Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2015, 10:41 PM   #1
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

When does depression hit due to job loss?

I am writing today not to ask for sympathy but doing recent event where I lost a great job due to politics in the workplace. The "great" job itself was more about the company then the actual working environment I have ever encountered in the Healthcare division.

Getting terminated for being "creative" and I didn't fit in their scope as being part of the team was shocking. In retrospect, I knew I was odd person out because I didn't follow how many of the management team had, which was a voice and creative outlook offered to the patrons and client. I was also told that the company wanted to keep me but not with healthcare. However due to lack of growth and accounts they have, there was nothing for me.

I have been with this company for almost 7 years. It is the only company I have ever worked this long for.To not leave on your terms and not given a chance at all is a little disheartening. Essentially I was terminated for no cause at all. My passion was for the people and I have it everything else I had. In the food service business, I was only one of the few that made money for the company for corporate and campus division. With healthcare I could not because I was handicap on how far I could go.

Well after giving my notice of employment, they gave me 18 weeks of continuance salary. I decided to take 6 weeks off and relax and just take some time off. I thought it would be easy to find a job in a couple weeks. Well this is not the case. Almost 6 weeks has past and I'm still looking. I've done a few interviews and was offered a couple jobs but the salary was over 30% less then what I was currently making. I respectfully declined their offers. I know what my value is worth.

My aunts told me to take whatever job is available and look for another job afterwards. Well that's not me. The last thing I want to do is waste companies time on training me and I leave for a higher paying job when there is something else. At this point, I have been very selective with the job I want. For me, it's about growth and progression. That is what I have done for the past 23 years.

Well I have a little over 3 weeks left before my salary ends. However, doing this time, I have been quite frankly discourage but the prospect that I may have to take a huge reduction in role and pay. However, this isn't me. Doing this job search I have notice that a lot of companies post job salary expectation. I am reluctant to disclose this which may actually not land me a job.

I am at this point very bored right now. I've been watching way too many TV shows. I rather work then stay home and get paid for doing nothing. I am also hoping that I don't have to apply for EI. I also having been eating properly and probably lost a few pounds...not that I am a big guy to begin with.

At what point in my life, will depression start to hit? I am at a crossroad that I know I am better then this and not getting a job right away is leading me to where I have never been before......
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:41 PM   #2
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

Sorry to hear your predicament mate, and I’m by no means qualified to offer advice but I think your aunties are on the right track.

If you’re redundancy payment is almost gone, and your bored at home, then perhaps you should consider taking one of the other positions (on the lower pay rate). Then at least you have money coming in the door, whilst you look for a better position. It also keeps the mind active and keeps you in the game. It may go against your grain to start a job when really you’re hoping for something better but sometimes you just have to look after numero uno.

I had a friend in exactly the same boat (worked dried up and of the very few jobs that came up, they were for much less pay and very hard to get anyway). So he moved interstate, took a lower paying job, and kept his eyes and ears open until a better job came along (which it did).

As far as “when depression hits” I can’t really answer that. I’ve never suffered from depression, but all I can say is that if you feel yourself heading down that path, then get some help. Whether it’s friends, family or a suitable health care professional. But I would think that just getting back to work (even if it’s in a lesser paying role) will help. Just think of it as a stepping stone to the next big thing.
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:04 AM   #3
ratchet
Mandarin

Nidgit is as spot on as your Aunt. I would not pass on any opportunity - you may be surprised to see where it leads - even if it doesn't pay as much as you'd like to make at first
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:03 AM   #4
VS1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
Nidgit is as spot on as your Aunt. I would not pass on any opportunity - you may be surprised to see where it leads - even if it doesn't pay as much as you'd like to make at first
My only issue with this is if I was an employer and they have was a candidate that would take a huge pay cut, what does it tell them about that person? I would red flag that person and would be very hesitant to hire.

To me, lowball offers tells a lot about the company. Generally they only care about one thing and that's making money and not about the person that is working for them.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:18 AM   #5
sylvan
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

If by taking one of the cheaper job it helps you i would take it. If this save you from going down the depression path i would do it. I have had the same job for 38 years and have a lovely family and i have been down that depression path ( dont know why i was going down that path and i am still not 100 % right) and it is something you have to get on top of asap. Once you start having no money etc, it could come up very fast. I wish you good luck and get help and talk about it if you feel it coming on cheers
sylvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:46 AM   #6
ambasah
Red Skull

Firstly, I am very sorry to hear about your loss. I have had friends go through the same thing and it only gets worse over time.

The most important thing is to get back to work as soon as possible. Take whatever you can - believe me, it will only get more difficult to find ANY job as time goes by. Employers will question why you haven't been working and they will think there is a problem with you. It is much easier to get a new job while you are employed. I cannot stress this enough.

A pay cut is not the end of the world - don't let your pride or principles make things worse for you in the long run.
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:39 AM   #7
risingstar
Jedi Order

You sound like a guy who needs to keep busy -- which is likely why your creativity generally comes out in your work environments. Essentially, you believe you have a good eye for spotting cracks in the pavement and can follow-up with ideas on how to improve working conditions. That's great. However, it's important to note that being creative or voicing your opinions in that regard may not necessarily be part of your job description or be welcomed by management. Whenever you want or feel the need to demonstrate that kind of versatility and flexibility in the workplace, you risk upsetting and perhaps even offending management and unsettling the status quo, even if you believe that your ideas could potentially improve things. Perhaps your recent work environment was simply not a good fit for someone like yourself who wishes to contribute to a company's growth in that manner.

If you want more decision making power at your disposal, perhaps it's time to consider a position in management or to venture off on something on your own. Either that, or find a way to feel more at ease working within the less glamorous confines of what you were actually hired to do as opposed to what you think you could or feel entitled to do, which are often two very different things.

So where does that leave you? Well, it's clear that you're not doing yourself any favors staying at home, doing nothing, feeling sorry yourself, and harboring resentment towards your former employer. There's simply no advantage to that unless you prefer to stay angry and in the process also dismiss or minimize important growth-level insights about yourself. If I may, I would suggest that you swallow some pride and get back out there and find something you can do. You have a responsibility to keep yourself healthy and occupied otherwise what you fear the most, depression, may set in and you'll suddenly find yourself with even more to contend with psychologically. If I may, again, I suggest that you take the job you can do, even at less pay. It's not a prison sentence. You'll be able to leave if you don't like it or come across something more potentially rewarding. You'll definitely feel better working somewhere even at less pay than remaining at home and wallowing in despair.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:15 AM   #8
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Well same thing happened to me, was with a company for 11 years. Then walked in and my ex boss said he was closing down. Didn't want my help to look for more clients and try to get more work.

So i searched non stop for a job with no luck at all, Then i started to take on more and more statue work and before i knew it i was so busy with statues i just turned it into my own little job out of my house.

One i thing i learned being with a company for so long and actually saving the small business with getting them into the new age of technology that they just don't care about you in the end. So as i hunted for work i kept reading people find what you love and make it work for you as a living. its not easy and its a lot of work but as of now im more happy then ever doing what i love and being able to put food on the table.

So if you cant find something think about starting your own little thing on the side, never know where it might lead.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:43 AM   #9
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
Agreed. Its easier to find a new job when you have one
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:04 AM   #10
VS1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
You sound like a guy who needs to keep busy -- which is likely why your creativity generally comes out in your work environments. Essentially, you believe you have a good eye for spotting cracks in the pavement and can follow-up with ideas on how to improve working conditions. That's great. However, it's important to note that being creative or voicing your opinions in that regard may not necessarily be part of your job description or be welcomed by management. Whenever you want or feel the need to demonstrate that kind of versatility and flexibility in the workplace, you risk upsetting and perhaps even offending management and unsettling the status quo, even if you believe that your ideas could potentially improve things. Perhaps your recent work environment was simply not a good fit for someone like yourself who wishes to contribute to a company's growth in that manner.

If you want more decision making power at your disposal, perhaps it's time to consider a position in management or to venture off on something on your own. Either that, or find a way to feel more at ease working within the less glamorous confines of what you were actually hired to do as opposed to what you think you could or feel entitled to do, which are often two very different things.

So where does that leave you? Well, it's clear that you're not doing yourself any favors staying at home, doing nothing, feeling sorry yourself, and harboring resentment towards your former employer. There's simply no advantage to that unless you prefer to stay angry and in the process also dismiss or minimize important growth-level insights about yourself. If I may, I would suggest that you swallow some pride and get back out there and find something you can do. You have a responsibility to keep yourself healthy and occupied otherwise what you fear the most, depression, may set in and you'll suddenly find yourself with even more to contend with psychologically. If I may, again, I suggest that you take the job you can do, even at less pay. It's not a prison sentence. You'll be able to leave if you don't like it or come across something more potentially rewarding. You'll definitely feel better working somewhere even at less pay than remaining at home and wallowing in despair.
Well I have been management for 15 years. I don't beleive it was voicing an opinion that got me fired. With Healthcare, they were going into the final stages of launching Healthy Eating Guideline. The 2 people that were responsible for the project would had no job once this ended. They have been with HC for years. Though they never said it up front, I beleive I was expendable because I was the person that probably didn't fit in with what their ideal manager is. How long would I have stayed might had been short. Ideally I would like to transfer out of healthcare but that never happened.

What amazes me was I was doing two manager position to save the compamy money and that was overlooked. They replaced me with 2 people.

I am not mad at my former employer or how I was treated. I'm just disappointed how this came about. In my field, communication is the key to running a successful business. Without that, business falters and starts losing money. It is what it is.