Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 06-10-2021, 04:35 PM   #11
Mister H
Green Goblin

Amount of display room has forced me to slow down already. I’ll never truly stop like Mr. Jones did but I’m good with slowing to a crawl.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:35 PM   #12
Yojimbo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

There’s always an equilibrium, which should come in the next few years. However, one thing I’ve noticed with manufacturers is that they are always quick to raise prices (complaining about either: 1. Inflation/cost of goods sold or 2. Better quality products). Neither are necessarily true. But one thing they don’t do is lower prices. You’ll see heavy discounts (coupons/sales) more than likely, but the base price isn’t likely going anywhere.
Yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:44 PM   #13
Yojimbo
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I’d like to give you a possibly interesting perspective from a newbie: I started collecting statues within the last year. Didn’t know they existed before.

I can say, at current prices, I didn’t feel like it was too expensive for what I got. When I saw a 1/3 P1 piece and paid $1400 total for it… I thought it was reasonable.

Since I started collecting, the few pieces that have stuck out to me as feeling too expensive (from a noob perspective) was the 1/4 P1 Jungle hunter, and the Godzilla/King Kong dio, for example.

But $700 for SSC PF, $1300 for P1 1/3, $1200 for QS 1/3….. thought it wasn’t too bad.
Yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 05:28 PM   #14
craigcliff1
The Masters of Evil

When I started I thought 250.00 PF were somewhat cheap, 200.00 PFs at BBTS were cheaper, 325.00 original Hulk I thought was a bit much

when we got to 300.00s PF I started to say this is starting to a bit much, but did keep getting them. When we got to 400.00 around PG PF range, I started to say ok I not that excited now.

some statues that were pretty pretty cheap for what you got
First Hulk PF
DD on Throne.
First Glad Hulk PF
Luke vs Wampa Dio
First Spidey Comi
Hulk vs Spidey Dio
craigcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:05 PM   #15
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I remember when the heatseeker deadpool set the new PF high at $700.00 (if I remember right)...some loud rabbles on that one. Here we are now...1/6 pieces approaching/at that number. You can still get 1/4 for under that, but they're simpler designs with simpler engineering. I think eventually if prices keep rising and incomes don't increase to match that then more and more will be priced out of the hobby. It will force companies to lower prices...whatever that means for the end product.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 07:52 PM   #16
goatchumby
The Herculoids

The SS Thor Modern Age Premium Format was the first statue that I recall debuting in the $400s and I thought that was the end of the hobby. Little did I know that years later I would find relief that a 1/4 statue was only $640.
goatchumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:25 PM   #17
Phoenixblazes
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
I remember when the heatseeker deadpool set the new PF high at $700.00 (if I remember right)...some loud rabbles on that one. Here we are now...1/6 pieces approaching/at that number. You can still get 1/4 for under that, but they're simpler designs with simpler engineering. I think eventually if prices keep rising and incomes don't increase to match that then more and more will be priced out of the hobby. It will force companies to lower prices...whatever that means for the end product.
Honestly I don’t see incomes to being the biggest factor really. As 1/4 scales have gone from $200 to $1,200. So that’s 6 times in around a decade. And that still hasn’t done anything, even with all the complaints. If anything the number in the collecting community has exploded in that time frame. So while some individual collectors are probably collecting less pieces per year, I feel that the number of incoming collectors are probably more than offsetting any drop offs.

Whether you collect movies pieces or not, the Fandom has increased way beyond just comic book collectors, due to the increase in popularity created by the MCU etc. In my opinion we won’t see a crash in statue pricing until superhero movies go the way of the Western.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:07 PM   #18
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
Honestly I don’t see incomes to being the biggest factor really. As 1/4 scales have gone from $200 to $1,200. So that’s 6 times in around a decade. And that still hasn’t done anything, even with all the complaints. If anything the number in the collecting community has exploded in that time frame. So while some individual collectors are probably collecting less pieces per year, I feel that the number of incoming collectors are probably more than offsetting any drop offs.

Whether you collect movies pieces or not, the Fandom has increased way beyond just comic book collectors, due to the increase in popularity created by the MCU etc. In my opinion we won’t see a crash in statue pricing until superhero movies go the way of the Western.
I agree...MCU has likely brought an influx of new fans in so that helps. I just don't see people hanging around past a certain price point. It's more expensive than it was ten years ago and it keeps getting more and more so. There'll always be people with the funds to pay whatever, but they're the exception. Some have already been priced out...some are hanging in there. At some point, unless incomes grow to make up for the difference, people will no longer be able to afford it...as much as they might want to. I'm not saying it's in the immediate future, but I think the next 5-10 years should be interesting.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 10:19 PM   #19
craigcliff1
The Masters of Evil

I think it was first Bats PF when I notice 400.00. that was about when I started to not be excited about new pieces, didn't get much for a while, then I went IA TF, and a few P1 Joes. Then no new
statues from those, so got PCS Joes, those are toast, now it's just a TMNT or TF statue when one shows that I want, or a Robotech that shows up here and there.
craigcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 10:33 PM   #20
Phoenixblazes
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcliff1 View Post
I think it was first Bats PF when I notice 400.00. that was about when I started to not be excited about new pieces, didn't get much for a while, then I went IA TF, and a few P1 Joes. Then no new
statues from those, so got PCS Joes, those are toast, now it's just a TMNT or TF statue when one shows that I want, or a Robotech that shows up here and there.
I only begun collecting about 7 years ago at which point premium formats were at that price. At least in US dollars. The thing is at that point the Aussie dollar was parity with the US for about a year, but within a matter of a few years our currency was averaging around 0.65 to 0.70 USD for every Aussie dollar. So with the increase in shipping, statues for me had almost doubled in price, whereas for those in the US the cost was only maybe a 50% increase during that time frame.

So I had already suffered a bit of whiplash with the pricing and it was either get out or get over it. Obviously I got over it, and if anything I’m now spending amounts I would never have thought possible on life size silicone busts and 1/2 scale statues. Except for MCU pieces I’m pretty much out of the 1/4 scale game.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote