Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 07-18-2021, 05:53 PM   #511
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
Just to play devils advocate, that WW does have an edition size of nearly 3000 pieces. And while it has a great GG facesculpt, it’s as you’ve stated a comic piece and is not representative of the armour worn in the films. So even discounting the scale, for me personally it was never an option as it seems to be straddling both comic and movie without picking a side.

And while the 1/6 Batpod hasn’t sold out, the same can’t be said for their far more expensive primary release in 1/3 scale. A lot of collectors can’t find it anywhere, and while JND does sell out quick, until recently there were still places you could find the Arthur Fleck piece months after actual release. Though of course their more recent preorders have all more or less sold out.
You're correct on all points. However, it's the perception that leaves an impression, and not (unfortunately) nuanced facts.

I should clarify that I used QS as an example - I'm not bashing QS, especially as they have a few pieces I'm genuinely interested in, WW 1/4 being one, possibly the 1/6 Catwoman the other. They're the "other" company I'm keeping an eye on....maybe Infinity Studios as well....
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:02 PM   #512
Phoenixblazes
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
You're correct on all points. However, it's the perception that leaves an impression, and not (unfortunately) nuanced facts.

I should clarify that I used QS as an example - I'm not bashing QS, especially as they have a few pieces I'm genuinely interested in, WW 1/4 being one, possibly the 1/6 Catwoman the other. They're the "other" company I'm keeping an eye on....maybe Infinity Studios as well....
I didn’t think you were.

I myself am an equal opportunity ‘basher’ when it comes to critiquing statues. I don’t care if it’s JND, Queen, Infinity, Prime 1, Iron Studios or Sideshow. As far as I’m concerned the individual statue should be judged on its own merits and not on who produced the piece.

But just as you’ll have people who are abnormally harsh with a particular companies pieces, you’ll also have those who’ll defend them to the death as well.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:33 PM   #513
chronos1919
Nightwing

The color accuracy arguments would have more validity if we had a good source of comparison. They promo images are all heavily edited and oversaturated and the scenes from the film are CGI fests in dim, grey environments. On top of that, every in-hand image/video we've seen has different lighting that alters the look of the armor.

Basically, comparing apples and oranges and complaining they're not the same.
chronos1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:22 PM   #514
Phoenixblazes
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronos1919 View Post
The color accuracy arguments would have more validity if we had a good source of comparison. They promo images are all heavily edited and oversaturated and the scenes from the film are CGI fests in dim, grey environments. On top of that, every in-hand image/video we've seen has different lighting that alters the look of the armor.

Basically, comparing apples and oranges and complaining they're not the same.
While that may be true to an extent, but do you honestly think the final look of the armour in the film in any particular scene or shot was ever the shade of gold that JND has chosen to use? Or are we making excuses for JND at this point?

Whether the armour’s look in the film has been altered in post production is sort of irrelevant to me. As what I would’ve ‘preferred’ is for the production gold to match how it more or less looked in the film (unless it was being marketed as matching a screen used prop etc, which I don’t believe is the case here). And I’m not sure if the impression I’m getting from the CEO’s translated comments are correct, but I don’t think gold accuracy to the film was ever his goal.

But it’s seems the argument for and against is just going round and round.

I’m definitely keeping my preorder, but I’m not sure if anyone can honestly say that the gold chosen is all that accurate. I really hope I’m proven wrong, but given the trend with the current released videos and images of the production piece I’m really not sure I will be.

To date no statue or bust of Wonder Woman has been perfect, so I’m just going to accept it for what it is, and appreciate it when it finally arrives in my collection.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:35 PM   #515
MPCanes
The X-Men

Well if anyone is regretting their purchase I’m sure many of us here can be hit up
MPCanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:41 PM   #516
Phoenixblazes
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPCanes View Post
Well if anyone is regretting their purchase I’m sure many of us here can be hit up
Given the demand for any JND product, I’m sure you’re right.

I’m keeping my order as I’m somewhat stubborn when it comes to my preorders, but at the same time if the preorder wasn’t met I’m not sure I would care either.

I currently have three WW pieces from Prime 1, that being the 1/3 JL, Training Armour, and the BVS 1/2 scale. I have the Queen bust on preorder, and I have 3 or so from Hot Toys, and I even have the 1/10 golden armour statue from Iron Studios. And with all those pieces none of them are perfect and all of them have their own issues; so this one from JND will simply be just another one.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:56 PM   #517
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
To date no statue or bust of Wonder Woman has been perfect, so I’m just going to accept it for what it is, and appreciate it when it finally arrives in my collection.
As much as this sounds like (and probably is) a "compromise" mindset - I also think it's the BEST approach.

You see, there will NEVER be a "perfect" version of anything. Everything is an adaptation of an idea, reimagined through the eyes (and skills) of the artists.

I think JND would have saved a lot of hassle, if they marketed their statues as "based on".....such and such character from such and such film.....but people can be so anally retentive, they'd simply complain that they want a 100% movie accurate piece, which is impossible to deliver. Many collectors simply aren't mature enough to accept, and, to a point, enjoy the limitations of this hobby.....and, by the way, I include myself in that crowd - I complained about the likeness ofthe C. Bale sculpt by Queen Studios.

Don't get me wrong, the companies don't help themselves with their over hyped marketing, building our expectations only to fall far short of what they promise.

But in that batch of companies, I think we have to give credit to JND for their relative transparency (I mean, they admitted they modified the gold - whether we like it or not) where MOST other companies would say nothing and just hope you won't notice.

This statue isn't a replica movie prop.....it's an artistic rendention based on the WW84 film, and Gal Gadot. Just as the WW84 film itself was an "artistic" rendition of the D.C. Comic book character.....some people think they're paying the high price because of the Gal Gadot likeness, and the "accuracy" to the film.....from my perspective you're paying for a production detailed, as close to real human likeness sculpt, with glass eyes, real hair, and skin textures - which happens to also, somewhat, look like Gal Gadot.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:03 PM   #518
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Given the demand for any JND product, I’m sure you’re right.

I’m keeping my order as I’m somewhat stubborn when it comes to my preorders, but at the same time if the preorder wasn’t met I’m not sure I would care either.

I currently have three WW pieces from Prime 1, that being the 1/3 JL, Training Armour, and the BVS 1/2 scale. I have the Queen bust on preorder, and I have 3 or so from Hot Toys, and I even have the 1/10 golden armour statue from Iron Studios. And with all those pieces none of them are perfect and all of them have their own issues; so this one from JND will simply be just another one.
Damn, are you a WW super fan? Why so many versions of this character? Is she the only character you collect?
Old 07-19-2021, 06:14 PM   #519
Phoenixblazes
Hawkman

Quote:
As much as this sounds like (and probably is) a "compromise" mindset - I also think it's the BEST approach.

You see, there will NEVER be a "perfect" version of anything. Everything is an adaptation of an idea, reimagined through the eyes (and skills) of the artists.

I think JND would have saved a lot of hassle, if they marketed their statues as "based on".....such and such character from such and such film.....but people can be so anally retentive, they'd simply complain that they want a 100% movie accurate piece, which is impossible to deliver. Many collectors simply aren't mature enough to accept, and, to a point, enjoy the limitations of this hobby.....and, by the way, I include myself in that crowd - I complained about the likeness ofthe C. Bale sculpt by Queen Studios.

Don't get me wrong, the companies don't help themselves with their over hyped marketing, building our expectations only to fall far short of what they promise.

But in that batch of companies, I think we have to give credit to JND for their relative transparency (I mean, they admitted they modified the gold - whether we like it or not) where MOST other companies would say nothing and just hope you won't notice.

This statue isn't a replica movie prop.....it's an artistic rendention based on the WW84 film, and Gal Gadot. Just as the WW84 film itself was an "artistic" rendition of the D.C. Comic book character.....some people think they're paying the high price because of the Gal Gadot likeness, and the "accuracy" to the film.....from my perspective you're paying for a production detailed, as close to real human likeness sculpt, with glass eyes, real hair, and skin textures - which happens to also, somewhat, look like Gal Gadot.
I agree with pretty much everything you’ve said. It doesn’t help matters that the only thing running through my head when I look at a JND product is Daniel always saying that they at JND are “detailed.....oriented”.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:25 PM   #520
Phoenixblazes
Hawkman

Quote:
Damn, are you a WW super fan? Why so many versions of this character? Is she the only character you collect?
No, not really. I probably have twice as many Batman pieces in my collection, I’m just addicted to this game. At last count I probably have around 100 or so statues and replicas in 1/4 scale and up. Plus approximately 70 1/10’s and 80 1/6 scale figures. By definition I’m kind of a hoarder and my display is kind of a mess at the moment.

I’m a bigger MCU fan, and I would’ve preferred my collection to lean more that way, if not for the previous lack of quality pieces. I pretty much have all of Iron Studios 1/4 scale pieces, with a fair chunk of their 1/10 scales too. But with Queen I’m preordering a fair chunk of their pieces too, and trying to lean more in the direction of their MCU pieces with future preorders to balance out my collection.