Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 06-11-2021, 01:09 PM   #1481
moyiori
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
I doubt we'll get a Beast. A little bird told me that sculptors despise fur. It's a pain in the arse.
That's a shame, cause the only other Beast i've seen that's the best, is the custom erik sosa beast. Wasn't a fan of the XM beast.
moyiori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:16 PM   #1482
Black Cat
Thunderstrike

While I'm really happy with the reveal and she is a day one order. I think this would have looked amazing.

Black Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:19 PM   #1483
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

I do agree Harbottle should have done the whole piece.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:37 PM   #1484
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
It's not uncommon for the portrait to be done by one sculptor, and the body/base by another. Sideshow doesn't tend to specify what each sculptor does on a particular piece. Harbottle has done portraits for other pieces in the past, like the Dark Phoenix/Green Jean Gray, and Rey.
I think it is safe to assume, Newman supplied a complete sculpt, that sat on the shelf for one reason on another, a sculpt complete with portrait.
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:41 PM   #1485
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
Better than nothing. If i am honest, i have little intention of picking this piece up. I would have been interesting to see the original portrait.

I wonder how Will feel's given the task of coming up with a portrait for another sculptors sculpt?

Knowing Will Harbottle, he probably would have rather sculpted the complete statue.

I wonder how Newman feels, knowing Sideshow gave the green light to the sculpt all bar the portrait?

I have been on the fence for some time with regards to the Sideshow Jean Grey PF. I think there is more chance of me picking that up over Storm. I'd be happy with the Reg.
It does happen all the time. You'll see multiple sculptors on a piece quite a lot. Sometimes just doing a base, one portrait, or the body.

However considering Newman does some of the best female portraits at Sideshow and has his own line of Female sculpts in bronze, it is a little off putting to me that he doesn't have a portrait for this statue.

I mean he did Shaak Ti, Cleopsis, Machiko, Kerrigan, The newest Jean Grey...the list goes on.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:46 PM   #1486
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
It does happen all the time. You'll see multiple sculptors on a piece quite a lot. Sometimes just doing a base, one portrait, or the body.

However considering Newman does some of the best female portraits at Sideshow and has his own line of Female sculpts in bronze, it is a little off putting to me that he doesn't have a portrait for this statue.

I mean he did Shaak Ti, Cleopsis, Machiko, Kerrigan, The newest Jean Grey...the list goes on.
My guess is, given Sideshow is a large company, various meetings were held, and right or wrong, they decided to change the portrait. It might have simply been the result of something sitting around for too long and looking stale in the eye's of those that viewed it for too long. Sometimes company meetings result in making changes just for the sake of making changes. It gives some people a sense of purpose. It might have been the result of pressure from the outside, at Marvel for example.
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:51 PM   #1487
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I’m sad that it isn’t a Newman portrait bc at first I thought it was. The body is all him, so he gets full credit to doing a great job on all of her and those damn sleeves. I wanted to see how he would treat her facial features since his first Storm PF is very exotic and bold with her features.

There is no way the portrait was a fail. I guess it’s just not what Sideshow wanted. I think it would have been fantastic to have two portraits for this.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:53 PM   #1488
Master Pizza
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyiori View Post
That's a shame, cause the only other Beast i've seen that's the best, is the custom erik sosa beast. Wasn't a fan of the XM beast.
I thought I was the only one.
Master Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 02:24 PM   #1489
WalkerFodder
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Pizza View Post
I thought I was the only one.
I also wasn't a fan of the XM Beast strictly due to sculpt vs value. Just too much money for what you get. And the additional portrait was a complete waist of time.
WalkerFodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 02:45 PM   #1490
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I think the sculptors better suck it up just one time to make Beast. Beast deserves it.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote