GaryTonge
Kingpin

Congrats! You're going to love it!
GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 07:47 AM   #1232
Tandre
Fantastic Four

Some help please!.
I have bought a Big Chap Prime 1 DX Statue.
I have read that some statues are shipped upside down, for added security.
Does anyone know something about this?.
Should i have my Big Chap turned upside down for more security for shipping?
Thank you very much
Tandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 04:52 PM   #1233
MASTERSAFARA
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade3327 View Post
Think not bothering with an ES would be best. I can see why they wouldn't want to announce all variants, reissues, etc. from the very beginning as it could hurt business (and they probably want a decent number of sales on the first run in case that's all there is), but if there's no ES, at least customers would be fully aware of the possibility that there could be more later. In other words, what Hot Toys does.
This assumes P1 had planned the re-release of Big Chap from the beginning. Doubt that is true. This got re-released as part of their 10th anniversary celebration.

As far as edition sizes go, they’ve always been a part of the high end collectibles market. That is part of what you’re buying; the exclusivity and limited nature of product. If you take that away, you might as well be collecting rocks. I would hate to see a situation like this considering what P1 has done with this re-release and have it change collectibles from having edition sizes.
MASTERSAFARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 08:39 PM   #1234
Xenoburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERSAFARA View Post
This assumes P1 had planned the re-release of Big Chap from the beginning. Doubt that is true. This got re-released as part of their 10th anniversary celebration.

As far as edition sizes go, they?ve always been a part of the high end collectibles market. That is part of what you?re buying; the exclusivity and limited nature of product. If you take that away, you might as well be collecting rocks. I would hate to see a situation like this considering what P1 has done with this re-release and have it change collectibles from having edition sizes.
I cannot understand this mindset being applied to companies like Prime 1 or Sideshow.

They churn out thousands of Chinese-factory-painted statues with high edition sizes every year. Loads of paint flaws, broken pieces and other defects with customer service that essentially tells you to cry about it (on Prime 1's end). Why would anyone buy into these for the "exclusivity and limited nature of the product".

There is absolutely nothing prestigious about collecting these.
Xenoburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 11:29 PM   #1235
pau123
Sailor Moon

Paying over 1.5k for a statue is not cheap.
pau123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 12:34 AM   #1236
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenoburger View Post
I cannot understand this mindset being applied to companies like Prime 1 or Sideshow.

They churn out thousands of Chinese-factory-painted statues with high edition sizes every year. Loads of paint flaws, broken pieces and other defects with customer service that essentially tells you to cry about it (on Prime 1's end). Why would anyone buy into these for the "exclusivity and limited nature of the product".

I think it depends on which perspective you consider.

For a "civilian" visitor to your collection room, or display - Sideshow or P1 might hold certain wow factor. Same as WETA, XM, or any number of "also-ran" companies...YMMV

Obviously from the perspective of another, mature, collector - these brand names might not hold any water. That said, I think you'll find there's a healthy debate and a high degree of subjectivity in which companies a person would consider prestigious. Some might say JND, while others might point at Infinity or Queen.....
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 01:14 AM   #1237
MASTERSAFARA

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenoburger View Post

Whether limited availability factors into one?s reasoning or not, for purchasing and collecting, once an edition size is set for an item it is a part of what is being offered/purchased/sold. I?m not saying it?s the sole reason for collecting but it?s always been a part of these collectibles. They?re limited and numbered. I buy a piece first and foremost because I like the license, character, pose, paint, concept and final product. The limited nature is just a part of the deal. And in a case like this where the same statue is re-released after it?s sold out in my mind violates the terms of the original release. But they?re getting away with it by basically slightly changing the base. However, it?s basically the same statue of the figure. I?m just saying don?t do away with edition sizes. The limited nature of these collectibles creates a rarity for them which adds to their collectibility.
MASTERSAFARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 01:35 AM   #1238
Zombiez

All these statues are still pretty limited because even if prime 1 sets an edition size of 500 that's not a lot and a few years down the line the available stock of that statue on the aftermarket will be pretty low.
Zombiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 10:14 PM   #1239
pau123
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiez View Post
All these statues are still pretty limited because even if prime 1 sets an edition size of 500 that's not a lot and a few years down the line the available stock of that statue on the aftermarket will be pretty low.
Then P1 can rerelease again by saying its another anniversary hahaha
pau123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 05:50 PM   #1240
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I think it depends on which perspective you consider.

For a "civilian" visitor to your collection room, or display - Sideshow or P1 might hold certain wow factor. Same as WETA, XM, or any number of "also-ran" companies...YMMV

Obviously from the perspective of another, mature, collector - these brand names might not hold any water. That said, I think you'll find there's a healthy debate and a high degree of subjectivity in which companies a person would consider prestigious. Some might say JND, while others might point at Infinity or Queen.....
I have plenty of stuff from those so called "also-ran" companies I would keep over any JND, Queen, or Infinity. A real "mature" collector would never agree with any of that.
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote