Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2018, 08:26 PM   #581
Wombat
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel54 View Post
New Frazetta Statue....$629.
Not crazy about it to be honest.
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:33 AM   #582
Kriegsfuerst
A day without sunshine is like... night.

First I would like to make sure that I don't want to be a poor sport here to all of you who have ordered Level 52's catgirl. Tastes are different...luckily and there is aslo the fact playing a role in everybodys buying decision, that it should be important to support a company who releases Frazetta statues on a hopefully regular basis.

the Catgirl is one of my favourite paintings, the pose, the interplay of colours, the untamed ferocity of the big cats and of course the voluptuos beauty of the girl itself. Just brilliant !

But then the staute ? OMG...seriously? I don't see any resemblence in her face. It looks like a cheap plastic toy, and the tree seems to have melted under too much heat and even worse, it looks totally unfinished. And I'm not being rude. There may be voices now, who will defend the sculptor, telling that the goal was to bring the painting alive as close to reality of the painting as possible and the painting is kind of blurry. BS ! I say a statue, especially a statue in that price range has to look as close to reality itself as possible!

Just let this comparision with WETA's Shadow of the Tombraider speak for itself. That's how you sculpt a tree.

The overall quality of this Catgirl looks like a sculpt released 20 years ago - sorry.
Well at the end I guess, I'm just disappointed to imagine, what truly could have been realised with one of the most iconic paintings of Frank Frazetta based and judged by the level of sculptic' techniques and skills.

PS: @TNovak: no offense that I took your picture for the comparison. You are definitely the most hardcore Frazetta collector around. And I adore your office.
Kriegsfuerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:26 AM   #583
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

No offense taken Krieg,

I can see some of your criticism, particularly on the face but I have to say maybe they were a little gun shy on that? Tony Cipriano did what I thought was a near perfect match on the Huntress with cats face for ARH and got pilloried for it, so much so that they had to make a separate face and still sold very few. Ehrens Virgin of Mahar is more like the face we see from Frazetta but to be fair that was also an ink sketch with more defined features.

For me the thing that bothered me the most was they only included the trees in kind of the circular portion for the base and unpainted it looked to me like a Stargate kind of portal or something but once it was painted I thought it looked good and was true to the painting. I am happy with her and am glad I got her.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:31 AM   #584
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel54 View Post
New Frazetta Statue....$629.
Blackheart does these and I thought George was just going to make kits of it like he did of his Geiger, Bram Stoker, Ray Harryhausen, Karloff, and Lovecraft busts

https://blackheartmodels.com/tribute-busts

but he must have gotten a license. I probably one get one. Like the Death Dealer at the grave they are a nice tribute but not my cup of tea.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:02 PM   #585
Wombat

Happy New Year!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	happy new year.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	119713  
Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:25 AM   #586
goto
Mephisto

Little afraid what is the result of the of Swordsman on Mars statue from Level52.
Created by Ehren Bienert but that is not guaranteed a good end result.
goto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:39 PM   #587
Marcel54
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by goto View Post
Little afraid what is the result of the of Swordsman on Mars statue from Level52.
Created by Ehren Bienert but that is not guaranteed a good end result.
Why are you afraid?? The proto looked excellent.
Marcel54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:15 PM   #588
cstojano

I'll have to agree with those concerned here. I have largely kept silent because I am not really looking to add more to my collection at this point. With every release, the more I appreciate what CS Moore did with this line, despite the scale (which I am fine with). I thought every ARH offering was weak and continue to think I must just be missing something with these newer releases. The Kabuki, a big head-scratcher what people see in that. These Level 52 pieces I just don't get either. Honestly, I think it is the computer sculpting on some of the faces that looks off.
cstojano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:41 AM   #589
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Video out on kabuki/Frazetta’s Barbarian...I am digging it a lot more now that I see it on video, Moore’s version is still king in my book, gotta wait to see more pics and videos to see if I still like ARH’s version better.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...fNL7d02w-DthxY
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:15 AM   #590
warhead
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I think I like the bronze better than the classic paintup.

warhead is offline   Reply With Quote