Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 05-15-2021, 09:51 AM   #1
DiscoCougar
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Blank sketch covers and comic remarks - Do you consider them original art?

For the past 2 years a lot of artists that I've been looking to get sketches from seem to be focusing all their efforts on selling quick sketch covers and remarks instead of doing full blown commissions. And while I get it from their side of things (they can do a lot more drawings quicker, get paid a full commissions worth of cash by only drawing 3-5 covers for much less effort, and don't need to invest a lot of time and energy into a single customer's commission idea), as a customer I kinda feel like owning one is like owning a hold over.

I don't know - does anyone else feel like owning a sketch on a comic doesn't really count as owning an actual original piece? Certainly blank cover sketches feel a lot more than just a head sketch in the corner of a regular comic. But still??
DiscoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:58 AM   #2
Sam
Hydra

A sketch cover and remarque on the cover are really not much different from commission sketches to me. I don't consider them in the same realm as original comic pages. I also don't see the graded sketch covers as worth more than graded key issues from a collector's point of view (nevermind the monetary value). I have quite a few remarqued and graded comics, and I almost always choose a low value book to get remarqued because I really don't want to take a chance of devaluing an expensive book just in case cover remarques fall out of favor. I doubt remarques and sketches on hardcover endpages will ever fall out of favor, but those on covers may due to the obscuring of the cover artwork. Just my thoughts.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:44 PM   #3
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Yes, I do

That said, there are many different things that fall into the category of "original art" and many people seem to view it a little differently.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote