Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 12-10-2014, 05:27 PM   #171
Babytoxie
Ghost

I finished the hardcover reprint of Frank Miller and Walt Simonson's Robocop vs. The Terminator. This 4-issue miniseries was one of my favorite comics of the '90s, and it's one of the best crossovers I've ever read. It's loaded with time travel, and the paradoxes will make your head hurt, but it works! It takes the two properties far beyond what you would expect in a standard intercompany crossover, actually making them dependent upon each other. Do yourself a favor and check this out.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #172
risingstar
Jedi Order

I am now midway through the Annihilation omnibus and I'm really enjoying it. It's been such a pleasure to get off Earth, or more specifically, out of the US, for a great cosmic adventure.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:07 PM   #173
THECLOWN KNIGHT
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I am now midway through the Annihilation omnibus and I'm really enjoying it. It's been such a pleasure to get off Earth, or more specifically, out the US, for a great cosmic adventure.
Fasten your seatbelt for the rest of the ride.
THECLOWN KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:20 PM   #174
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I am now midway through the Annihilation omnibus and I'm really enjoying it. It's been such a pleasure to get off Earth, or more specifically, out of the US, for a great cosmic adventure.
TheClown Knight's right. You are in for a great ride. This is one of my very favorite Marvel stories to have come out in the past 20 years. Just fabulous.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:50 PM   #175
Babytoxie
Ghost

TIGER LUNG, by Simon Roy

Life in the Paleolithic Era would have been difficult enough with having to fight for survival against other humans, animals, and the elements, but what if you also had to deal with supernatural beings? That's the basic premise of Simon Roy and Jason Wordie's TIGER LUNG, published by Dark Horse. The story is set 35,000 years ago in the land now known as Romania. Back then, the world was a much larger and more mysterious place, full of gods, demons, ghosts, and were-beasts. Tiger Lung, a traveling shaman, must protect his people from these otherworldly threats, while trying to understand them himself.

This smaller-format hardcover collects the three part "Beneath the Ice" from Dark Horse Presents #21 - 23, as well as two bonus stories: "The Hyena's Daughter" and "Song for the Dead", plus concept art, character designs, and notes, and the endpapers showcase a map of Tiger Lung's world, complete with locations for each of the stories (and others to come). The other work by Roy that I've read (Prophet, Jan's Atomic Heart and Other Stories) is science fiction, but his art and designs are perfect for the prehistoric setting of TIGER LUNG. He does an excellent job of depicting the people and culture, but what really stands out in these stories are his supernatural creatures, similar to Paleolithic cave paintings found at Lascaux and Trois Frêres.

I'm not aware of any other "prehistoric fantasy comics" out there, but TIGER LUNG shows that the combination can work. Sneaking in just before the deadline, this collection makes my list of Best Releases of 2014
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:16 PM   #176
Peter-Vell
a marvelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECLOWN KNIGHT View Post
Fasten your seatbelt for the rest of the ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
TheClown Knight's right. You are in for a great ride. This is one of my very favorite Marvel stories to have come out in the past 20 years. Just fabulous.
Peter-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:58 PM   #177
protector2814
Phoenix

I collected the Flash throughout the 80's & remember really liking the book. Then, Barry went m.i.a in Crises & I kind of lost the urge & dropped the book, picking up the occasional issue throughout the next 2 decades.
Anyhoo, the new CW series is just so g-d great, that I decided to invest in a trade and picked up Geoff Jones & Ethan Van Sciver's Flash Rebirth. "Wow! I loved it! Read so many cool instances that the show is honoring that I'm even more impressed with the comic-integrity that the show is demonstrating. What should I read next? Should I jump straight to Flashpoint? or are there other great Flash modern collections I should read first?

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:23 PM   #178
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Black Widow is an brilliant book with one of the best artists working in comics today.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #179
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I collected the Flash throughout the 80's & remember really liking the book. Then, Barry went m.i.a in Crises & I kind of lost the urge & dropped the book, picking up the occasional issue throughout the next 2 decades.
Anyhoo, the new CW series is just so g-d great, that I decided to invest in a trade and picked up Geoff Jones & Ethan Van Sciver's Flash Rebirth. "Wow! I loved it! Read so many cool instances that the show is honoring that I'm even more impressed with the comic-integrity that the show is demonstrating. What should I read next? Should I jump straight to Flashpoint? or are there other great Flash modern collections I should read first?

The CW Flash show is A LOT of fun. It feels like they merged the personality of Wally West into the shoes of Barry Allen. And it works.

You can read Flashpoint and enjoy it without having to know a bunch of backstory. I thought the Flashpoint animated movie was really well done as well. The amount of violence surprised/delighted me.

I'd highly recommend ANY Mark Waid Flash paperback. He wrote some of the defining Wally West stories and one featuring the return of Barry Allen. Don't spoil yourself with reviews. Seek this one out. It's great watching the two Flashes in action. As I said, Flash + Mark Waid = Awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/Flash-The-Retu...R0D6NBM5AYEA8M

And of course I have to recommend Grant Morrison and Mark Millar's collection as well. If you're looking at sequence, I believe these stories go after Mark Waid's run.

http://www.amazon.com/Flash-Human-Ra...man+race+flash
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:41 PM   #180
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

I just read the series finale to Ed Brubaker's Fatale. Great horror-noir!

ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote