Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-11-2023, 02:49 PM   #161
Onewiththeforce
Deadman

Here?s an odd question. I certainly hope nobody takes this the wrong way as it?s not meant with any ill intent as it is more coming from a place of being inquisitive.

Does anyone ever think that when it comes to SS PFs that the ?mixed media? concept/percentage just happens to be a little on the ?higher? or unbalanced side? I ask because one of the things that keep me from pulling the trigger on delving into SS PF Star Wars line is that I personally feel that the mixed media materials seem to either dominate or over-power the ?statue? concept. Granted, the PFs are not ?posable? like Hot Toys are, but I sometimes feel like there is more ?fabric? than I would like and would love to see more ?sculpted? elements in my expensive statues.

Again?. Not saying that these pieces are not brilliant because that are stunning to look at. Just wondering about the thoughts behind the ?balance-unbalance? of sculpt to mixed-media ratio.

Thank you in advance all.
Onewiththeforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 03:14 PM   #162
Straken-SWE
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewiththeforce View Post
Here?s an odd question. I certainly hope nobody takes this the wrong way as it?s not meant with any ill intent as it is more coming from a place of being inquisitive.

Does anyone ever think that when it comes to SS PFs that the ?mixed media? concept/percentage just happens to be a little on the ?higher? or unbalanced side? I ask because one of the things that keep me from pulling the trigger on delving into SS PF Star Wars line is that I personally feel that the mixed media materials seem to either dominate or over-power the ?statue? concept. Granted, the PFs are not ?posable? like Hot Toys are, but I sometimes feel like there is more ?fabric? than I would like and would love to see more ?sculpted? elements in my expensive statues.

Again?. Not saying that these pieces are not brilliant because that are stunning to look at. Just wondering about the thoughts behind the ?balance-unbalance? of sculpt to mixed-media ratio.

I think the problem is that the thickness of the material used for miniature clothing, doesn't translate very well to all types of clothes, certainly not capes
Straken-SWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 03:45 PM   #163
Onewiththeforce
Deadman

Can see that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straken-SWE View Post
I think the problem is that the thickness of the material used for miniature clothing, doesn't translate very well to all types of clothes, certainly not capes
I can see that.

I just find it interesting in that my wife and I had a conversation recently and as she is not an expert on statues and statue collecting (neither am I for certain), that she made an interesting observation. Her observation was that she saw the large scale 1/4 scale and larger pieces that were sculpted, she saw those as ?sculpted? but when it came to those that were mixed media or more mixed media than most, she saw them as expensive ?dolls? as she addresses that the ?sculpted details? go into the profile/heads and exposed hands and skin on legs but overall she was addressing my SS OG Princess Leia A New Hope where the head/portrait was ?sculpted? as was the hand/arms (which are covered) as can be said for the Han Solo and the Bespin Luke.

To be honest?..,, I never thought about it that way?..until she (an otherwise outsider) brought it to my attention. It made think about the concept of a ?statue? versus an ?expensive doll.?

Anyways?- food for thought which is probably why I am struggling with making the dive into Star Wars PFs.

Again, just food for thought?..
Old 02-11-2023, 04:15 PM   #164
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

From my point of view, the larger scale you go, the more needed are mixed media, especially for movie pieces in 1/2 scale and life size. For those below, I still prefer mixed media on some, but it's depending on the quality of the materials. I still have my fingers crossed on Queens' 1/4 scale Loki (their prototype looks damn near perfect to me).
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 04:27 PM   #165
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Ah, sculpted vs mixed media, one of the larger debates within this hobby. I personally prefer all sculpted elements to a high degree, though I do admit there are a few exceptions where I think it's fine or warranted, but those are somewhat rare.
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 05:00 PM   #166
Onewiththeforce
Deadman

Fair enough?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
From my point of view, the larger scale you go, the more needed are mixed media, especially for movie pieces in 1/2 scale and life size. For those below, I still prefer mixed media on some, but it's depending on the with quality of the materials. I still have my fingers crossed on Queens' 1/4 scale Loki (their prototype looks damn near perfect to me).
This is a great point. And I get it when it comes to the idea of ?movie pieces? to seem more movie accurate. I was looking at my friend?s recent Star Wars Mythos line and was seriously amazed with the Darth Vader damaged on the X-Wing engine and the sculpt of his cape and cloak was really well done!!! I currently own the OG Vader PF with the lighter base and although I love it still, have a hard time with all of a sudden not imagine it without a sculpted cape. LOL. I wonder. I then touched the legs and remembered that even his ?suit? is material. I forgot about that.
Old 02-11-2023, 05:08 PM   #167
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:

You have offended me, sir. I challenge you to a duel, to regain my honor!

ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 05:11 PM   #168
Onewiththeforce
Deadman

Here?s the thing?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
Ah, sculpted vs mixed media, one of the larger debates within this hobby. I personally prefer all sculpted elements to a high degree, though I do admit there are a few exceptions where I think it's fine or warranted, but those are somewhat rare.
And in addition, I don?t want to downplay the quality and skill of work that goes into creating, cutting, patterning, sewing, dying, sizing, etc. all the steps to create quality capes, belts, clothing, etc. because I am not good with a thread and needle and have ever used a sewing machine so I know that these folks who create these are incredibly skilled, talented and have invested quite a bit of time, effort and money into honing those skills but it does come back to what I personally view as a ?statue? versus a high end ?doll.? So yes, the on-going conversation in this hobby for sure.

Take the new Power Girl 1/4 scale versus the OG?. The cape is a ?half sized? as far as capes go?.. yet?. The OG was cloth?.. the new one sculpted. The argument can be ?well this half size to sculpt is safe?..but beyond a certain length it?s too dangerous for breakage in shipping, yaddah, yaddah, yaddah?.. but regardless, it was done. Then you have the pose saying that it?s meant to be ?flowy? because she?s floating but then they have the wiring in capes so that could work either way?.

So again?., just an interesting concept for discussion is all. So for an example in the SS Power Girl?. I view the newer one as an actual full scale ?statue? of the 2. It has a more ?higher? end feel to me.
Old 02-11-2023, 05:13 PM   #169
Onewiththeforce
Deadman

LOL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
You have offended me, sir. I challenge you to a duel, to regain my honor!

Too funny!! Love that we have this hobby. It?s a lot of fun and love the inspiration for discussions. Thank you all for sharing the passion.
Old 02-11-2023, 05:14 PM   #170
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
This is a great point. And I get it when it comes to the idea of ?movie pieces? to seem more movie accurate. I was looking at my friend?s recent Star Wars Mythos line and was seriously amazed with the Darth Vader damaged on the X-Wing engine and the sculpt of his cape and cloak was really well done!!! I currently own the OG Vader PF with the lighter base and although I love it still, have a hard time with all of a sudden not imagine it without a sculpted cape. LOL. I wonder. I then touched the legs and remembered that even his ?suit? is material. I forgot about that.
For dynamic capes, sculpted will almost always look better, but I still usually prefer fabric for accuracy.

I have many Batman movie statues (8), and I love the simple black leather/pleather caps draping down on my 1/4 (Sideshow Keaton), 1/3 (Prime 1 Batfleck) and 1/2 (Prime 1 Batfleck) scale Batman pieces. The only Batman capes I didn't truly care for, were the ones from Queen Studios.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote