Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 09-06-2016, 02:18 PM   #1
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

The Bait....and Switch

You guys ever run across the bait and switch? I've been hearing of it a bit now.

Where you are quoted one price and a few weeks later its another price. Or maybe after doing the work the artist felt like they should be paid $25 more for how it turned out.

Or maybe its something seemingly small where the paper used to be 11x17 and now its 11x14.

How do you handle the bait and switch? Walk away? What if they already have your money?
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:48 PM   #2
Mr. Machismo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Simple: Stop visiting CoolLines.
Mr. Machismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #3
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

haha. im sure coolines can have their own thread dedicated to them.

the bait and switches that I'm referring to are either from reps or artists.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #4
Mr. Machismo

Lol. Yes, I have. Thinking about something magically raises its price, sort of thing. But I find it exceedingly rare.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:04 PM   #5
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

examples?

Are we talking commissions or pages in their inventory?

Are you saying this was done intentionally? I set up a commission on 11x17 paper and the artist forgot and did it on 11x14.

CAF

Last edited by JadeGiant; 09-06-2016 at 04:07 PM.
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #6
Mr. Machismo

I think the biggest bait and switch is agreed-upon timing. I just cancelled a commission because what was supposed to be two weeks has been 14 months+. In this case, I'd usually suggest walking away if you can't disassociate the negative experience from the piece, as it just drags down the pleasantness of the hobby. My two cents.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:17 PM   #7
Punisher1919
Death is hereditary.

I've had this happen. From a fairly reputable guy too. I wont name names because I'm over it...and I was really happy with the quality of the piece.

Commissioned a piece for ECCC 2014, paid up front. Artist had to cancel his appearance...no problem. I said I'd pay for shipping when he had a chance to complete it. Again, no problem. Some months roll by, piece isn't completed, but I knew that would be the case, so I just set up pick-up for NYCC. A friend of a friend at the time (now a good pal....you know who you are) offered to pick it up for me and ship it....still all good. I wasn't even worried about the fact that I paid shipping for a piece that was getting picked up...just a sign of good faith/appreciation. When my friend arrives to pick-up the piece at NYCC, the artists rep tells him that I still owe $50 on the piece (I had paid in full in advance). Through email, my friend tells me the predicament and that I still owe the rep money. I tell him that I paid in full, well in advance of ECCC (the show it was originally commissioned for), the rep tells him that prices increased a few months ago (after ECCC). I tell him to tell the rep that I paid ECCC prices because I was picking up for ECCC...it was the artist who had to back out. The rep tells him to tell me that I still need to pay the difference because of the price increase (despite the fact that the prices were the prices when I commissioned it). I reminded him that I had already paid shipping on a piece that was getting picked up, so I subtracted the shipping from the $50 difference and made paypal payment of like 17 dollars. I would've argued this further if I was picking up in person, but since this was a friend of a friend at the time, I didn't want to burden him with this virtual argument.

Long Story Short - I paid the March price for a pick-up in April. The artist was unable to complete my piece by then, prices increased in like July or August, and this rep (in all his infinite wisdom) figured I needed to pay the difference....jackass.

Love the piece though
Punisher1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:25 PM   #8
Punisher1919
Death is hereditary.

I think there are ways to handle this sort of thing too (an artist preferring 11X14 over 11X17 all of a sudden, or an artist anticipating a higher quality piece than originally paid for).

Not really a Bait and Switch, but I had commissioned Nick Pitarra for Chicago a number of years ago. He was offering busts and headshots at the time I think (can't really remember), and gave me his rates. I asked for a Punisher and he got an idea in his head of how he wanted to lay out this piece, but it was going to be a full cover-quality scene (and I think I was originally paying for a bust or a single figure or something). Nick emails me to tell me his idea, but says its going to take him much longer and that the price of this piece would be higher. I agree and I end up with an absolutely phenomenal piece and unlimited respect for Nick. He wanted to do something with the piece, was completely transparent about it, and it ended up being a great experience.

This was Nick in the pre-Felix days, but I've got to give Felix his due here too...communication and service has always been top notch with Felix and his crew.
Punisher1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:29 PM   #9
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

the bait and switch I had was with a well known artist - very talented and doesn't show up to the US too often.

agreed to a price - I think 250 and had it down in writing. it was hefty for a bust on a jam but given the theme I had going for, I needed to have her on it.

piece was completed. and when done it was, oh I did a little bit more on it. please add another 25.

umm.......ok.............
Old 09-06-2016, 07:02 PM   #10
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I don't see these as pure bait and switch as it doesn't sounds like the artist/reps intended to uncharge when the original deal was set. It does end up the same way however so I can see your point and justified frustration.

In the case of the rep bumping the cost $50, I would likely pay it if I really wanted the piece but I would have a really hard time doing business with them again. I am big on principle and this instance lacks in that category (although I don't have their perspective on the story). It's a bad call all around for the rep to risk losing future business for a few bucks, not to mention damage to your reputation if the story was shared.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote