Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 03-03-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
risingstar
Jedi Order

Montreal Canadiens stink!!

I realize there are only like three of you out there in statueforumland who even know what the sport of NHL Hockey is so my rant will be brief...

All I need to say is that the Montreal Canadiens totally stink!! They started out with such a bang and then... pffft... Choke city.

Last night's game was brutal! I can't remember the last time I witnessed such brutal goaltending. David Aebischer is playing himself out of the major leagues. The guy couldn't stop a beach ball moving in slow motion.

Blechh.

risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:57 PM   #2
'Nuff
ROT Minister of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
I realize there are only like three of you out there in statueforumland who even know what the sport of NHL Hockey is so my rant will be brief...

All I need to say is that the Montreal Canadiens totally stink!! They started out with such a bang and then... pffft... Choke city.

Last night's game was brutal! I can't remember the last time I witnessed such brutal goaltending. David Aebischer is playing himself out of the major leagues. The guy couldn't stop a beach moving in slow motion.

Blechh.

On the UP side...They still have more of Lord Stanley's Cups than anyone else...And more championships than any major league team sport...with the Exception of the NY Yankees...
'Nuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:29 PM   #3
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Nuff View Post
On the UP side...They still have more of Lord Stanley's Cups than anyone else...And more championships than any major league team sport...with the Exception of the NY Yankees...
Sure, 24 cups is great. Unfortunately, no one cares. Montreal offered Shanahan more money than NY to play there yet he declined. No doubt, that had to do with the fact that Quebec taxes players roughly 20-30% more than any other location in the league. That could cost a player millions. Even worse, because of Quebec's ridiculously outdated and prejudicial language laws, whenever players come to Montreal, there are forced to send their kids to an all-French school, regardless of whether they speak a word of French or not. All this to say that Montreal, as a Hockey city, is in major trouble.

And another thing... What the heck is Nashville doing atop the standings? Bettman keeps on selling new franchises throughout the Uninterested States and dilutes the arguably limited talent pool in the process. He's killing the sport. There are loads of players in the league who don't deserve to be there.

P.S. Little known stat... The Montreal Canadiens pay more taxes than all of the other 25 teams combined. It's insane.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:38 PM   #4
'Nuff
ROT Minister of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

Quote:
Sure, 24 cups is great. Unfortunately, no one cares. Montreal offered Shanahan more money than NY to play there yet he declined. No doubt, that had to do with the fact that Quebec taxes players roughly 20-30% more than any other location in the league. That could cost a player millions. Even worse, because of Quebec's ridiculously outdated and prejudicial language laws, whenever players come to Montreal, there are forced to send their kids to an all-French school, regardless of whether they speak a word of French or not. All this to say that Montreal, as a Hockey city, is in major trouble.

And another thing... What the heck is Nashville doing atop the standings? Bettman keeps on selling new franchises throughout the Uninterested States and dilutes the arguably limited talent pool in the process. He's killing the sport. There are loads of players in the league who don't deserve to be there.

P.S. Little known stat... The Montreal Canadiens pay more taxes than all of the other 25 teams combined. It's insane.
Sounds like you ought to run for office...Political...not work...
'Nuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:04 AM   #5
nightstar1441
Doh!

The Habs need Huet in net.

And trading Rivet to San Jose was not the most intelligent move. A fan favorite and a very solid blue liner!
nightstar1441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:12 AM   #6
The Watcher
Loki

The high cost of taxes.

Quote:

Could this also be why they don't have any other major league sports teams (NBA, MLB, etc.)?
The Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:50 PM   #7
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
Could this also be why they don't have any other major league sports teams (NBA, MLB, etc.)?

In a major way, yes. However, it's also for very political reasons.

Montreal is a predominantly French city (about 75-80% French). Unless there are going to be some Francophones on the team, don't expect much interest or support. You would be amazed at the level of prejudice Anglophones face in this city. It is astounding.

There is actually a language police that goes around the city looking for English language only signs. Whomever has one, gets fined. Even worse, recently, a graduating year of English speaking doctors/residents were forced to take a graduate level french comprehension test which took about 4 hours to complete. As you'd expect, most failed as it wasn't their first language (nor the language they were taught or expected to work in). They weren't allowed to get their license, hence could not work, even though they had all the training they needed and were actually born in the city! Most decided to leave for greener pastures anywhere else in North America. Given the shortage of physicians in NA, this is an incredibly stupid way to let them slip through your fingers. There are literally 100s of other examples where language was used to browbeat, alienate and isolate people.

If you needed an operation, would you care if your doctor spoke French in order to comply with some prejudicial political agenda? Quebec is a mess. There's a large population just waiting for Amnesty International to step in. It's very much a two classe system where one political side feels incredibly more entitled than the other. Very sad. I am so embarrassed to have been born there.