough to do a little remark sketch in there.

And behold, my grail, Sodam Yat of the Green Lantern Corp!

Ethan and Andrea were very kind and welcoming to me during the convention, I had a great time chatting with them both.

All in all, a great convention!
Old 05-31-2015, 06:33 PM   #4
Ankylo
Fantastic Four

Super nice pieces! Congrats!
Ankylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:04 PM   #5
freeform
The Spirit

all winners!
freeform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:40 PM   #6
Mfinn123
Hydra

Good on you and great on EVS -- after all the bashing from folks, it is great to hear a GOOD EVS story..thank you - his art is incredible and I am happy to hear what a nice guy he is...
Mfinn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:52 PM   #7
BillC
Hellboy

That's awesome that you got your grail (and met the artist), congrats! That Batman jam is extremely cool too. All images on the piece look well done.
BillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:25 PM   #8
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Love the art adams piece and that is a nice EVS piece, he does have some good art skills.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:07 PM   #9
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

That EVS piece is really nice and scoring Art Adams at the same show is icing on the cake.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:34 AM   #10
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

dude, Ryan, visiting with you was one of the things that made that show so awesome for me this year. folks, the EVS is so detailed and the colors are so fantastic, no way does that pic do the piece any justice. its truly beautiful! also, I'm waaaaaaayyyyy jealous of the batman jam. i wish i would've started on a larger piece of paper like yours, so great! glad you had a great con!
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote